PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sorry! No oddsline Today

john messina
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

I will not post an oddsline today. My IBM 360 had a meltdown. The tape drive crashed. And with only 15k of RAM, it's nearly impossible to run my oddsline program. My backup Tandy TRS 80, which I use as communication devise (Yeah I use a external Telephone Coupler Modem) doesn't have a Fortran Compiler, only a Basic Line Interpreter.

It's my fault. I should have dumped the IBM 360 years ago, and upgraded to an IBM 1130. Well, I guess I'll need to do it now. I'm tired of repairing the IBM 360.

I did hold out hope. I fired up my Altair 8080 Computer. But after 2 hours of feeding binary data directly into the memory, I became tired of toggling switches to feed the 8080 opcode, then hit a switch to enter the code into the machine's memory. You can imagine how lengthy this process can be.

Have faith... I'll sort out my computer problems in the next few days. And I'll be up and running again.

Shaking my head. What was I thinking. Working with a computer with only 15k of RAM. I need a proper upgrade to at least 30k of RAM. And maybe machine code is not the way to go. ENOUGH OF MY COMPUTER PROBLEMS.

I'll make every effort to post again on Sat.

Regards,

njcurveball
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
My IBM 360 had a meltdown. The tape drive crashed. And with only 15k of RAM, it's nearly impossible to run my oddsline program. ,

Are you serious? You have made millions (at least by reading your claims it seems that much) and you have not spent a dime on a computer in the past 20 years?

Very strange! VERY STRANGE!

vanilla
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I`m sorry to hear that you have computer problems.

Thank you for letting us know.

vanilla

Light
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I need a proper upgrade to at least 30k of RAM.

:lol:

Dude,that is not a "proper" upgrade.

GaryG
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Are you serious? You have made millions (at least by reading your claims it seems that much) and you have not spent a dime on a computer in the past 20 years?

Very strange! VERY STRANGE!That is the one that replaced the 7094 in the mid 60s. A huge mainframe. They were long gone when the first PCs arrived in the 70s.

ryesteve
01-18-2008, 12:56 PM
You guys really shouldn't be taking that message literally... what he really means is that the balls fell off his abacus...

john messina
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
You guys really shouldn't be taking that message literally... what he really means is that the balls fell off his abacus...

I'm back in action. I found my old trustworthy sliderule. Therefore my oddsline not only consists of one factor, it is also a a pencil and paper system.

I thank all who responded with concern.

ryesteve, do you think an abacus will help. I've never used one.

And as to winning millions, I never said I did . But since you've broached the subjected. Let me correct you. It's not millions, but tens of millions.

Regards,

njcurveball
01-18-2008, 10:34 PM
And as to winning millions, I never said I did . But since you've broached the subjected. Let me correct you. It's not millions, but tens of millions.

:lol: :D Ladies and Gentlemen he will be here all week, try the Veal and remember to tip your Waitress! :ThmbUp:

Cheap Speed
01-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I'll take another TPX please:)

whiteathame
01-19-2008, 08:48 AM
John, There aren't many who can fault your capping and odds-making but you need serious help in choosing a computer system and software that will do what you want to do.

I recommend buying a few hours of consultation from a a major university's computer sciences department.

whiteathame
01-19-2008, 09:21 AM
John, There aren't many who can fault your capping and odds-making but you need serious help in choosing a computer system and software that will do what you want to do.

I recommend buying a few hours of consultation from a a major university's computer sciences department.

Fortran is still very much around (IBM is working on a 2008 upgrade from the 2003 version) for scientific and computational use. The trick will be to find you a reasonable platform ...perhaps one of the 360's descendants.

douglasw32
01-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I hope I am not the only one who gets the joke, if so however let me say I have a working timex sinclair 1000 if you want to borrow it until your up and running.

john messina
01-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I hope I am not the only one who gets the joke, if so however let me say I have a working timex sinclair 1000 if you want to borrow it until your up and running.

Thanks for the offer, but the single little 1k of RAM may prove to be a problem even for me. Now, if your have the add-on module increasing the useable RAM to 16k, I'd more than happy to accept your offer.

