PDA

View Full Version : registry cleaners

banacek
01-19-2008, 07:35 PM
One of my computers is running a little too slow. And on occassion way too slow - the pages disappear slowly like I was still on dial-up - but usually it is just a little slow. I have all the usual virus, spam and spyware things on it. I did a complete scan and it seems ok there. I haven't really used a registry cleaner - and not sure I should - and wondered if it was a good idea and if anyone could suggest a good one. Or if the registry cleaner is the wrong move if anyone has suggestions of other software to help with the problem.

Thanks

robert99
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Iolo System Mechanic has a wide range of included utilities for speeding up PCs including registry.

CCleaner (free) cleans up most areas and can clean registry

Registry Mechanic is a safe registry cleaner.

Linux is an actual operating system.

njcurveball
01-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Or if the registry cleaner is the wrong move if anyone has suggestions of other software to help with the problem.

It is a very tough issue, since some software does a "clean" uninstall and others do not. There are also files placed in the Windows directory that never get cleaned out.

Make sure you have a restore point AND a good back-up BEFORE you do this stuff.

My friend learned the hard way. He bought it, read all of the "ease of use" instructions and then had the machine to the point where it would not even boot up after using it.

A computer running "slow" is often caused by one "memory hog". For example, in my case, if I let Oracle start up when I boot it takes 3 minutes. If I disable the Oracle services, it takes 20 seconds.

Another offender is ANY messaging service. AOL, MSN, YAHOO, etc. Also look at any toolbars you have installed. Many applications automatically install the Google toolbar unless you are smart enough to uncheck it.

Try using MSCONFIG and see what you are loading at start-up, that is a good place to disable some of the junk without doing a lot of damage.

good luck with this,
Jim

DJofSD
01-20-2008, 04:37 PM
First, look to see if the swap file is fragmented. Perfect disk and sysinternals pagedefrag will do a deframentation. This is a boot time defragmentation.

When you experience a system that has slowed down, try launching Windows Task Manager and look at the various columns on the Processes tab. This might give you some insight about who's the hog.

Also, while looking at the processes using Task Manager, make sure you don't have a virus scan running. Those can really slow you down.

I've used CCleaner since learning about it from Tom on this forum. I've found it does a good job. A good approach is to dip you toe into the water by only using one function at a time.

Murph
01-21-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,16180-order,1-page,1-c,systemresourcestuneup/download.html#

This is a link to Easy Cleaner 2.0 - free version.

The ToniArts website has a new version just recently available.

I didn't see a link to ver 2.0 there, though.

This regristry cleaner has an undo feature and is very easy (IMO) to use.

Murph

kitts
01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
I use TuneUp Utilities 2008 and Crap Cleaner. Registry cleaning does not seem to really do much to improve things IMHO

bigmack
01-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Registry cleaning does not seem to really do much to improve things IMHO
True, and for those that don't know what they're doing it can create a system that becomes a bit, kittywhompus.

banacek
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. It is appreciated.

Gibbon
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I have all the usual virus, spam and spyware things on it. Possibly you may have much bloatware (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/bloatware.htm) on your system.

...pages disappear slowly like I was still on dial... You will realize enormous differences if you configure your RWIN and MTU values for connection type. Both Iolo System Mechanic or TuneUp Utilities 2008 will do just fine. Can do it yourself for free if you know where to look in windows registry. MS knowledge base (http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?mode=a&query=mtu&catalog=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1&spid=1173).