PDA

View Full Version : Ever Happen To You?

Teach
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
"I got it! I got It!" I blurted out. "I've bailed," I said to my friend "Bucko."
We were at NH's Rockingham Park second floor "Sports Bar."

We had come there that August afternoon to play "The Spa" and several other tracks. I was having a terrible day. What made it even more frustrating was the fact that I was just missing. I'd hit one part of the exacta but miss the other, or I'd leave out or cross off a horse that I needed to complete the trifecta.

Well, I remember we had come to the 8th race at 'toga. It was a mile-and-an eighth stakes race that was run on the turf. I recall that I was down about $150. I had only enough for money left to bet a handful of exactas.

In the minutes before the start of the race, "Bucko" and I pored over the form. I remember saying, "Bucko, I can make a case for this 9-horse (a 30-1 longshot). "You're grasping at straws," "Bucko" replied. "This horse has as much a chance of winning as I do of ever becoming a jockey ("Bucko" weighed about 200 pounds). Yet, I replied, "Yeh, I know he doesn't look like much, but I think the trainer's been pointing him toward this race. He's got some nice works," I continued. "Besides, he's out of one of the best turf sires there ever were: Lyphard."

Seconds later, I was ready to head up to the window with my last $20 bill. I recall "Bucko" saying, "Goin up to the windows (Like where was I going -- to an art museum!)." "Yeh," I said. "Bucko then added, "Would you make some bets for me?" "Sure," I said.

Moments later, I had reached the windows. The horses were about to load so I quickly called out "Bucko's" bets and then, mine. I recall calling out "Bucko's" bets first; they were mostly trifectas that keyed the favorite #4 horse first and second. Then, I called out my $2 exacta boxes, "Two dollar exacta boxes: 9-2, 9-4, 9-6, 9-7 and 9-8," I said. I then handed the teller the money and hurried back to where "Bucko" and I were sitting. I gave "Bucko" his tickets and stuffed mine in my pocket.

Just then, the race was off. As expected, the #4 horse had grabbed the early lead. I recall the fractions were reasonable. I believe he went to the half in 47.4. As I look at the field, my #9 horse is lagging far behind. It's almost as if he were about to lose touch with the field.

Well, the #4 horse is leading as they reach the far turn, but you see that he was starting to labor, Suddenly, like he was shot out of a cannon, the #7 horse cuts the corner and bolts to the lead. He had just made the winning move. He began to draw away by three, now four open lengths. But who was going to be second?

As the horses reach the wire, #7 easily crosses ahead of everyone else, but who's gonna finish second? With all eyes glued to the overheard screen, and for what seemed like an eternity, everyone in the "Sports Bar" anxiously waited to see who that second horse would be. Who would complete the exacta? What horses would complete the tri?

Just then, two or three blurrs crossed the finish line. I recall saying to "Bucko," "Was that a greyish-colored saddle cloth?" "I think so," he said. "I know that two horses crossed the wire at exactly the same time," he added.

Well, I'm now glued to the screen like I'm gliming "Cupcakes Cassidy" at the Burlesque Review at the Old Howard Theater in Boston's Scollay Square. Seconds later, they replay the stretch run. Yes, clearly the #7 horse has won (I had used him in one of my exacta boxes with the #9). Now, they slow it up as the horses reach the wire. I see two horses barelling down the stretch, one is the pinkish-colored #8 saddle cloth, the other, the greyish saddle cloth of the #9. It's hard to separate the two. It's a head bob.

Then, after about a minute or two, they post the numbers on the tote. The number-9 horse, my horse has been posted second. I'm ecstatic. "I've got it! I've got it!" I blurt out. In the photo, it showed my horse had prevailed by the tiniest of margins; certainly no more, in reality, than an inch or two. I then began to reach into my pocket for my tix. I remember "Bucko" saying, "I know who's buying a couple beers." I was happy to do so. The #7 horse had gone off at 6-1. He along with my 30-1 #9-horse have got to becoming back "big time."

Well, I take out my tickets. I look at them. My joy, in an instant, has turned to dismay. I don't have the winner. No money! No beers. No nuthin!

