PDA

View Full Version : Vista and all that goes along with it.....

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I love it! I thought I wouldn't, but I do. Of course, I have some serious horsepower running it, but that's a must.

I especially love Windows Mail (replaces Outlook Express) and how it deals with unwanted email.

If you have the horsepower, I suggest giving Vista a whirl (I'm running the Ultimate Edition).

Of course, I went straight from Windows 2000 Pro to Vista Ultimate, passing XP altogether (except for minor exposure to XP on my handheld and at work).

I also like IE 7, although the home page of PA is a bit messed up in IE 7....the green menu bar is crashing a bit into the logo....that will be fixed....

xtb
01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I also like IE 7, although the home page of PA is a bit messed up in IE 7....the green menu bar is crashing a bit into the logo....that will be fixed....

It's doing the same thing with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and the track under the horse is missing. It looks good with IE 6 however.

ranchwest
01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Vista is very nice as long as you can tolerate it being secure, even from yourself. :confused:

BillW
01-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Vista is very nice as long as you can tolerate it being secure, even from yourself. :confused:

The proverbial "yourself" is typically the biggest security threat when running Windows anyway, isn't it? :lol:

DanG
01-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I love it! I thought I wouldn't, but I do. Of course, I have some serious horsepower running it, but that's a must.

This is the first glowing endorsement I have read on Vista that wasn’t coming from someone who had a stake in the company. (Or do you Mike?) ;)

18 or so months ago when I was shopping for a notebook computer for my daughter we checked out all the latest and greatest. The levels of complex security in Vista were MIND BOGGLINING!!! :bang:

We ended up with a MacBook and it was like comparing simplicity with a rats nest.

In all fairness Mike; you do have an advanced knowledge of computers, so the barbed wire that frustrates many isn’t an issue for you. Just to launch this site would take me two lifetimes to figure out. :eek:

BillW
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Another question - would you recommend for the average user to upgrading to Vista, or simply not be afraid to buy a new system with it installed? For instance, I have XP on my laptop and would not upgrade as I only run HTR and it works fine. The risk would be too great with no upside possible - you can't improve on working "fine". But, I am not an "average" user.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I left all those levels of security ON for my mother-in-law's laptop that she purchased from DELL (we had no choice on OS). And I agree....it SUCKS with all that left on....

Which is why I immediately turned OFF the dreaded USER ACCOUNT CONTROL....now...no more pain-in-ass handholding security messages.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Another question - would you recommend for the average user to upgrading to Vista, or simply not be afraid to buy a new system with it installed? For instance, I have XP on my laptop and would not upgrade as I only run HTR and it works fine. The risk would be too great with no upside possible - you can't improve on working "fine". But, I am not an "average" user.Average user comfortable with XP? No, I would not recommend an upgrade at this time.

I upgraded to Vista because I was building a brand new system that I knew could handle everything Vista threw at it....

If you're not running one of the latest Intel processors with a minimum of 4GB of ram, I wouldn't recommend an update to Vista.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
It's doing the same thing with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and the track under the horse is missing. It looks good with IE 6 however.Thanks for that...I didn't even realize the dirt was missing....quick fix it was....plus I tightened up the spacing a bit....looks a little cleaner....

Gibbon
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I love it! As more consumers move to Vista and eventually Windows 7.0, DRM {also, here (http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/analysis-of-microsofts-suicide-note-part-1) and here (http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/analysis-of-microsoft-s-suicide-note-part-2)} may be the final body blow. 7 reasons why Micro$haft is doomed (http://www.askreamaor.com/microsoft-and-windows/reasons-why-microsoft-is-doomed/)

My personal experience with Vista, other than Micro$haft software, third party apps have horrid performance even if they allegedly work with vista. I’ve experimented with all the major virus products. Non of them work as intended despite the fact they claim to be Vista compatible. The major tax/accounting software, again just awful performance. For you gamers; again dreadful performance - although improvements expected with SP1

If you have the horsepower Yes.

I also like IE 7 If you’re M$ centric you should use Avant (http://www.avantbrowser.com/) Browser. Same trident rendering engine only faster and far more flexible.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2008, 01:25 AM
My personal experience with Vista, other than Micro$haft software, third party apps have horrid performance even if they allegedly work with vista. I’ve experimented with all the major virus products. Non of them work as intended despite the fact they claim to be Vista compatible. The major tax/accounting software, again just awful performance. For you gamers; again dreadful performance - although improvements expected with SP1That's odd. I have had zero trouble thus far with third party apps that I have moved over from my W2kPro machine, and I am an avid gamer. I just finished up Crysis, which was AWESOME, and now I am working on Call of Duty 4, which again, is running FANTASTIC on my Vista box.

Of course, I could have saved a lot of money and just bought an X-box, but I'm a hobbyist, and that would be boring.

wilderness
01-22-2008, 01:11 PM

PA,
There "may" be an option for custom CSS which would solve the issue, at least for you personally.

Gibbon
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
PA,

Most any recent game from EA sports integrate well with directX 10. That's all well and good for games made with Vista in mind, but what about your existing game library?

I’ve got 50+ games for small children. Don’t play on vista. As I stated, mucho gusto improvements incorporated into SP1 for Vista including a kernel update.

Crysis ... Call of Duty 4 CoD was developed with vista in mind and release in mid 2007. You may also enjoy BioShock

Gibbon
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Wonder how many software players use Vista for their apps? There is a whole page dedicated to massaging formulator.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
PA,

Most any recent game from EA sports integrate well with directX 10. That's all well and good for games made with Vista in mind, but what about your existing game library? I kind of fell out of the gaming mood over the last year or two, and I rarely go back and play games that I have "finished." Thus, I haven't run into that problem quite yet....

JustRalph
01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I kind of fell out of the gaming mood over the last year or two, and I rarely go back and play games that I have "finished." Thus, I haven't run into that problem quite yet....

Tried a Wii yet? I have one........... love it..........but it isn't exactly high end stuff.........
so far I have only played the baby stuff.............sports and something called

Rayman Rabbits, which is juvenile, but fun as hell.

BF0UZFAu1r8

just got a kill em kind of game..............

Resident Evil 4............

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2008, 03:07 AM
I've played the Wii that my dad bought himself last year (funny, when I was growing up, he wasn't into video games at all, really). He loves the thing, and I have to admit, it is a lot of fun.....