PDA

View Full Version : Article in Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred January 2008

onefast99
01-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I noticed that Kelly Breen has gone private as he will train "the Halls" horses only according to the article on page 88. I havent seen this before with any other owners in the northeast and I dont know if any other trainers have had successful careers with only one owner. I think that the pressure from one owner may be too much for a young trainer to handle even though Kelly is very good with 2 year olds. I hope he does well for himself, only time will tell!:ThmbUp:

ManeMediaMogul
01-13-2008, 12:21 PM
A private job is every trainer's dream. Training horses is a sure way to financial ruin unless you are in the top 10%. Even Hall of Fame trainers lose money on a regular basis. I'll take a salary and my 10% over being a public trainer any day.

onefast99
01-13-2008, 02:38 PM
A private job is every trainer's dream. Training horses is a sure way to financial ruin unless you are in the top 10%. Even Hall of Fame trainers lose money on a regular basis. I'll take a salary and my 10% over being a public trainer any day.
He won the 2005 training title without this fellas horses. As far as being every trainers dream can you name one that has won 2 back to back training titles and is now private?

ManeMediaMogul
01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
It's not about training titles. Unless you have done it, you have no idea how difficult it is to train horses at the top level. If you can hook up with a good owner that breeds or purchases top horses year after year, why would you want to check claiming horses' legs from race to race?

A lot of top trainers - Bobby Frankel (Juddmonte) and Shug McGaughey (Phipps) are really more like private trainers who have a few clients on the side. Tell me these guys don't have a great life.

onefast99
01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Neither one is priveta they have other clients just in case the big owners pull their horses. There is no plus side to going private look and see who is and they are probably county fair type trainers with 15-20 horses from one owner. If you dont win with one owner you are toaast in this business. Bad move on any trainers part going private.

lamboguy
01-14-2008, 10:42 AM
this man won the award with 5 different trainers. i once spoke with CARLOS FIGUAROA, he says in his 75 years it was the best deal he ever had training private for mike gill. as far as shug goes he only trains for the PHIPPs family or those related to the phipps by mariage, he wouldn't trade places with anyone else in the world.

as far as training tittles go, they mean absolutely nothing. scott lake wins the bulk of his races in Penn National and Charleytown with bottom or near bottom horses and lots of horses too! the way the racing game is today, i don't think it means to much when a guy takes a $25k horse and turns him into a 2 to the date horse at the bottom and wins the race. my grandaughter could do the same thing

onefast99
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
this man won the award with 5 different trainers. i once spoke with CARLOS FIGUAROA, he says in his 75 years it was the best deal he ever had training private for mike gill. as far as shug goes he only trains for the PHIPPs family or those related to the phipps by mariage, he wouldn't trade places with anyone else in the world.

as far as training tittles go, they mean absolutely nothing. scott lake wins the bulk of his races in Penn National and Charleytown with bottom or near bottom horses and lots of horses too! the way the racing game is today, i don't think it means to much when a guy takes a $25k horse and turns him into a 2 to the date horse at the bottom and wins the race. my grandaughter could do the same thing
Interesting.