PDA

View Full Version : SUFF Splits the 7th

Suff
01-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Gents... How goes it? Its been so cold I wanna scream. I mean, I have a high tolerance for pain...abnormally high. But I work outside.. and after three weeks of sub-zero weather- Suff needs a hug and a Blankey. Gotta work tommorrow too... Probably get home just in time to play my Pik4... But I ripped the card apart tonight so I am ready ... I handicapped Wrapped in a Blanket like an ole lady...
It's supposed to be 30 degrees tommorrow.. if it is.. I'm working topless and catching a tan...30's gonna feel like 80.

Anyway.. Onto the horses... I looked at the 7th first,,, This what I saw...

6 furlongs/43k, NW1-open 11 horse field-NO AE's

Speed has ruled and ya gotta think it's gonna stay that way until we get some thawing...

#1 Salt water Cowboy (3-1) In my mind.. the horse has gotten exactly what he has needed to win and has'nt. So I'm not sure he can win here. Horse is a stone cold closer/rater.. Needs alot of heat up front. And he's Gotten two identical races a 22.2 with a 45.2 and a 22.1 and a 45.2. They don't run many 21's and 44's in NY? So I'm not sure what he can get thats gonna help him, What he HAS not gotten is a slow last 1/4. And with 11 horses and a few with identical style... I'm pretty sure he won't see a 27 or 28 last quarter here either. So that leaves him outside looking in. He does have the one post going for him in a saving ground sorta way.. but he has no early speed to really posistion himself well... If he does break well and sits 3-4 lengths off the pace...that might help him... But I'm not sold this is my guy.

#2 NJ Devil. I like Runners and this is a runner , 7 times on ticket from 8 starts is enough to like this one. He raced well-better than it looks in his INNNER debut... earned a 73... Looked very good in the MUD next out... When he earned a LIFETIME high 87 beyer,.... and I put alot of stock in a Horses that take to the inner... and this horse appears to like it. he might like the MUD,, but he has two FAST track wins. Last was 4YO and up.. he steps back to his Peer group today.. Things to like and I'm using on wider ticket.

#3 A One Rocket (5-1) This is one of those horses that if not for the Connections-- You'd get a price tommorrow.. But with MOTT-LUZZI... you better LIKE this horse,,, Because he's all over the map and anything is possible... including a RUN to nowhere in dead last at 4-1 or less. Was a 3-2 Fav at this level in September... and was a Flukey 4-1 favorite in his best lifetime race where he got caught at the wire , while earning a 92 beyer. From 10 lifetime starts he's beyered in the 90's 5 times. Hard to ignore.. but its a "close your eyes and pray" bet. 2 of 3 wins are on a speed favoring fast track...

#4 Country Dragon 20-1. Are you familiar with Belmonts MILE and HALf OVAL? Its the only MILE and A HALF oval in NORTH AMERICA. And they break , basically.. onto the turn when sprinting there. The inside is death at belmont. Especially for a horse with no early speed. Broke his Maiden with a 79,, so it would'nt be a HUGE leap for him to Beyer up to belong here. ..And I might add.. that last effort looks worse than it is... do you Recogonize the horse's name that ran third that day? About 7 lengths in front of this guy? PAPUA!! A real race horse... If I excuse his Belmont effort and assume that he has a legitmate right to improve.. and that the 4 post,,while not the best,, is something he can work from.......... then I have a right to use this horse... and I may

#5 Our Summer Storm (5-1)... a short 4 lengths behind a Pretty impressive winner on Todays card ( wire to wire in 43K allow, mile in 138.9) Lots of layoffs.. Few wins...Big time money Burner. but he won't burn any of mine tommorrow,,,toss'd

#6 Stormy Day... (12-1) Anyone have the DRF there... Read what the Mike Hamersly says about this horse.... "would prefer Moisture in the track or turf" "best Efforts have come on Off tracks"... Horse has three wins.. all three on Dirt... all three on FAST tracks... Has an 80 beyer ,.. going this distance in a 50K Claimer that he won... So if he BEYERS high (lifetime high is 81) and wins on a FAST TRACK... Then where does hammersly get that comment? Seriously... sometimes those guys Just MAKE STUFF UP!!! The horse has raced well on all surfaces.. and is Versatile... thats the truth... Forget Hammmersly... he already cashed his paycheck and is probably half drunk by now... This Animal.. finished Just behind MIKE AND LEO (7-2) Two months ago on a NJ fast track.. and was beat by a NICE horse in LASER CON last out .. and is 4 for 5 in the excata in his last five starts...that coincidentally started occuring when he got the Jockey who gets the Mount today...,.23% trainer 19% Jockey Horse is VERY playable on any track...

