PDA

View Full Version : Giants running backs

Valuist
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
I can't remember a group of RBs so deep as the Giants last year and this season. Here's who they've had:

Tiki Barber--one of the top 4 running backs from 2002-2006. Retired after last season
Brandon Jacobs--topped 1000 rush yards in only 11 games (95 per game). Was on pace for 1500.
Derrick Ward---played exactly half the season (8 games) yet rushed for over 600.
Ruben Droughns---topped 1200 rush yards in both 2004 and 2005.
Ryan Grant---was cut in 2007 preseason and had a huge year for Packers, averaging over 5 yards per carry.
Ahmad Bradshaaw--in limited playing time averaged an unheard of 8 yards per carry.

Have to give the Packers credit for realizing how loaded the Giant backfield was, and taking a flyer on Grant.

njcurveball
01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
And how amazing is it that they are one score away from the Super Bowl without Tiki "big mouth" Barber? :ThmbUp:

With all his crying in the beginning of the year, they should make him sit naked on the sidelines tonight.

Ummm, nah! Not a pretty sight there! :eek:

cj
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Grant wasn't cut, he was traded.

njcurveball
01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Memo to Tiki!

The Giants are going to the Super Bowl WITHOUT YOU!

Valuist
01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Grant wasn't cut, he was traded.

I looked it up and yes, he was traded for a 6th round pick on the final day of cutdowns. Had the trade not been consummated, he would've been cut or put on the practice squad.

But not bad value getting him for only a 6th round pick.

andicap
01-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Memo to Tiki!

The Giants are going to the Super Bowl WITHOUT YOU!

LOL!!!!!
I've got such conflicting feelings about Tiki. I mean, he's a Hall of Fame back for sure. Just great great great on the field.
But I always got the feeling it was all about Tiki -- all those media appearances calcuated to build up his image. How there wasn't a microphone he wouldn't take. Never saw him as a "uniter" on the team the way Strahan is -- (the real heart and soul of the Giants.)

This is really a sweet, sweet one for so many reasons --

:jump: :jump: :jump:

DanG
01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
LOL!!!!!
I've got such conflicting feelings about Tiki. I mean, he's a Hall of Fame back for sure. Just great great great on the field.
But I always got the feeling it was all about Tiki -- all those media appearances calcuated to build up his image. How there wasn't a microphone he wouldn't take. Never saw him as a "uniter" on the team the way Strahan is -- (the real heart and soul of the Giants.)

This is really a sweet, sweet one for so many reasons --

I agree on the divisiveness of Barber, but I respectfully disagree on the “for sure” hall of fame part. Not a large enough body of work and his first few years he fumbled more than any 30 in the hall.

I feel its no coincidence that Eli raised his game without Barber AND Shockey in the huddle. With Eli’s personality you can only have so many massive egos in a small space.

cj
01-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I definitely agree Shockey is addition by subtraction.

cj
02-03-2008, 10:59 PM
It was kind of odd seeing him up in the booth. Hard to say what you do with him. Maybe he grows up and makes the Champs even better.

Valuist
02-04-2008, 08:18 AM
It is ironic that they would win without two of the bigger a-holes from last year's team. Definitely makes a case that team chemistry does count for something.

rastajenk
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Hmmm...maybe my Bengals should dump the Chad after all. He's been the hot topic in sportstalk land here the last week or so, running his mouth at every opportunity (and during Super Bowl week, there have been plenty of opportunities). Perhaps it is time to work on that chemistry thing.