PDA

View Full Version : HTR opinions

russowen77
01-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I have decided to give HTR a spin this year. I have never used software in handicapping before and I think this sounds like a good place to start.

Knowing me my problem will be when to quit buying programs but for right now I would love to get opinions on what would be the best way to get started as a new user. I apprecitate all responses..

BillW
01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Reading the monthly newsletters would be a great start. The forum is a good source also.

ddog
01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I have decided to give HTR a spin this year. I have never used software in handicapping before and I think this sounds like a good place to start.

Knowing me my problem will be when to quit buying programs but for right now I would love to get opinions on what would be the best way to get started as a new user. I apprecitate all responses..

Read all the HTR newsletters from the past couple of years first if you have not already.

Then signup with HDW to get the file download started.
Pull in the last 30-45 days worth of files for the tracks you wish to play.
You maybe able to get some or all of a period for free from KM, I don't know.

Sit down with the program and just page through the races and screens for a single track or circuit.
Just look at what's there, get a feel for what can help you, it varies by person.

Post questions on the HTR board, no matter what you ask someone will have a reply or tool to help you.

Tom
01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Russ,
There is a seperate website with all the tutorials in one place, too.
How do you handicap? Speed, pace, trainers, class......there is something for you there.

Post over there and you will get tons of help.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, or want to know where to look for something in particular.

TEJAS KIDD
01-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Russ,

This may be the most flattering response you get. I am a visual player. Everything I play, day to day, is based on what I see at the track, therefore, I do not use a computer program. With that being said, in my opinion, HTR is the best product you can get. I've been competing at handicapping tournaments for the passed 10 years. It seems that in every tournament, at least one HTR user is on the leaderboard (sometimes if I'm lucky, they're below me). Actually, I've backed off playing in multi-track tournaments because of their level of competition. I've concentrated more on single track live money bankroll tournaments where I can take away their edge.

John Buckley,won back to back tournaments at the Gold Coast in Vegas last July and Ken Massa (Htr's creator) finished 2nd in the NHC finals last January. There are MANY MANY MANY more success stories, I just don't have the time to write it.
Good Luck in your venture.

russowen77
01-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks all.

I will peruse the forums. I probably would not have done that thanks.

Tom-- I am primarily a pace handicapper and pedigree in some instances.

TK- thanks for the take. I do much better when I can see them. I am sure glad the live meet is about here.

GRASSHOPPER
01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks to DanG, and a few others, I also will be joining HTR in Feb..

Recently, I downloaded the HTR DEMO, and spent several days working back races. That gave me a chance to familiarize myself with the various HTR screens.

I am an ex-Sartinite----a huge Brohamer fan----and a PACE handicapper---and I found just about everything I needed. I've been away from the races for several years, but now that I'm retired, I look forward to renewing my love affair with the ponies!

The power, and potential of HTR-and-HDW is impressive and exciting!

The joy is in the journey---not the destination---and I'm looking forwad to renewing my impossible dream. At a baseball forum, my moniker is , Don Quixote. Perhaps I shoud have used that here as well!

Tom
01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Grasshopper - did you try MaxVel?

GRASSHOPPER
01-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Grasshopper - did you try MaxVel?

Not yet, Tom!

MaxVel wasn't included with the DEMO download!!

Looking forward to seeing it!

GRASSHOPPER
01-13-2008, 02:57 AM

Though I have yet to start with HTR---
I would suggest:

Go to the HTR HOME PAGE:

1) Download the FREE DEMO!

2) On the left side of the homepage, CLICK on: HTR2-HELP!

3) At bottom of HTR Home Page, CLICK on HTR2 USER GUIDE!

Then go through the various screens, and find the data you're most interested in!

Have funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

BillW
01-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Another place to go for screen by screen documentation ...

http://71.18.152.128/forums/index.php

BillW
01-13-2008, 03:05 AM
MaxVel should work in the demo environment too ...

http://www.homebased2.com/km/htr.htm

njcurveball
01-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks all.

I will peruse the forums. .

Your best bet would be to print out the old copies of the Newsletters and put them in a binder and read them over.

That will give you a good idea of what is in the software and how people are using it.

There was a spot play contest about a year ago which showed a lot of different techniques used to make money as well.

Do a search for "spot play" on the forum or find that Newsletter.

As was said above, the HTR forum is much better place to ask questions than this one.

best of luck to you,
Jim

russowen77
01-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Thanks y'all. I will sure use y'alls suggetions and will use the forums heavily over there. I do have much faith in the people here and wanted to get members ideas.