#7 Whisk (20-1) Two thirds and TWO wins on the only four fast tracks he's ever seen. Caught SLop in his first race in 6 months.. But they did bet him to 13-1 in a 8 horse field. Worked steady ,, rested... One under his belt... Could explode and be gone quickly... But I don't think so,,, But I don't blame those that might... Toss'd

#8 Mister hennesey (5-1) .. The 6... the one that only likes OFF tracks? Beat this guy last out by a nose... But he's 5-1 and the 6 is 12-1? OK... I guess. He does Look ready to fire a Big one tommorrow,,, has that beyer pattern I like... 3 ups and a down, then a NEW high,,,,, 3 ups , then a Down,,, then a New high.... Figures there...using

#9 Affair in the air... (20-1) Does have a 2nd and 3rd at this level... and this field is No world beaters. His worst races have come at the hands of VOW.. Papua...Sherpa Guide and 1 n three... The race that interest me is that Lenghth and half behind COMPELLING WORLD... Gonna try and give him a Look on the track,,,, I may,,use this horse in a very real way. If you excuse his last as needing one.. and prune his 6F trys out of his PP's.... he's playable.

#10 Judge Chris 20-1...... This race is open... This one is playable too... Hard to outright toss this guy. sure.. he's 0 for 12 on the inner... but he's 8 for 12 ITM and 5 for 12 in the EXACTA on the inner.. all at comparable levels as this.. and many against Toughr fields,,,, CATS FURY is great horse... a Horse I gave away here ealier in the week as a $10.00 winner . Has a 91 on the inner.. Look at his race against Puzzlement and ESSAYSON and tell me this horse has no shot? I can't

#11 Mike and LEO... this one I am eliminating... Because he is all Speed.. and I don't think he can clear the field and win from out here. He got beat by the two last out.. and I just can't see him holding off all 11 horses that include some pretty good closers.

If I had to single... it'd be the 8

on a three wide it'd be 8-9-6

Wider 8-9-6-4-2

If I had some house money in my Pocket.. this is definatley my ALL leg... Tough race....

Good luck tommmorrow

NYRAcapper
01-25-2003, 03:21 AM
Nice breakdown Suff

Let's see what I can add

#1 SALT WATER COWBOY
Appears very well meant to me with the jockey switch to Castellano. Actually agree with SUFF that this horse will probably not win. What I disagree with him on with this horse is running style this horse is not a stone cold closer he is a pure pace presser.In all of his wins he has been within 2 of the lead at 1st call, what this horse needs is little less pace not more. Also I'm not so sure he cares for an of inner track remember he has not yet seen a "fast" track in NY. Kinda depends on the ride he gets and I did not care for the way Castellano rode on Thursday at all. I didn't get to see yesterdays card but I do see he lost on three favorites so while I would definitely not toss him from a pk-4 ticket I wouldn't use this horse at less than probably about 4-1 for a win or exotic bet. Status: LUKEWARM CONTENDER no value.

#2 NJ DEVIL
Another horse who has not seen a fast track in NY. Think his name says it all ------two letters N.J. This is a Jersey Bred facing open allowance company in NY. He ran a helluva a race last out and has a sparkling record. I wouldn't blame anyone for liking or using this horse, but I have a feeling he left his best race on the track last out. He's a prime bounce candidate in my eyes and therefore will be tossed. I could look real real follish here but I gotta take a stand somewhere. STATUS: TOSS

#3 A ONE ROCKET
Now here's a nice horse. I may be a little too forgivingbut I gotta believe that when this one stumbled at the start of his last he lost all chance and Gryder eased him. I hate to give Gryder that much credit though. He's gonna be tough if he runs back to his previous start and I cannot toss him. He will not be my top choice either though as sprints are definitely not Mike Luzzi's forte. Also this guy is much like WAR EMBLEM he needs an unchallenged lead to really blow up and he aint getting it here.

