PDA

View Full Version : Ny Times Anti-Military Bias.......Caught fudging it again

JustRalph
01-15-2008, 02:23 AM
http://www.moveamericaforward.org/index.php/MAF/MAFNews

EXCLUSIVE:

New York Times ‘Killer Vet’ Story
Exposed as Erroneous by Pro-Troop Group

SACRAMENTO- Move America Forward (website: www.MoveAmericaForward.org (http://www.moveamericaforward.org/)), the nation’s largest grassroots pro-troop organization, today announced that after vetting the numbers cited by The New York Times in their Sunday, January 13, 2008 story, “Across America, Deadly Echoes of Foreign Battles,” it became clear that the Times had engaged in demonstrably erroneous and false reporting.

It took seven New York Times researchers to find 121 cases in which veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan committed a killing in the United States, or were charged with one, upon returning home to this country.

The Times made the false conclusion that: “Taken together, they paint the patchwork of a quiet phenomenon, tracing a cross-country trail of death and heartbreak.”

The Times documentation of 121 potential killings out of more than 1.5 million veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) and Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan), divided by 6 years of conflict results in a murder rate of just 1.34 incidents per 100,000 veterans per year.***

That murder rate is far lower than the murder rate for the general population, demonstrating that the experiences of military service – including having served in Iraq and Afghanistan – actually made it less likely for returning veterans to commit murder once they returned home, than the general population.

~much more at the link~

kenwoodallpromos
01-15-2008, 03:06 AM
“It’s obvious that the New York Times has an agenda of undermining the (missions) PERSONAL LIVES of our troops in the War on Terror,

ljb
01-15-2008, 09:47 AM
I read the biased response from the pro-war blog. I did not see any "fudging". Please clarify. Also check out my link in Bush thread concerning a follow up story in NY Times.

lsbets
01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I read the biased response from the pro-war blog. I did not see any "fudging". Please clarify. Also check out my link in Bush thread concerning a follow up story in NY Times.

The tone of the article starts by making it sound like an epidemic of murders committed by returning veterans. In reality, the occurence of murders involving that segment of the population is lower than the population as a whole. The stories in the article are certainly tragic, and without a doubt more could have been done to help the veterans involved, however the story is not playing out in the headlines of local papers daily across the country as the article asserts. Of course, whn an agenda is involved, the perception is much more important than the truth, and the NY Times had no problem creating the image of the crazy vet to advance their view. And ljb, we all know you have not had any problems in the past wishing ill will on our soldiers if it benefitted your agenda, so it doesn't surprise me at all you are in love with this story.

kenwoodallpromos
01-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Fudging depending on your mindset:
"121 cases in which veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan committed a killing in the United States, ****or were charged**** with one,"
The caption by the USA map your other post link goes to left out the "or charged". But that is OK; nowadays everybody is brainwashed into assuming everyone will be convicted of everything.

JustRalph
01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I think you got your answer. Undermining the perception of these men who put their lives on the line for our country is the ultimate disgrace.

ddog
01-15-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.moveamericaforward.org/index.php/MAF/MAFNews

EXCLUSIVE:

New York Times ‘Killer Vet’ Story
Exposed as Erroneous by Pro-Troop Group

SACRAMENTO- Move America Forward (website: www.MoveAmericaForward.org (http://www.moveamericaforward.org/)), the nation’s largest grassroots pro-troop organization, today announced that after vetting the numbers cited by The New York Times in their Sunday, January 13, 2008 story, “Across America, Deadly Echoes of Foreign Battles,” it became clear that the Times had engaged in demonstrably erroneous and false reporting.

It took seven New York Times researchers to find 121 cases in which veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan committed a killing in the United States, or were charged with one, upon returning home to this country.

The Times made the false conclusion that: “Taken together, they paint the patchwork of a quiet phenomenon, tracing a cross-country trail of death and heartbreak.”

The Times documentation of 121 potential killings out of more than 1.5 million veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) and Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan), divided by 6 years of conflict results in a murder rate of just 1.34 incidents per 100,000 veterans per year.***

That murder rate is far lower than the murder rate for the general population, demonstrating that the experiences of military service – including having served in Iraq and Afghanistan – actually made it less likely for returning veterans to commit murder once they returned home, than the general population.

~much more at the link~

couple of obvious questions:

when did the war actually start?
Which of the 121 were Iraqi v. Afg vets?
Where were they posted and what were the actual scope of their duties?
A charge of murder is not made lightly.

how can they take 6 years as the "time of the war"?
I don't know anyone that was sent over and then came back on the day the "war" started?

Also, even if the papers attempt is to smear the soldiers ,( I don't buy it,maybe the war itself) since the vast majority of people are NOT of that opinion in regards to the soldiers, could it not be a good story to focus more dollars and programs and outreach toward the vets coming back?

Some of them darn sure need and deserve it.