PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Downs

CryingForTheHorses
01-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I just came back from TBD where I raced 3 horses thurs fri and sat..All 3 picked up checks. I have fallen in love with this track with their very friendly people who even thanked me for running there.I also met the RS a very nice lady.The track is very leg friendly on the horses and I do plan to race there more over the winter.I just wanted to thank them people for making sure I had stalls and making sure everything was ok. TAmpa Bay Downs is a nice place to race..To my lurker friend who said Hello to me..You run a good ship...Thanks

DanG
01-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I just came back from TBD where I raced 3 horses thurs fri and sat..All 3 picked up checks. I have fallen in love with this track with their very friendly people who even thanked me for running there.I also met the RS a very nice lady.The track is very leg friendly on the horses and I do plan to race there more over the winter.I just wanted to thank them people for making sure I had stalls and making sure everything was ok. TAmpa Bay Downs is a nice place to race..To my lurker friend who said Hello to me..You run a good ship...Thanks
:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Tom
01-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Congrats, Tom....and Tampa Bay :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

BTW, I took your advice and am playing GP - turf only.
As far as I'm concerned, NYRA is closed this year. These doofuses are too stupid to bother with. GP turf is pretty profitable, as is SA, Tam, and FG. Who need dirt OR poly? :D I'm, playing palm trees and green grass.

kenwoodallpromos
01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
I've heard for awhile that TBD is good for bettors- I'm glad to hear it is also good for horsemen!!

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I personally love Tampa....good to see they treat McSchell good as well!

garyoz
01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Don't ever remember a bad thing being said about Tampa Bay on this forum. They certainly provide great betting action. Good jockey colony, fair track, great turf course, nice to hear about the good management....best of luck McSchell.

Zaf
01-20-2008, 05:25 PM
McSchell, Congats on Surrealdeal finishing 3rd in the Pasco Stakes ! :jump:

Z

trying2win
01-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Can someone tell me:

--Is it the Florida horsemen or the Tampa Bay Downs management, that is stonewalling PREMIER TURF CLUB from getting a contract to carry the Tampa Bay Downs races? :confused:

--I wouldn't mind betting on the Tampa Bay Downs races, but my only option at present, would be through Horseplayer Interactive....UGH! No thanks. Would rather bet through PTC.

On the good side, I believe I read somewhere that Tampa Bay Downs reduced the takeout on a couple of bet types in the last year or two. Hope someone can verify that. If it's true, kudos to the track management for that! :ThmbUp:

jma
01-21-2008, 06:52 AM
http://tampaturf.blogspot.com/2007/12/reduced-takeoutpick-6-added-for-this.html

As of this meet, Pick 4 takeout dropped from 25% to 20%; Pick 3 from 21% to 20%; and win/place/show from 18% to 17.5%.

Tampa's a great track to bet. One of the biggest racing success stories in recent years---the handle seems to grow each season.

point given
01-21-2008, 10:27 AM

Nice to read your comments on Tampa, a people / horse friendly place . I just wish the other place would be so enlightened, instead of being a glitz, marketing machine, which has no heart or soul, which makes customers feel very uncomfortable and stay away. Continued good luck to you and your merry band of pranksters, er, horses ! ;)

onefast99
01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
We will continue to have 2 or three horses there every winter. Great people in the racing office who are very friendly and look to help the horseman in any way shape or form. I will have Another Month in the 2x 6f on 1-26. Good post by McShell.

Wickel
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Tampa Bay Downs is one of the delights of winter racing. I call it the premier "mid-major" of thoroughbred racing.

DanG
01-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Just to put in perspective where Tampa has come from…

In the late 70’s we vacationed in Tampa and visited track for the 1st time. Went down to the walking ring and one claimer had duct tape holding on their front wraps that looked like leftover gauze from a M*A*S*H episode. I kid you not… :faint:

In this case…Good things happened to good people. :ThmbUp:

Tom
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Dan,
Finger Lakes shipper.
:rolleyes:

Was it Florida Downs back then?

GaryG
01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Was it Florida Downs back then?I thought it was called Sunshine Park.

Tom
01-21-2008, 12:43 PM
That too.
Lots of aliases.:D

DanG
01-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Dan,
Finger Lakes shipper.
:rolleyes:
Was it Florida Downs back then?
LOL Tom!!!

Here’s a link to their illustrious history…

http://www.tampabaydowns.com/documents/Racing/2007-08mediaguide3.pdf

Dates of note;

1966: renamed Florida Downs (Formerly Sunshine Park)
1980: renamed Tampa Bay Downs.
And a personal favorite date that Kenny Mayne’s always refers too… :jump:

1943: The Army converted the barns to barracks and the track to a Jungle Warfare Training Center!