Regards,

john messina
01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm back in action. I found my old trustworthy sliderule. Therefore my oddsline not only consists of one factor, it is also a a pencil and paper system

Regards,

I've plaster a wall in my study with a large sketch pad and I ready to do an oddline by hand (with the aid of my sliderule). This is a monumental task. I have to invert a 60 by 60 matrix by hand. Due to time constraints (this should take a few hours), I can possibly complete one track today. So, let me know which track it should be. Hurry time is a factor.

Regards,

spicytomato
01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
turfway park if you please

gives time for you to work

thank you very much for this effort

it is greatly appreciated

hope you get your other source for it back together

spice
;)

john messina
01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
turfway park if you please

gives time for you to work

thank you very much for this effort

it is greatly appreciated

hope you get your other source for it back together

spice
;)

Ok Turfway Park it is. I'll also do Gulfstream (if time permits or I don't burn out. I guess this is what they mean by paralell processing.

vanilla
01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
May I request Aqueduct for tomorrow, please?

....lots of notice, I hope :-)

Thank you

njcurveball
01-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I have to invert a 60 by 60 matrix by hand.

So much for the "one factor" part. :lol:

fight
01-19-2008, 12:54 PM
john sa please :ThmbUp:

john messina
01-19-2008, 01:05 PM
So much for the "one factor" part. :lol:

Have you ever heard of non linearity and there are more entries in a race than one and I do have multiple odds to consider(w, p, s, wp, wps, dark horse determination) and when to break for lunch and dinner too!

You are so niave. Here's a test for you. Consider one finger...now how many different ways can you insert that finger into a body cavity. I suggest you solve the problem by experimentation.

Now to actual business. It's done. I amazed myself on how quickly I accomplished this task. GSP and TP is up for your use.

http://optimusracingnetwork.netfirms.com (http://optimusracingnetwork.netfirms.com/)
Good Luck

njcurveball
01-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Hav

You are so niave. Here's a test for you. Consider one finger...now how many different ways can you insert that finger into a body cavity. I suggest you solve the problem by experimentation.

If you are going to talk about the things you do with your boyfriend, I think you better put this into the "off topic" part.

Your BS about the odds line is getting pretty old. You seem like a good handicapper who is trying to make themselves out to look like GOD!

But now that I know where you are coming from, I can understand how you would like to have a gay old time here! :lol:

Jim
aka the Bullshit sniffer

njcurveball
01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Here is a typical BS line from you. You make the 5 horse 2-5, he goes off at 5-2 and runs out of the money.

Accuracy isn't your strong suit my friend, but I can definitely see where you are talented with one finger ( I mean factor) :lol:

Aqueduct 01-17 Race #6 (5.5f Inner Dirt Mdn Claimer)

PN W PN W-P PN W-P-S PN W PN P PN S
-- - -- --- -- ----- -- - -- - -- -
5 0.4 5 0.0 5 0.0 5 0.4 9 0.7 1 1.1

Ron
01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Did the two of you just break up or something? :lol:

njcurveball
01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't know where you live, but if someone says this where I live, they are promptly looking up a good Dentist!

But hey Ron, why don't you try his "test"! I am sure you would enjoy it! :ThmbUp:

Consider one finger...now how many different ways can you insert that finger into a body cavity. I suggest you solve the problem by experimentation.

shanta
01-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't know where you live, but if someone says this where I live, they are promptly looking up a good Dentist!

Consider one finger...now how many different ways can you insert that finger into a body cavity. I suggest you solve the problem by experimentation.

Agree 100% Jim.
That was a bullshit move by "Messina" man. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

"Nj" didn't deserve that remark at all.

spicytomato
01-19-2008, 04:13 PM
thanks for doin these the hard way

the thought and work behind the offer
is really appreciated on this end............:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Red Knave
01-20-2008, 12:23 PM
This is one of the weirdest threads I've read in a long time.

(I liked it :kiss: )

WeirdWilly
01-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Does it have Windows Vista installed? Or at least XP Pro?

That way, you can calculate oddslines while rendering some raytrace CGI animations!