PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging the Anita surface

46zilzal
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Changes to be made.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3198151

robert99
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
A whole weekend of tests, how reassuring ?
The real story comes further down the report when they admit to needing to use a binder to coat the fine - silty sand. Yes, that's is what was supposed to have happened in the first place.

"The decision was made following lab experiments over the weekend conducted by the school of civil engineering at the University of Southern California.

"The tests show that we've found a way to reformulate the existing Cushion Track surface," Charles said. "With the addition of polymers and fiber, the surface becomes kinder, more consistent, and it cushions the impact of the track on the horses. It functions properly in diverse weather conditions and reduces the amount of kickback." - you mean actual cushiontrack ?

Norm
01-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I like the part where it says they can't restore the dirt track because :

"We've conducted an extensive search nationwide to find 20,000 tons of high-quality material within the time frame we have to work with, and have been unsuccessful,"

Geeze, in the whole U.S.A., they can't find enough dirt to make a racetrack. Now, I don't have a lot of sympathy for management out there but, I think we owe it to the history of the sport to save Santa Anita. I think we should all fill up a bucket with our best dirt and form a million-man-march and give them the dirt they need to save this famous old racetrack. Whatcha think ?? :rolleyes:

DJofSD
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I wonder if they had Adam and Jamie there too.

Dan Montilion
01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I like the part where it says they can't restore the dirt track because :

"We've conducted an extensive search nationwide to find 20,000 tons of high-quality material within the time frame we have to work with, and have been unsuccessful,"

Geeze, in the whole U.S.A., they can't find enough dirt to make a racetrack. There is a mile worth of dirt up in San Mateo. Reportedly it won't be needed after 2008, Allegedly