Rexdale You
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
When i download the results from Aqu.,,,I notice it includes the Med/cortizone

Yet this info is not available prior to post,,,,

Does anyone else notice this

Is this info available outside the barn,,, :bang: :bang: :ThmbDown:

46zilzal
01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I reviewed the Form the other day at Big A and all but about three horses, on the entire card, were NOT on furosemide....That is a lot.

Cortisone varies in it's effect as it is of equal glucocorticoid, mineralocorticoid and androgenic corticoid effects. It is only by manipulating the chemical nature that medications take on a different ratio of clinical effects, i.e flourinated steriods have a much larger ratio of anti-inflammatory (glucorcorticoid) effect over the other two. Mineralocorticoid meds work to create efficacy on the alteration of potassium sodium balances in the body.

Also, whether a med is used topically, orally or parentrally changes it's distribution and therefore clinical effect, so just knowing the parent med name, won't help much.

NONE of them should be used.

Rexdale You
01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks 46

You sound like a Vet,,,,

So applying or ingesting those meds make the horse a contender.

Would the track vet be informed the animal was on meds.

Should bettors be aware of this prior to postime.

The alternative is to avoid tracks when info is not available.

To me its like a loaded dice game. :bang: :bang: :ThmbDown:

46zilzal
01-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I am a retired physician and last season the track vet "took me under his wing" and opened me my eyes to veterinary medicine, gait analysis, necropsy results, why he scratched what he let go, tendon troubles, training and shoeing problems, medications and interactions, etc. etc.

A wonderfully honest and open man who had started out being a vet for rodeo horses and a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. Sadly, his ongoing knee arthritis forced him to retire from being the track vet....As he was fond of saying to me at the gate all season: "I'm not able to get away from them fast enough these days, and sometime soon one is going to land on me." He underwent knee replacement on December 11th and I am happy to report it was an unqualified success.

Medication EFFECTS last long after the drug is no longer IN the blood system. Most of the them are given without the knowledge of the commission vets.

There should be a ban on the majority of them.