PDA

View Full Version : Word freezing up issue

andicap
01-18-2008, 06:19 AM
My Word 2007 will freeze up but only under one specific circumstance.
Only when I do a "find and replace" on text documents that i "PRINT TO FILE" from HTR (I do that to get the paragraph spaces out before I print.)

"Find and replace" is fine on everything else.
There is only one Word template -- didn't create a special one for the HTR text files.

it does not happen on other "text" files, just the ones that I get from my HTR software.

anyone have a clue as to what it might be?

robert99
01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
andicap,

Don't use MS stuff but I would look at what text coding W07 and HTR use eg ANSI, ASCII, Unicode. ANSI for example uses different escape sequences which might explain why you don't get paragraph spacing normally.

wilderness
01-18-2008, 08:17 PM
He's grown accustomed to MANY Search and Replace options in Word.

I'm not aware of a text editor that includes such diverse options.

JustRalph
01-18-2008, 11:05 PM
My Word 2007 will freeze up but only under one specific circumstance.
Only when I do a "find and replace" on text documents that i "PRINT TO FILE" from HTR (I do that to get the paragraph spaces out before I print.)

"Find and replace" is fine on everything else.
There is only one Word template -- didn't create a special one for the HTR text files.

it does not happen on other "text" files, just the ones that I get from my HTR software.

anyone have a clue as to what it might be?

andi, mine does the same thing on an irregular basis when I cut and paste a doc from Jcapper's HTML report. I find that if I save the doc and close it, then reopen it,.........before doing the find operation, it goes away. I am performing the same operation. A find and replace etc.

I also have closed all other running programs (most notably Jcapper) running in the background before doing the find and replace, and it remedies the problem too.....but it works less often.............this is a bug that I haven't been able to solve yet........try closing everything in the background before or saving and closing the doc you are working on and re-opening and see what happens.............

Snag
01-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I've been told that when a file is linked to another, the problem will occur because Word (an Excel) has a problem with the cut & paste function on linked files. Once you save the file, you "break" the link and then can proceed.

I found this happens alot with MS Excel linked and grouped files too.

andicap
01-19-2008, 01:16 PM
thanks i'll try those solutions....just started happening a few weeks ago tho..never before ...

njcurveball
01-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

If you do, maybe this is germane to your error?

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a5a03da499&p=1 (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.application. errors&tid=7d3bb66a-0cee-4423-a9de-5aa5a03da499&p=1)

Jim

andicap
01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks -- one question -- what's a conditional hyphen?

bigmack
01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks -- one question -- what's a conditional hyphen?
An invisible format character that merely indicates a preferred intra-word line-break position. If the line is broken at that point, then whatever mechanism is appropriate for intra-word line-breaks should be invoked, just as if the line break had been triggered by another mechanism, such as a dictionary lookup. Depending on the language and the word, that may produce different visible results, such as:

* simply inserting a hyphen glyph
* inserting a hyphen glyph and changing spelling in the divided word parts
* not showing any visible change and simply breaking at that point
* inserting a hyphen glyph at the beginning of the new line

It's definately the cause of your freezing. For those in your sneakers, many have found relief in using:
http://www.openoffice.org/ for the sole purpose of what you're trying to do.

andicap
01-21-2008, 05:31 AM
OK,
1. I do have SP 1
2. I have no idea what you just wrote -- and I actually know a little bit about computers. Is there any solution that you know of? The link above describes the problem but no fix.
3. I would use openoffice but i'm trying to keep my laptop lean and mean on the software side.

njcurveball
01-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Try getting all the latest updates and hope that Microsoft has fixed it.

OR

reinstall Office without SP1.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx