PDA

View Full Version : MLK Day

ddog
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
If you lived through it and it didn't move you then you have a heart of stone.

I will NEVER forget martial law and marching in our small town during that period.

One of the proudest moments of my life.

MLK - memphis 1968.
"And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?
Well, I don't know what will happen now.
We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop.
And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life.
Longevity has its place.
But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.
And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land.
And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man.
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

46zilzal
01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Men of peace are continually attacked by thugs with the MIGHT makes right mantra.

delayjf
01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.
And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land.
And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man.
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

What, no comments about the separation of Church and State. :confused:

46zilzal
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Men of peace have philosophies that transcend any specific religion.

Buddha, Ghandi, Mandella, Oskar Schindler, the Swedish fellow, Raoul Wallenberg, who saved hundreds of Jews in Hungary or Turkey and was taken prisoner by the Soviets, etc.

Always labeled as "weak" by the thugs of the world, they somehow get things done without violence. Same goes for Dr. King.

JustRalph
01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
don't forget, it is Robert E. Lee day in some states...............

Burls
01-21-2008, 11:20 PM

And your point is?

JustRalph
01-22-2008, 12:45 AM
And your point is?

my point is that some may not know that. I just found it out today, pretty shocking to me..........Alabama and Arkansas..........amazing

chickenhead
01-22-2008, 01:05 AM
the "If I had to Sneeze" speech ddog excerpted. A magnificent man, to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvn3tkUuklo

bigmack
01-22-2008, 01:58 AM
It was a time that was due for change and Michael King was well qualified to lead. For me, his Southern Baptist orator skills made more of a statement than the substance of his speeches. The message he delivered was needed & he did so in a dignified manner.

I can't say that he was magnificent or great man. The day is in remembrance of him, & a time, and a cause that hopefully has been, and is, achieved.

Tom
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Did you catch the video of Billy Boy Clinton, sitting on stage at a MLK observance, nodding off? :lol::lol::lol:

Great tribute.

ddog
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
my point is that some may not know that. I just found it out today, pretty shocking to me..........Alabama and Arkansas..........amazing

i am glad you are catching up.
This is still NEWS?

Of course I may have an advantage since I hve a little prop in Arkansas.

Just another day down there.
Wouldn't kill 'em to come along, but I can live with that.

ddog
01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
What, no comments about the separation of Church and State. :confused:

I don't get your point, but I guess that's normal.

A preacher civil rights leader and separation of church and state are conflated in your post to prove what exactly?
Or are you making a martial law argument?

paint me, talk about confused!

ddog
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
It was a time that was due for change and Michael King was well qualified to lead. For me, his Southern Baptist orator skills made more of a statement than the substance of his speeches. The message he delivered was needed & he did so in a dignified manner.

I can't say that he was magnificent or great man. The day is in remembrance of him, & a time, and a cause that hopefully has been, and is, achieved.

I have always viewed it as more for the movement than the man as there were millions that helped , one man couldn't do much but he did give some hope to many including me.

delayjf
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
A preacher civil rights leader and separation of church and state are conflated in your post to prove what exactly?
Or are you making a martial law argument?

I simply found it amusing that Christians are made fun of (waving arms in the air) on this board and at the same time praised by the same members while invoking a speech that is replete with Christian rhetoric - minus the arm waving. I’m surprised the ACLU or Michael Newdow (Pledge of Allegiance lawsuit) has not tried to have this speech banned from public view due to it’s Christian content.

Marshall Bennett
01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
There were two parades in Houston on MLK day . One in the morning and another in the afternoon . Now the organizers of the two are at odds over which parade should be proclaimed the actual " MLK parade " , suggesting there should only be one parade ..... go figure !!

delayjf
01-22-2008, 01:29 PM
IMHO,

The should move MLK day to Aug to coinside with his speech on the Mall. The could put up a huge jumbo screen and replay the speech from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial as it was origionally delivered. It would also be good for the economy located in the summer as opposed to January less than a month after X-mas.

Gittup
01-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Only in those that refuse to admit they LOST the "Civil" War.

JustRalph
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I simply found it amusing that Christians are made fun of (waving arms in the air) on this board and at the same time praised by the same members while invoking a speech that is replete with Christian rhetoric - minus the arm waving. I’m surprised the ACLU or Michael Newdow (Pledge of Allegiance lawsuit) has not tried to have this speech banned from public view due to it’s Christian content.

Great post!!! Classic Gotcha!

GaryG
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
don't forget, it is Robert E. Lee day in some states...............Five states - Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama - mark Robert E. Lee's birthday, January 19, as an official holiday

46zilzal
01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Five states - Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama - mark Robert E. Lee's birthday, January 19, as an official holiday
Regardless of what his last military connection might have been, this fellow was a remarkable guy. Very bright.

Gittup
01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Five states - Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama - mark Robert E. Lee's birthday, January 19, as an official holiday
They LOST!!! Yet refuse to admit it. Danged crackers!

Tom
01-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Any facts to back up that drivel? Which states say they - point me to the facts. Or are you lying?

Gittup
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Any facts to back up that drivel? Which states say they - point me to the facts. Or are you lying?
Open any history book. Note what happened between Grant and Lee.
Lee surrendered. Facts????

Tom
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
They LOST!!! Yet refuse to admit it. Danged crackers!

Get someone to read this to you - YOU said the states, not Lee - which ones deny they lost? Just another gutter dwelling liar.

Gittup
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Get someone to read this to you - YOU said the states, not Lee - which ones deny they lost? Just another gutter dwelling liar.
The ones that celebrate Robert E Lee Day on MLK day.
You're brain is still a bit clouded, but it will clear up, the longer you stay with the program.
When you refer to "gutter dwelling liar", that's in a different thread dealing with Bush and Cheney.
Clear up Tommy. I care, and fully support your recovery.