PDA

View Full Version : Early Gulfstream in Double Digits

Grits
01-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Every year in the opening days of Gulfstream Park, double digit prices can be gleened. This morning, I looked at results of these first few days, after having worked the cards these opening days.

Ever heard the old addage . . . get me once, your fault; get me twice, MY fault? I've always like it. A lot. lol

Longshots, being a gift, in the general sense--are prices that are so rare, I consider them Christmas presents, when they cross the wire. Double digit payouts at this level are extremely rare, and seldom seen.

Still, maybe it'll help to be aware of possibilities with entries in upcoming day's cards; noting here, a couple of trainers who've already thrown "big ones."

One such trainer last week was Phil Serpe, who on Friday, Jan 4th, in the 8th race sent out #10--Close To The Vest (as Joanne Jones said, "was he ever!") with Castellano aboard in a 7 furlong MSW for 3 yos, this one owned by Flying Zee Stables won by almost 6 lengths, off @ 39/1 paying $80.20.

A couple of days later, on Sunday, Jan 6th, in the 4th race, Serpe fired once again for Flying Zee. This time in a MSW for 3 yos going a mile on the Turf. #8--I Lost My Choo (as in Jimmie Choos) crossed the wire @ 23/1 paying a generous $49.00.

The unusual thing about these two entries, Flying Zee, often, is in on the early wagering. With the 1st entry here, this was not the case.

For anyone who watches Tampa, you may be familiar with trainer, Edwin Broome. On last Thursday, Opening Day-Jan 3rd, Mr.Broome sent one of his own horses out in the 7th race at GP, a 1 mile on the Turf claiming event. Off @ 18/1 and paying $38.60 Lezcano steered Zulmin to win by 1/2 a length.

Yesterday, Jan 9th, Mr.Broome again sent out another of his horses, this time with M.Lopez aboard in the 7th race. Honored Prince went off @ 14/1 paying $29.80 and winning by 3 lengths.

Both of these entries were Calder, last out.

A couple of others that have scored at double digits:

Terry Pompay, Helen Pitts, Darrin Miller, Joe Orseno, along with Florida based, Daniel Hurtack and Fred Warren.

(I couldn't have found Warren's winner with a search warrant; but then, I never can!!)

If I am incorrect on any of these; please add notes, please feel free to correct. And certainly, add others with your handicapping and play.

Early GP is more interesting than later GP.;) I hope it proves so for many of you here, and much good luck.

magwell
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
WOW, I wish you would have told us this before it all happened..........:bang:

Grits
01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
WOW, I wish you would have told us this before it all happened..........:bang:

It is only one week into the meet.

I did not state that these were ALL selections; I don't care to go into that.

I posted them, simply, as a watch list of note for anyone handicapping Gulfstream's card in coming days.

Do what ever you like with the info.

phatbastard
01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
thanks for the heads-up Grits

Grits
01-10-2008, 11:42 PM
thanks for the heads-up Grits

You are, indeed, welcome PB.