PDA

View Full Version : Does A Stock Market Crash Lead to More Bridgejumping?

stu
01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Y'all,

I am curious if there will be more bridgejumping today going forward as some will think that the pseudo '5% guarantee' is safer than the equity markets.

Was there an increase in bridgejumping following October 29, 1929 or October 14, 1987?

While today won't be as bad as Black Friday or Black Monday in terms of single day point drop or single day percentage drop, it will be bad.

I am just curious how many triple digit show prices we will see in the coming week.

asH
01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Interesting thought Stu, suppose there would be a spike in handle on the days following. Odds aren’t affected by the market...but what a learning curve.

asH

phatbastard
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
fed cuts rates= welfare for corporations and investors....saved the day

soon it will take wheelbarrows of $$$$ to buy groceries, but the rich will still be able to eat

Onion Monster
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
If people are becoming more pessimistic about the value of stocks and the economy in general, wouldn't they also be more pessimistic at the track? I would think bridge-jumping would be more akin to irrational exuberance: this horse will not finish off the board. During a depression, few people believe in such mortal locks.

Sadly, I would expect to see fewer bridge-jumpers at the track and more-bridge jumpers at the river.

asH
01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
If people are becoming more pessimistic about the value of stocks and the economy in general, wouldn't they also be more pessimistic at the track? I would think bridge-jumping would be more akin to irrational exuberance: this horse will not finish off the board. During a depression, few people believe in such mortal locks.

Sadly, I would expect to see fewer bridge-jumpers at the track and more-bridge jumpers at the river.

I think bridge jumpers are over calculating to a fault, and are extremely worrisome people. Irrational Exuberance (Greenspan), would be doubling up on your bets only because you just killed the triple.
asH

Teach
01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't think 90% of the "punters" worry about the stock market. Personally, I know more about betting horses than playing the markets. I know some snooty stock players look down their noses at us tracksters. Hey, isn't playing the stock market just sophisticated gambling. I call it "white collar" gambling, as opposed to "blue collar."

During the height of the Great Depression the humorist Will Rogers once said, "It ain't the interest I'm worrying about, it's the principal."

wegoosewe
01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
my dad trades stock for living. He told me that even during a recession there is still profitable moves to make in the market. such as companies that no matter how poor you are people will still need them.. johnson and johnson is a good one. they make baby products. people are always going to need that stuff.. you wouldnt make a killing but you will be buying for the long term you grind out nice profits.

asH
01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
good point

asH

Tremendous Machine
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
fed cuts rates= welfare for corporations and investors....saved the day

soon it will take wheelbarrows of $$$$ to buy groceries, but the rich will still be able to eat

I've never seen anybody so accurately articulate their utter ignorance. And I've watched HRTV!

onefast99
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I hope that someone locks this one up! Please...:faint:

judd
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
keep in mind a recession is not a depression :bang:

pic6vic
01-22-2008, 05:27 PM
gambling increases during a recession

onefast99
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
keep in mind a recession is not a depression :bang:
Yep we are in one. A recession that is or a depression for those who go bridgejumping and lose.:(

RXB
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Like the poor sap(s) who laid it down heavy to show on a shaky 1/5 in the 1st today at Pha.

rokitman
01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm sure a lot of people get the bright idea that they will make some money in horseracing when they get in a financial squeeze. But they won't make the leap all the way to bridge jumping. It takes years of experience to get that dumb. You're much more likey to find them in the trifecta pool.