PDA

View Full Version : Steward incompetence - FG

RXB
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Take a look at the replay of Race 10 at FG yesterday; wait for the head-on. Nearing the wire, the #8 (5/2) comes over and bumps the #2 (70/1) as the latter is passing the former. Having lost his bearings a little, the #2 now comes over and bumps the #8-- no worse than the initial contact, I might add.

The FG stewards, showing their usual standards of intellectual capacity and understanding of the rules of racing, DQ the 70/1 even though it was minding its business and running straight until the other horse came over and fouled it. Can you imagine if you'd bet the #2, or had it in a P4?

onefast99
01-14-2008, 11:56 AM
I didnt see the head-on or rear-shot which are the ones most likely used to take this one down, they were tight and the regular camera view is tough to use when making a decision to take a horse down. Lots of bumping and it seems that horses who win by less then a length who are brushed or bumping tend to get a look by the stewards.

RXB
01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, in this case it's the head-on that tells the tale, and the tale is that the horse that got put up was the one that initiated the trouble in the first place.

GaryG
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, in this case it's the head-on that tells the tale, and the tale is that the horse that got put up was the one that initiated the trouble in the first place.I agree....I bet the #8 and thought there was no chance. Nice ride by Brown, he deserved the win.

andicap
01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Well,

first it's a Louisiana track -- and well, we pretty much understand anything goes in that great state.

Second, a 5-2 horse vs. a 70-1 shot? You don't think there's more than a little pressure on the stewards to put up a low-priced horse and satisfy the paying customers?

Or maybe the trainer/owner on the 70-1 shot pissed off the stewards last week.
Etc.
Life is political. You gotta live with it that reality.
As Gary noted, it went in HIS favor this time -- next time it may not.
It pretty much evens out in the long run -- tho the long run might be pretty darned long!

skate
01-14-2008, 05:29 PM
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh !

i'd be furious.
\

and now we find out that Gary had the 8, so you know the stu's were wrong.:eek:

borntoride
01-14-2008, 10:49 PM
So it's a Louisiana track and that means it's crooked??? I guess horseracing is always fair and square in the UK.........????

Let's leave out those kind of generalizations, please.

RainMan
01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I grew up in Louisiana. Remember this is where Sylvester hid in the fog, assistant starters hold the reins and jocks use buzzers at the FG for a going rate of $100. Also, ordinary claimers can become multiple stakes winners with moves to certain barns. As for stewards, I once got DQ'd from a nice super six at LAD when my horse who won by 15 was taken down for a minor brush to a dead horse down the stretch.
I agree that the DQ's are some of the baddest beats that a player has to stomach. Unless, it is the rare case of a stretch leader jumping the fence and ending up in the infield lake!

whyhorseofcourse
01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I just watched the replay and I will say I am suprised the horse was taken down. I watched the head on replay and while the 2 horse did infact hit the 8. The 8 was all over the 2 the whole stretch.