What had happened was the clerk had misheard or mis-punched the tickets. Instead of $2 exacta boxes, he gave me straight $2 exactas: 9-2, 9-4, 9-6, 9-7 and 9-8. At first I was dejected, but then I was furious. When there was a lull, I confronted the clerk. He said, "I call out what I hear."
(I was sure I had called boxes). I was about to make a snide remark, but then thought the better of it and just walked away.

It was another one of those ecstasy-turned-to-agony moments at the racetrack. It wasn't the first, and I'm sure --- it won't be the last.

phatbastard
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
did u at least get your 10bucks back?

DrunkenHorseplayer
01-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Hard to believe that you didn't check your tickets, as well as noticing that they cost $10 less than anticipated.

jognlope
01-13-2008, 01:07 PM
So go out and pick a winning horse(s) and teller without attention deficit. Tomorrow's another day!!

thespaah
01-13-2008, 10:26 PM
My rules..Rule number one..always use a SAM ..No tellers. Rule number two, never wait till the last damned nano second to make bets.rule number three always check tix before leaving window..Violating rule two prevents adhering to rule three.

Zman179
01-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Hard to believe that you didn't check your tickets, as well as noticing that they cost $10 less than anticipated.

Exactly. If I'm calling out $20 in bets with a $20 bill in my hand, and I get back change, then the head alarm gets set off.

(in the voice of the soup nazi) NO SYMPATHY FOR YOU.

ldiatone
01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
a few years ago played a excta at mnr with the teller. the horses cross the line and i think i have it cold. 20-1 and 9-1 or so. go to cash in and i either called the wrong race # or she punch the ticket for 2 races ahead. the other race didn't hit

Teach
01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I admit it was partially my fault. What I didn't mention was that I had had one too many brews when I went to the windows. Yes, I should have checked my tickets. Also, I had co-mingled my $20 bill with the money that my friend "Bucko" had given me for his bets. I was just not keeping track. Yes, I'm sure I called out the right bets. I just didn't do: due dilligence. You could call it contributory negligence.

shanta
01-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I admit it was partially my fault. What I didn't mention was that I had had one too many brews when I went to the windows.

Partially?????

njcurveball
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
What I didn't mention was that I had had one too many brews when I went to the windows. .

I don't think you are making your case for "calling out the right bets" with this lil tidbit. :lol:

1st time lasix
01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
I play at a busy simulcast venue. I prefer to go there with a couple of local knowledgable friends who share my handicapping passion then play from home. Learned years ago that a "shut out" of any kind is my fault. I always grin and bear it even if the guy in front of me in line takes his sweet time handicapping at the window or the litlle old lady doesn't have her money ready. No excuse for me. I also try to be very clear on my call outs....the accuracy of the tickets is my sole responsibility. I will use a SAM if they are busy. If you are tipsy....trying to get in a last second play or just throwing money at the race for some "action" ...you generally get what you deserve. Only thing that frustrates me at the parlor are idiots screaming during the race for an injury because the horse isn't part of their wagers and obnoxious, self centered, degenerate losers who think we all really care about their loud rants. {"race is fixed" "Break a leg" "Jockey X is a pinhead" "I told you to play so and so" etc etc} For some reason some people think it is ok to act they are the only ones in the room or have the only opinion that matters.

thespaah
01-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I play at a busy simulcast venue. I prefer to go there with a couple of local knowledgable friends who share my handicapping passion then play from home. Learned years ago that a "shut out" of any kind is my fault. I always grin and bear it even if the guy in front of me in line takes his sweet time handicapping at the window or the litlle old lady doesn't have her money ready. No excuse for me. I also try to be very clear on my call outs....the accuracy of the tickets is my sole responsibility. I will use a SAM if they are busy. If you are tipsy....trying to get in a last second play or just throwing money at the race for some "action" ...you generally get what you deserve. Only thing that frustrates me at the parlor are idiots screaming during the race for an injury because the horse isn't part of their wagers and obnoxious, self centered, degenerate losers who think we all really care about their loud rants. {"race is fixed" "Break a leg" "Jockey X is a pinhead" "I told you to play so and so" etc etc} For some reason some people think it is ok to act they are the only ones in the room or have the only opinion that matters.
Ah yes. the teller lines. You described all the types of things, people, etc that steer me away from tellers. I use SAM's almost exclusively. I don't wait until the last minute to make my wagers and always check my tix.