PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't a Stallion Also Race?

whiteathame
01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I understand that horses are often retired while still in good health and spirits. Why can't a healthy stallion cover mares while also continuing to train and run?

I don't want to hear it can't be done because no horse has ever done it.

(Damned few of you guys quit work to service your filly/fillies.)

ralph_the_cat
01-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Id rather be doing a filly than running around the track... :cool:

All joking aside... it takes alot of time and energy for a stallion to be a productive stallion... not to mention all the drugs these horses are on... and the risk... mares kick!!!... and they kick hard when they're pissed... alot of stuff adds up... Ive heard of private owners/breeders breeding a stallion and running.... but it was only for their "one" mare... why do both when theres so much at risk... its hard enough preparing a horse for one race... then you want to squeeze in a quicky here and there?... only humans can pull that off...

Shenanigans
01-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Thoroughbreds are bred live cover - meaning no artificial insemination. Breeding starts in Feb and runs through June so the stallion would be out of racing for a good 5-6 months meanwhile getting fat and slow.:) After breeding season it takes a stallion a good month to "recoup" from the hectic schedule. By that time it wouldn't be worth the effort to get him in racing shape to run a couple months out of the year not to mention to get his mind back in the game - which I would believe that is the number one reason stallions aren't raced - their minds are no longer into racing.;)

ralph_the_cat
01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
also... who wants too take their penis ring off and on every day... :eek:

Shenanigans
01-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Not all colts race with stallion rings, in fact that practice isn't as common as it use to be.

ralph_the_cat
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Not all colts race with stallion rings, in fact that practice isn't as common as it use to be.

alot still do...

JustRalph
01-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I think this has been done. I saw a show on HRTV a few weeks back where they mentioned a horse that was covering some mares while still in training and after he won they brought him back to full time training

whiteathame
01-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks. I understand that "alternating jobs" is basically impractical rather than impossible. Nuff said.

BIG49010
01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Standard Breds do it!

Don't they say that breeding for humans is like running the 100 yard dash, so maybe for horses it's like 3 furlongs.

But seriously I think for insurance purposes, a good stud would never be able to do both. Bad ones maybe they should put them back in training.

Greyfox
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
In 2006 Storm Cat was earning $ 500,000 per cover.
He covered a number of mares over a number of months.
Why would they risk racing him?

Say he covered only 80 Mares - that's $ 40 million dollars a year.
What idiot would race him?
http://www.horsehats.com/StormCat.html

Greyfox
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Of course he was 23 in 2006. :lol: :lol:

ralph_the_cat
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
In 2006 Storm Cat was earning $ 500,000 per cover.
He covered a number of mares over a number of months.
Why would they risk racing him?

Say he covered only 80 Mares - that's $ 40 million dollars a year.
What idiot would race him?
http://www.horsehats.com/StormCat.html

not the best of examples... Im sure Whiteathame wasnt talking about the top studs in the US... hes not that stupid... theres plenty of moderate stallions that only have a $5,000 or less stud fee...

Greyfox
01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Absolutely, the best example.

A stud at only $5,000 a cover doing 50 mares a year = $ 250,000.
You'd better go back to covering cats. :lol:

ralph_the_cat
01-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Absolutely, the best example.

A stud at only $5,000 a cover doing 50 mares a year = $ 250,000.
You'd better go back to covering cats. :lol:

and u fox..?... what are we children?... other example is much more practical... do you really think Whiteathame thinks we should run storm cat and breed him at the same time?... :lol:

46zilzal
01-13-2008, 11:29 PM
MOST stallions would not train, I am told, once "greener pastures" awaited them.

DJofSD
01-14-2008, 12:14 AM
From my admittedly limited experience, handling a stallion is one thing. Handling a stallion that has bred mares is another thing altogether.

I would think it would be an exceptional stallion that is tractable enough to breed and race, and to be able to do so without the studish behavior that makes his behavior predictable and even dangerous.

Robert Goren
01-14-2008, 09:43 AM
The real reason is that is that the stud's owners are scared that the horse might do as well as he did before "retiring' and lessen the demand for his services. Get out while he is at top of his game and stay out. That is the owner's motto.

DJofSD
01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Get out while he is at top of his game and stay out.

Is that like the pirate's credo (a la Capt. Jack Sparrow): take all that you can and give nothing back? :)

kenwoodallpromos
01-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Historically, which stallions won big races during or after duty?

russowen77
01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
It would take a heck of a horse. Once they start breeding their priorities sure change rapidly. Trying to train a horse whose mind is consistently else where is a difficult task like it would be for us even.

If one got paid the same to handicap races as he would to make love to beautiful women, would one really want to handicap for long. :)

I used to do stallion duty when I was a lad. We had one Tennessee Walker that was a nice horse and very gentle but he loved to see me with the gear we used in hand. Perked right up. One day I was getting him ready to head to the shed when my cousin was playing with me and pushed me a little bit. Dang ol Boy took a plug out of him. He didn't like delays I guess. :)

Nacumi
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
As we say about boys and sex, if you're not thinking about every second of the day, your mind's wandering. :D Such is the case for stallions who've bred. It's challenging even to train colts that haven't been bred yet, once the 'rone starts circulating freely. It's also extremely difficult once those breeding muscles have developed on a horse, because usually, they're in direct opposition to the ones that make for good racing. Thick, heavy, bulky horses with big backs, necks and stones don't run that fast...unless there's a filly in front of them, of course. :lol:
Gelding a horse when it's young enough prevents nature from putting on the bulk, and keeps young minds on the game.

jma
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
The real reason is that is that the stud's owners are scared that the horse might do as well as he did before "retiring' and lessen the demand for his services. Get out while he is at top of his game and stay out. That is the owner's motto.

How would winning MORE races lessen the demand?

OTM Al
01-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Way I had it explained is that while a stallion is in training, they can usually keep him occupied and focused and in control. That's why they don't generally try to kick the crap out of other males and all the people around them while they are racing, Tabasco Cat types aside. Once they are breeding, they go out of shape pretty quick and that training routine goes away and they set into their habits of male herd animal dominance. Stallions can be pretty nasty, especially to other stallions. I would bet no other male has come within 100 feet of Storm Cat in years. They will fight and kill each other if allowed to when they are in breeding mode.

russowen77
01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Way I had it explained is that while a stallion is in training, they can usually keep him occupied and focused and in control. That's why they don't generally try to kick the crap out of other males and all the people around them while they are racing, Tabasco Cat types aside. Once they are breeding, they go out of shape pretty quick and that training routine goes away and they set into their habits of male herd animal dominance. Stallions can be pretty nasty, especially to other stallions. I would bet no other male has come within 100 feet of Storm Cat in years. They will fight and kill each other if allowed to when they are in breeding mode.
They can kill you too if you don't watch them. You want to make sure the teaser if way clear before the big boy arrives or there might be beaucoup trouble in the old shed.

rdavislake
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Steroids, anyone?

russowen77
01-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Take a good look at a breeding stallion. They don't need no steroids.;)

rdavislake
01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm speaking of horses in training.......