COUNTRY DRAGON
This guy could run much much better than his odds suggest, especially if there is a total meltdown up front. That being said I don't expect a complete pace meltdown. Have trouble believeing that this horse is really well meant in this race but If you wanna shoot for the stars this one could really get you there quick. May decide to use on top in a daily double or something if I'm feeling frisky but I just don't think he will realistically be close enough to the pace to get it done. STATUS: TOSS

#5 OUR SUMMER STORM
This horse looks pretty decent to me. He is as SUFF says a money burner, but I think his running style fits this races pace real well. Main concern is he's never run on the inner and while he has been working very well he's been working at Belmont. Never ran on the inner yet. Could fire but is probably prepping for a seven furlong event later down the road. STATUS: Toss

#6 STORMY DAY
Another horse with the right style to win this race. His last was a good effort off the slight layoff. Problem here is I think for this horse to run his race he will be a little hard used early, causing him to flatten out late. Not my favorite but cannot toss. STATUS COOL ALMOST COLD : contender

#7 WHISK
The positive: Eligible too improve
The Negative: Diane Nelson, question mark at the distance, Diane Nelson, lots of speed insude and outside of him, and last but not least did I mention Diane Nelson...STATUS: TOSS

#8 MISTER HENNESSEY
Kinda suprised not to see McKee or Pimental on this one. Chavez is definitely capable but is not normally Dutrow's first choice of jock. Maybe he wants the weight break??? Actually now that I look at it Both this horses career win have come when he was getting weight off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gets about 5 lbs. on most of these today. Gonna demand a price here though as I think this one is an off-track freak and he has yet to prove to me he can go with these on a fast track Status: TOSS

#9 AFFAIR IN THE AIR
Guy has had 21 races and don't know how many more chances they are gonna give him before they decide he's about a 35K claimer. May hit the money but won't win here STATUS: TOSS

#10 Judge CHris
Okay I tossed Affair in the Air for having 21 starts so why is this horse a contender after 25 starts. Simplekinda, #1 I like the jockey switch back to Castillo. Look at his pp's and I think its safe toi assume that the jockey switch means a running style switch. Like the way he stayed with em for a while being 4 wide last time, that may have been just the type of conditioning run he needed to keep him from hanging in the stretch again. STATUS: contender

#11 MIKE AND LEO
Sure to lead, almost as sure to fade. But if any horse was to get away early, this WILL be the on therefore I cannot toss

Okay I'm not really to keen on this race but I'll break it how I would use some of these Horses.

PK-4 I'm Using1-3-6-10-11

If I had to choose 1 horse

Three horses
1-3-10

NYRAcapper
01-25-2003, 03:54 AM
Have amended my picks here slightly to include the #5 as a Contender and one of my top three picks, replacing the 1. This guy has chased some wicked wicked paces and it may payoff for him today.

May change again b-4 the race runs too. This race has me baffled gonna check the sixth cause I'd love to hit the ALL button here

Suff
01-25-2003, 01:57 PM
NyraCapper... thanks for taking the time to Break and down and give me a different view... I like to hear different ways people see races... Makes me a better handicapper... Quick note.... to the regulars... we have a nice thing here.. we have a lot of fun and make a few bucks... Don't let anyone come over here and infect us with nonsense... It could ruin it for us.... Lets pick winners... Break down races... support and encourage each other and leave the nonsense for others.... I have a standard that I try and live up to... I never say anything to anyone or about anyone.. that would make me uncomfortable to meet them in person and look them in the eye while I shake thier hand.... No one's perfect... me least of all.... I don't want to "Challange people" or "Confront people" thats not what I come here for...

I have something going... I'm trying to secure four , Two Bedrooom cottages on two acres of land,, right on the hudson river ... 6 miles from Saratoga... I have a Group that goes with me every year... But I want to invite any and all PA people.. Including the Grand POOH BA himself ,,, The great PA--- to come up... It would be nice to play the races live with a few of you guys.. and even meet a few peolpe from the board that don't interact with us regularly........ So . Lets try and keep it real... we're all real people, with real feelings and real personalities.... don't say or do anything that would make you feel uncomfortable meeting people out here... I know thats how I want to conduct myself..

I'm planning on taking the whole month of August off... This is where I will be all month

http://www.whisperingpinesctgs.com/default.htm

. Nyra... WIN.. JoetB Irish... if your going to the SPA this summer ... Your gonna meet the SUFF!!!

