PDA

View Full Version : The State is going to control your Thermostat Wirelessly

JustRalph
01-12-2008, 01:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/us/11control.html

We have a nice discussion going about rights in another thread. I mentioned the state overstepping and today we get a brand new example.........and this is amazing to me...........if the citizens of California let this happen,,,,,,,,they might as well lay down and drop their proverbial drawers and stick their asses in the air...............

California Seeks Thermostat Control

SAN FRANCISCO — The conceit in the 1960s show “The Outer Limits” was that outside forces had taken control of your television set.

Next year in California, state regulators are likely to have the emergency power to control individual thermostats, sending temperatures up or down through a radio-controlled device that will be required in new or substantially modified houses and buildings to manage electricity shortages.

The proposed rules are contained in a document circulated by the California Energy Commission, which for more than three decades has set state energy efficiency standards for home appliances, like water heaters, air conditioners and refrigerators. The changes would allow utilities to adjust customers’ preset temperatures when the price of electricity is soaring. Customers could override the utilities’ suggested temperatures. But in emergencies, the utilities could override customers’ wishes.

Final approval is expected next month.

“You realize there are times — very rarely, once every few years — when you would be subject to a rotating outage and everything would crash including your computer and traffic lights, and you don’t want to do that,” said Arthur H. Rosenfeld, a member of the energy commission.

Reducing individual customers’ electrical use — if necessary, involuntarily — could avoid that, Dr. Rosenfeld said. “If you can control rotating outages by letting everyone in the state share the pain,” he said, “there’s a lot less pain to go around.”

While the proposals have received little attention in California, the Internet and talk radio are abuzz with indignation at the idea.

The radio-controlled thermostat is not a new technology, though it is constantly being tweaked; the latest iterations were on display this week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Pacific Gas and Electric, the major utility in Northern California, already has a pilot program in Stockton that allows customers to choose to have their air-conditioning systems attached to a radio-controlled device to reduce use during periods when electricity rates are at their peak.

~more at the link~

ljb
01-12-2008, 06:44 AM
And this is worse then allowing the scumbag greedy bastards at places like Enron control your energy ?

rastajenk
01-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Way worse.

DJofSD
01-12-2008, 09:22 AM
A state that can't do power deregulation, a state that has to raise taxes just to break even, a state that can't decide when it wants to hold it's primary election, a state the can't manage it's own water supply, now the state that is the equivalent of being "the smartest state in the union" wants to control my thermostat, I don't think so!

What you see in the CHRB is writ large for the state.

bigmack
01-12-2008, 09:35 AM
"the smartest state in the union" wants to control my thermostat, I don't think so!
First, let me begin by saying you're up far too early for a Saturday. Secondly, SDG&E has had in place a program for businesses that regulates when their AC blows and it has been mammothly effective in reducing energy loads. Thirdly, have little worry that "The Man" will control your indoor climate.

If single family dwellings choose to participate they'll be compensated with a greatly reduced energy bill.

In conclusion, let me say, green businesses are outstanding. They're terrifically fruitful.

Tom
01-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Big Brother has changed parties.

Arnold should have worn a helmet when he lifted weights.:rolleyes:

Mack, you can come to NYS.......if you can afford the tolls!:D
Very green state, what with all of Bruno's fertilizer.

Hosshead
01-14-2008, 08:14 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/us/11control.html

..........if the citizens of California let this happen,,,,,,,,they might as well lay down and drop their proverbial drawers and stick their asses in the air...............

That's where they think the thermostat is located. (The article is from San Francisco).

delayjf
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll bet the Capitol will be runnin cool.

Yorker
01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Very green state, what with all of Bruno's fertilizer.

LOL :lol: :lol:

russowen77
01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Man what a change. The Republicans have really embraced this big government concept.

JustRalph
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Man what a change. The Republicans have really embraced this big government concept.

There aren't any Republicans in California..........

kenwoodallpromos
01-15-2008, 02:35 AM
You've never been east of I-5!

russowen77
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Then who voted for the Rep. Gov??

ljb
01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Check out the growth of government since the neo-cons took over.

Dave Schwartz
01-15-2008, 10:08 AM
One of my sons is working as an electrician's assistant in California right now. Just the other day he was talking about how "motion-sensor" lighting is now required in all new CA homes. Might only be in the bathrooms, but it is "code."