46zilzal
01-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I personally love Tampa....good to see they treat McSchell good as well!
We agree 100%

CryingForTheHorses
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
The great thing about Tampa is the type of races that are in the condition book...Every type of horse gets a fair chance to run as long as you enter and know how to read the book properly.GP is looking for the creme of the crop and yet dont give many horse chances that do have conditions,Then there is always the chance of the race not going.At Tampa the large fields give you a chance to claim and get the horse. At GP,If a horse is hot in a race ,You always have to shake for the claim..The purses for the claiming races at Tamp are killing the horses for the cheaper claimers at GP as they are going to Tampa because they get in and have a chance to run. No owner wants to pay a day rate and have to wait 3 weeks to run...Geeze Tampa is just what my weekend warriors need!!!

trying2win
01-22-2008, 05:36 AM
No one seems to want to volunteer an answer to my question about who's stonewalling PTC from getting the Tampa Bay Downs signal. It seems either the horsemen and/or track management have hidden agendas. Oh well...that's okay...if I want to bet the Tampa Bay races, I'll find an offshore racebook that offers rebates and bet through them. Then the Tampa Bay track and horsemen won't receive any benefits from my bets.

phatbastard
01-22-2008, 05:43 AM
...i remember some fallout from TBD a few years ago that they wouldn't deal with rebate shops....same time that Oaklawn was doing same thing...

trying2win
01-22-2008, 05:59 AM
...i remember some fallout from TBD a few years ago that they wouldn't deal with rebate shops....same time that Oaklawn was doing same thing...

I wonder if that was onshore rebate shops? I've exchanged emails with some racetrack and/or horsemen association executive types. Some of them use the flimsy excuse that rebates give some horseplayers an unfair advantage. What a bunch of baloney, in my opinion! Next they'll be saying that they don't want to do business with those horseplayers that are using the most expensive types of handicapping software, because they also have an unfair advantage over their regular customers who can't afford to use such software.

alydar
01-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Berube won't let in a rebate shop. He is pretty strong on that.

phatbastard
01-22-2008, 10:36 AM
the ST Kitts operation heralded the end of some tracks dealings with rebate shops

1st time lasix
01-22-2008, 12:01 PM
http://tampaturf.blogspot.com/2007/12/reduced-takeoutpick-6-added-for-this.html

As of this meet, Pick 4 takeout dropped from 25% to 20%; Pick 3 from 21% to 20%; and win/place/show from 18% to 17.5%.

Tampa's a great track to bet. One of the biggest racing success stories in recent years---the handle seems to grow each season. trifectas and superfectas are nearly 26% however. No thanks!

GaryG
01-22-2008, 01:59 PM
The great thing about Tampa is the type of races that are in the condition book...Every type of horse gets a fair chance to run as long as you enter and know how to read the book properly.GP is looking for the creme of the crop and yet dont give many horse chances that do have conditions,Then there is always the chance of the race not going.At Tampa the large fields give you a chance to claim and get the horse. At GP,If a horse is hot in a race ,You always have to shake for the claim..The purses for the claiming races at Tamp are killing the horses for the cheaper claimers at GP as they are going to Tampa because they get in and have a chance to run. No owner wants to pay a day rate and have to wait 3 weeks to run...Geeze Tampa is just what my weekend warriors need!!!Good luck with Atlas Peak tomorrow, I think he can win it.

trying2win
01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
trifectas and superfectas are nearly 26% however. No thanks!

If some the highbrow, racetrack and/or horsemen association executives think giving rebates to bettors gives them an unfair advantage, they should clean up their own backyard first when it comes to 'unfair advantages' in their favor. Racetracks are famous for some things 'unfair' to bettors...a couple of examples...25 % + takeouts on 3 to 6 horse gimmick bets at many U.S.A. and Canadian tracks, and dime breakage at most U.S.A. tracks. :ThmbDown:

Si2see
01-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Good luck with Atlas Peak tomorrow, I think he can win it.

Let's Hope !!!!

jma
01-22-2008, 09:16 PM
If some the highbrow, racetrack and/or horsemen association executives think giving rebates to bettors gives them an unfair advantage, they should clean up their own backyard first when it comes to 'unfair advantages' in their favor. Racetracks are famous for some things 'unfair' to bettors...a couple of examples...25 % + takeouts on 3 to 6 horse gimmick bets at many U.S.A. and Canadian tracks, and dime breakage at most U.S.A. tracks. :ThmbDown:

At least they dropped the takeout. Unlike most tracks, they're moving in the right direction, not the wrong one.