The group that owns this place.. is "Our" kind of people.... if you catch my drift... I'm working with them to get a whole corner of the pace.. Just for SUFF and his crowd

NYRAcapper
01-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks Suff for the comments, I enjoy breaking a race down with you. We generally come up with about the same thing from a different point of view. I haven't noticed anyone on this board really attack anyone else although I'm sure it happens. I generally only read the NYRA related stuff so I don't see alot. I personnally am not in a position to attack anyone on this board as you are all more experienced and better handicapper than I. But when I spend an hour or so staring at one race I enjoy sharing it with someone, even if I am wrong 95% of the time LOL/.
Good luck to everyone tommorow and I hope this bad run of CHALK quits in NY.

Later guys.

Suff
01-25-2003, 06:22 PM
I had that 47 dollar Pik4 today... and The one that "got away" was that 9 in the 7th... went off at 20-1 with three key scratches in the race... the 8.. My top pick and the 11 scratched at the gate/// Horse ran 2nd at 20-1.. paid 13.60 in the middle... I had um... I capped um... I had um in PICK 3, and 4's... If the 8 and 11 don't scratch... he's 30-1.... and I think he wins... the 1 was'nt soften up enough... and I needed the 11 to do that,,, but he late scratched on me... anyway... I feel like playing so I'm gonna fiddle at Sam houtson tonight.... I have a few bucks in my TVG account from a Winning day on Friday... SO hopefully I won;t hurt myself to bad tonight and I'll be swing for the fences tommorrow... I'll be capping on NY for tommorrow on the side as well ,,, so if you wanna take a race and I'll take race and we'll go back and forth tonight on it? What race you want? I never do the ninth first... maybe I will tonight? You want the 6 7th or 8th?

I was refering to the HUB bub over one of my posts where I said it takes courage to Handicap a race and Post your anaylsis in here... someone took exception to that and was all up my ass for a few days .. and a few people starting running with it... all crapola... but that all it takes,,,, Forget all that nonsense,,,, Handicapp winners.... that's all its about in here

Boris
01-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Suff,

Glad to see you taking a swing at ol' Sammy this evening. Fun track and some generous exotics on logical horses. My advise would be to play exactas and pick 3's. Cheaper than tris with fair payoffs.

I'll throw you a horse. Race 3 #1 Bag A Bit. John Jacinto flew to Nawlins to ride in the $100K race for Flores. Damn fine job as he brought the 99-1 in third and missed 2nd by a neck. Now he hustles back to Sammy for this ride in the 3rd, but no other ride till the 6th. Now why would he do that for a $7500 claimer with a $7400 purse? I'll let you fill in the blanks. ML 12-1.

Suff
01-25-2003, 07:37 PM
I've been trading e-mails with Reid Mclennam ... He just gave me a Horse? send me an e-mail... I''ll send you what he sent me... I don't mind Giving my horses away... But not someelse's

mdudley.boston@attbi.com

PurplePower
01-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah -- and that horse ran dead last. Trainer was definitely thinking he had something and he does blow some smoke from time to time. I have picked up a nice maiden or two from his conversations in the past --- This one may have bled.

I let you guys down on the 1A in the stake. I didn't think to check the Mexico past performances, this filly had two wins in three starts down there and Felipe chose to ride her over the #1 (he rode that one in her first U.S. start). Same connections that ran third in the Lecompte today - at least the Mexico City part. I hope that y'all may have heard me say "use entry on bottom of trifecta and superfecta plays" during paddock preview as she was best looking runner in paddock. Winner of that stake actually was "short striding" - very cinchy. She showed a lot of heart to get up and win.

Now I'm off to home and decision as to whether to make it down to Fairgrounds tomorrow or Monday. My son is asssistant trainer for Hal Wiggins and they are running Red Mountain at FG tomorrow and I'll place a small wager on him.

Zaf
01-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Boris
Suff,

Glad to see you taking a swing at ol' Sammy this evening.

I took a swing at Sammy this evening. I got the old knockout punch back.

I had win wagers on Simply Cyber, Dawn Charger, Expecting Sugar, all three led in the stretch and got nailed late.

Hurts.

ZAFONIC

Suff
01-26-2003, 12:39 AM
I lost 3 photo's tonight... Racing luck runs in streaks,, and we're all do for a GOOD ONE... I've taken some tough beats the last two weeks..... Sam Houston had me dizzy tonight....I swear the finish line was moving further away on me all night...........

Boris
01-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Just reading your note as I left shortly after posting mine. Thanks for the offer but I was not playing last night. Out with buds to Hooters and kinda down hill from there. I had already placed a bet on the horse when I was at the track earlier, and had I known JJ was not going to get back in time to ride, I would have passed. That was a part of the argument for the horse.