JustRalph
01-15-2008, 02:36 PM
You've never been east of I-5!

I was being a little tongue and cheek...................

But Arnold is not a Repub. He is a puppet of his wife and their family

you can almost see her hand sticking out of his ass when he speaks

I expected more from him. I signed the petition to recall Davis and left California the day before the Election that Arnold won, secure in the knowledge that he would win. I never figured he would turn into what he has.

kenwoodallpromos
01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I was being a little tongue and cheek...................

But Arnold is not a Repub. He is a puppet of his wife and their family

you can almost see her hand sticking out of his ass when he speaks

I expected more from him. I signed the petition to recall Davis and left California the day before the Election that Arnold won, secure in the knowledge that he would win. I never figured he would turn into what he has.
Knowing the fluctuation in Ca politics and who pulls the strings, the idea of Con-Ed or PG+E being in control also means they can set it to put out more gas or elect. than needed also! How can they tell if you are on vacation or not?

Pace Cap'n
01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
How can they tell if you are on vacation or not?

By monitoring the ambient air in your house for CO2 from your exhalations.

DeanT
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
This all reminds me of my showerhead story. It's not overly exciting, so skip my post if you want.

About ten or so years ago I had a kick ass shower. It knocked ya over. People would come to my house and comment on how great my water pressure was. I was like some sort of shower-superhero.

Then one day my shower head broke and I had to get a new one. So I went to Home Depot. The pressure stunk. I brought it back and got another. It stunk too. I spent about a year looking for a showerhead that would do what my old one did. I never could find one. Then I went on the web to try and find a good one again, and I found a story on a libertarian website about showerheads. Turns out the folks in Washington mandated that shower heads could only have so much litres per hour pour. The enviro-folks had made taking a shower pretty much a crime. So they put a governor in the heads at the government prescribed level to make sure we were not using too much water.

What happened? As with most crazy wacko-government stuff, nothing. People just took longer showers; as was shown in the studies.

One good thing came out of my showerhead debacle: The website did show you how to take the governor out - I guess to "stick it to the man".

I won't say I did that, because well frankly I am frightened that the water police will come to my door and arrest me for doctoring my showerhead. But a hint: I have a nice shower now ;)

Dave Schwartz
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
About ten or so years ago I had a kick ass shower. It knocked ya over. People would come to my house and comment on how great my water pressure was. I was like some sort of shower-superhero.

Dean,

So, like if I come over to your house it is likely that we take a shower together?

I don't think so, bucko.

:lol: :lol:

Seriously... where is that website? I actually had the same thing with a showerhead. (Although we've got great water pressure none of my friends actually know that. :lol: )

Dave

DeanT
01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey Dave,

I cant remember the exact website. I knew it was a libertarian one, so I googled and got this.

http://www.freeexistence.org/highflow.html

I had no idea this was a Seinfeld episode :D

Anyway, read it at your own risk. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I wonder if there is a cross border punishment for shower links? I'll wait for the Mounties and let you know.

In the meantime, enjoy your shower.

Dave Schwartz
01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Dean,

No matter how hard I tried I just could not come up with something funny to say after your post.

Alas, I am... silenced.

:faint:

Dave

Dave Schwartz
01-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Okay, I am back! (And I am armed with wit, so watch out!)

But first, I have been to that site and you are da' man! I loved the simple instructions - "get it at Home Depot" and such as that. Even I could do it.

Say, remember how an issue at election time was hiring illegals as servants? Do you suppose we could see a "shower-gate" scandal? I'll bet that at least one candidate takes a high-power shower! (I mean, really... as dirty as a politician can get, if anyone needs an ass-kicking shower it must be one of them!
:lol:

Dave

JustRalph
01-16-2008, 12:08 AM
they also put on scald protectors on the shower controls..........so everybody runs their water heaters hotter than they need be..............they are easy to remove

DJofSD
01-16-2008, 12:54 AM
No matter how hard I tried I just could not come up with something funny to say after your post.

How about: never let the little head do the thinking for the big head?

Gittup
01-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey California people! Here in upstate NY, I heat with wood. Don't you have some very big redwood trees that you could buck up and put in your woodstoves? What about all that chapparal that makes for some very exciting brush fires? That stuff looks like it burns pretty well. Get a brush hog and harvest some to heat your homes. Fug those idiots that want to mess with your thermostats!