PDA

View Full Version : bandaid to a bigger problem

46zilzal
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Breakdowns have a lot to do with the selective breeding of lighter and quicker horses. Their heavier bones ancestors don't collapse under the pounding of 1100 pounds.

Force=mass x acceleration. If the undercarriage can't take it, collapse occurs.

These artificial tracks are a bandaid to a bigger concern the breeders don't want to address. They need to add some stamina to the equation in the breeding shed. Along with that comes heavier and more solid bones.

kenwoodallpromos
01-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Of course different breeding might lower the breakdown rate- at the expense of the winner's slower final time. 2 Cushion track records today at SA- I'll bet Stronach is glad he did not have the correct mix of cushion sent over as soon as the drain started clogging! In and effort to squeeze a nickel he ended up with sand TOO big! I blame that stuff on ownership. Now he may be allowed to go back to the regular dirt cushion that is not as springy.

Zman179
01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I have an idea that would reduce breakdowns and would put all the synthetic track makers out of business! It's called:

GET RID OF ALL THE F'N DRUGS.

I'll probably be dismissed as being ahead of my time.

kenwoodallpromos
01-13-2008, 01:13 AM
I have an idea that would reduce breakdowns and would put all the synthetic track makers out of business! It's called:

"Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella said that while horses today have the same types of leg injuries they have always had, he has noticed a huge increase in the number of breathing problems.

“We’ve bred that into them,” he said. “Racing did itself a disservice by allowing any medication."

Dan Montilion
01-13-2008, 02:03 AM
Equine Fosamax anybody?

Tom
01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I remember reading an article back when NYRA first started to allow lasix. I don't remember who, but it was a NY writer well know at the time (Russ Harris, John Pricci??? Ray Kerrison???) who thought allowing lasix and/or bute would dilute the breed by removing the disincentive to breed bad horses to bad horses ( the idea behind the NY State Bred Program! :lol:)

Tom
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Equine Fosamax anybody? That like Flomax?

shanta
01-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Bravo! :jump:

TEJAS KIDD
01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Breakdowns have a lot to do with the selective breeding of lighter and quicker horses. Their heavier bones ancestors don't collapse under the pounding of 1100 pounds.

Force=mass x acceleration. If the undercarriage can't take it, collapse occurs.

These artificial tracks are a bandaid to a bigger concern the breeders don't want to address. They need to add some stamina to the equation in the breeding shed. Along with that comes heavier and more solid bones.

In all my years of wagering on Off Breed Races (ARABS and MULES)-
I have never, ever, seen one snap a leg. Both breeds don't run nearly as fast as thoroughbreds, but it's because of their stockier thicker bodies. It's those body types that are able to withstand the racing and not snap off their brittle bones. SPEED KILLS

46zilzal
01-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I have never, ever, seen one snap a leg. Both breeds don't run nearly as fast as thoroughbreds, but it's because of their stockier thicker bodies. It's those body types that are able to withstand the racing and not snap off their brittle bones. SPEED KILLS
All season, since mid September, we have had TWO breakdowns at the harness track and that is with 11-12 race cards.

Greyfox
01-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I am not yet a fan of poly or cushion tracks.
It seems to me though if that is the future, then breeding practices will change to develop more stamina oriented runners.

kenwoodallpromos
01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Yet both off-breeds still run faster than 8' per 1/5 second!!LOL!!

northerndancer
01-13-2008, 02:48 PM
The North American breeders have been breeding for commercial purposes which means they breed for speed. The breeders try to breed speed pedigree with speed pedigree this was clearly evident with the dirt surfaces.

There maybe light at the end of the tunnel that with the synthetic surfaces that breeders will start to inlux turf related attributes into the commercial breeding of horses. If this is done you will get more out crosses of speed over stamina.... and less speed over speed. I believe this will have to come more from the sire since the current population of horses in NA do not contain a plethora of Fillies and Mares that can effectively run a route of ground.

If my therory is correct you will start to see the 2yo under tack shows for 2yo in training sales produce slower times. As the times in these sales slow down the effective rates of breakdowns and longer racing careers should result. I personally would love to see the abolishment of 2yo under tack shows as part of the 2yo in training sales but I know that is only a pipedream on my behalf.

Very few horses that produce at fast time at theses under tack shows go on to be quality older horses. When will the industry wake up and realize that there are fewer 4, 5 & 6 yo running now but overall there are more horses.