BTW, Donnie is going to help me get started but is up to his ears in drywall right now. :)

GRASSHOPPER
01-13-2008, 06:09 AM
MaxVel should work in the demo environment too ...

http://www.homebased2.com/km/htr.htm

Thankxxxx, BillW.

Anxious to see MaxVel!

Donnie
01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
you'll love MaxVel, Grasshopper!
You will definitely need this newsletter to understand the different modes in the program! http://www.homebased2.com/km/pdf/HTRMonthlyReport-JAN2007.pdf
BOL!!

DanG
01-13-2008, 11:45 AM
All the heavy hitters have given great advice Russ…

Welcome aboard and don’t be a stranger! :ThmbUp:

GRASSHOPPER
01-13-2008, 12:24 PM
A gift from me to:

DanG
Tom
BillW
njcurveball
Donnie@HTR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ3u3fTG70Q&feature=related

The voice belongs to Susanne Rigacci!

If the LINK takes forever----COPY & PASTE --- iT'S WORTH IT!

DanG
01-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Russ,

This may be the most flattering response you get. I am a visual player. Everything I play, day to day, is based on what I see at the track, therefore, I do not use a computer program. With that being said, in my opinion, HTR is the best product you can get. I've been competing at handicapping tournaments for the passed 10 years. It seems that in every tournament, at least one HTR user is on the leaderboard (sometimes if I'm lucky, they're below me). Actually, I've backed off playing in multi-track tournaments because of their level of competition. I've concentrated more on single track live money bankroll tournaments where I can take away their edge.

John Buckley,won back to back tournaments at the Gold Coast in Vegas last July and Ken Massa (Htr's creator) finished 2nd in the NHC finals last January. There are MANY MANY MANY more success stories, I just don't have the time to write it.
That’s quite a compliment coming from the guy Ken Massa calls…”The best tournament player in the country”. :ThmbUp:

DanG
01-14-2008, 08:18 AM
A gift from me to:

DanG
Tom
BillW
njcurveball
Donnie@HTR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ3u3fTG70Q&feature=related

The voice belongs to Susanne Rigacci!

If the LINK takes forever----COPY & PASTE --- iT'S WORTH IT!
Thank you GH!

Brilliant…Loved the movie, score and that performance!!! :ThmbUp:

Tom
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
A gift from me to:

DanG
Tom
BillW
njcurveball
Donnie@HTR:

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

njcurveball
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
WOW! I never knew Warren Buffet was a Conductor! :lol:

russowen77
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks to all. Especially grasshopper for that score.

I am up and running and the product is great at first glance. I have a lot of work to do but I wanted a product that I could manipulate the data so it would help me maximize what i am good at and this one sure seems to qualify.

HDW folks were great at getting me signed up and running. I mentioned PaceAdvantage and got a serious thumbs up for the site from the HDW folks.

It looks like I have a lot to play with as this colt has many many features that I am going to loving fooling with for a bit.

That is also a very good price for a months worth of programs and data imo.

Question-- do many of you run more than one program consistently?
If you do, do you run ones that have specific functions as well as the main program like HTR.

Adding this pup to my eyes has really gotten me excited about the upcoming meet.

Toss_DeLoser
01-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't run HTR, but you HTR guys will know who I'm talking about. The wife and I had a fantastic lunch Friday at "Shangi-La" with "The Mexican" and "The lovely Rubster". Fastest and funnest three hours spent in a very long time. First class folks all the way around.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

russowen77
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
I did a run through today on the default settings. I wish I had bet the first race as it was like 1-2-3.his thing is very very versitile and first impression is that I sure love it. I might need to start betting turf races. :)

Thanks to all the ideas. The printout ideas have been really helpful as the manual is decent and even references the handicapping books they used as reference in many cases.

Donnie
01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Toss-
The wife and I are planning a late Spring trip to Shangri-La. The pictures look very beautiful and tranquil.....any sign of the eagles?

russowen77
01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Where is Shangra-La??

Toss_DeLoser
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Donnie, no eagles that day. Just that one little turkey.:lol:

Donnie
01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
LOL!!!! And I don't have to ask about him!!!

Russ--Eastern TX.......you'd never know it though!!! One other thing about HTR...you are going to make some very endearing friends! Just get involved and it's guaranteed to happen!! (the friendships I have found thru HTR definitely outweigh the program and everything it does! And that's not to take ANYTHING away from the program!!)

russowen77
01-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks Donnie. I really hope to meet a lot of the folks. I really like the minds of the people on this board. Even those I disagree with. Fine bunch as far as I can tell.

The eagles thing got me a little.:) I can't keep the darn things out of the front yard-they use a pine to fish from- and when eagles go-- lord they go. Nothing can live around that tree.