PDA

View Full Version : 'Puter Rebuild

Hammerhead
01-11-2008, 08:12 PM
My computer crashed a couple weeks ago. Dell 4600. Power supply failure. Mother board, processor. I will make my own due to Dell's structure ( my parts only) It will be used for racing only. I have 7 yrs of back data for all tracks. Any suggestions on processors vidio cards ram would be appreciated. I want stability and unlimited access to the network if possible. I will run Microsoft Office, ESROI5, and my own spefied up "SLICKER PICKER",
World reknown for never picking a winner. I have a intack 80 meg Hard drive with all info accessable. I would like to use windows XP as I am familier with it. My health and age is of such that I do not have the time to learn a new system. BUT I am sure I can find a few more losers.

Thanks Folks; Hammerhead

robert99
01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
H,

Not all makers particularly smaller ones use non-standard components like Dell.
PCs are so cheap now they are almost throwaways - so own build for own interest's sake.

For reliability you need simplicity and last year's technology, so think about a cheap Asus or Gigabyte motherboard, a CPU chip to suit your budget (quadcore are the current thing) Intel or AMD, whatever is cheapest.
I would not buy a separate graphics card as the motherboard has a built in one that suits your stated needs.
PSU should be 400W or more.
RAM 1Mb is sufficient - make sure motherboard accepts cheapest current RAM sticks.
Fastest and reliable connection to router/internet is via an Ethernet patch cable rather than wireless. If you need wireless internet use a Belkin USB adapter.
Go for SATA hard disks and use your old one as a second IDE drive. Else go for 2 new SATA HDs and set up as RAID which protects you from data loss on one HD.

JustRalph
01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Dont forget you can always buy a new computer, buy a kit for an external drive and put your old drive in the mix as an external USB drive.

Much easier and the external kit is easy to put together and costs 20 bucks