PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Friday Jan 24

rrbauer
01-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Santa Anita
Friday Jan 24
Fast & Firm (Temp Rail @ 30ft)

One of the problems with these short fields at SA is that you can beat the favorite and still not get a good price. I like to look to the early double or P3 for some extra punch.

Here's the first 4 races.

R1
It’s easy to like Kinzie Woo but I’m going with two who should get this distance and then some. Smokey Blue & Limelighter

R2
Mr. Frankel is here with Lilac Queen and Mr. Bray has another New Zealand import, Monterey Bay . Queen should have these over a barrel.

R3
Wayne Hughes either needs a new bloodstock agent or a new trainer (maybe both). They paid $440k for Carthage last spring and here he is after one race in for $80k. Hot a ½ to Xtra Heat ain’t so hot and making him a gelding hasn’t improved anything. Baffert’s other one, One Eyed Cobra should improve here. They have to catch P Val on Bull Headed Harry

R4
Pearl Hunt found a spot she should like and a good draw. Genie Magic improved last time and could do better with Lafitt on board.

Back with the rest in a little bit.

pic6vic
01-24-2003, 04:55 PM
They sure bring back carthage quickly. At 9-5 not such a good play
but I really like his last race. He broke slow rushed up along the rail, got stopped and almost made the lead before finally tiring. Because Ellis brings back quickly this would be my play. I will use on top of Bull Headed harry and LeNotre

rrbauer
01-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Here's Races 5 thru 8:

R5
Jaklin’s Last Kin is going good and Spawr is managing him well. Lafitt stays. If a real ding-dong gets going up front, then it could set up for I Gotcha Covered and possibly Sabre Tooth Tiger . Bolchina’s Prize is not working nearly as well as he was when last seen here. That explains the drop to the bottom and with Jaklin having the recency edge and Lafitt riding bolder than ever ‘Prize will not get a lollypop trip in this spot. I’ll let him beat me.

R6
Dream Of Dashing caught the 1-hole in his debut and ran midpack. He did get bet a little (for a Fanning charge) and has come back to work lights out and catches a group that hasn’t much speed. I like ‘Dashing to wire this bunch. If he falters, then the two that will benefit late are Cheer The Score (not my favorite trainer) and Supervelous (not my favorite jock).

R7
If you twisted my arm and held a gun to my head, I’d just say Listen Indy . Devote has been rested and working very well for Baffert and the Wayne Hughes/Ron Ellis combination have another high-priced colt ($800k !) in Atswhatimtalknbout who flew late to win his debut. He won’t have Maidens in front of him today however. (I wonder if Wayne Hughes would like to spend a few bucks on a couple of my ventures?) :)
R8
Mr. Tufts (the ML guy) looks to have this one right. High Counselor should take back and let Flores go with Sir Tificate. Distinctive Speed and Bettor By Farr (Blinks On) will also go. Don’t know what P Val will do on Millennium Moment , but I guess he will try and gun, too. Raise Expectations should be in the garden spot into the turn and be ready to duke it out with ‘Counselor grinding away down on the inside for the money.

rrbauer
01-24-2003, 05:58 PM
R1
It’s easy to like Kinzie Woo but I’m going with two who should get this distance and then some. Smokey Blue & Limelighter

Result: Fudge Fatale (P Val) and Limelighter took off like a couple of thiefs when the burglar alarm goes off. That set it up for Bella Nunzi (outside trip) and Smokey Blue (inside trip, checked 3/8th pole and benefited off the turn). Blue got the win….I do not like this jockey (Tony Farina). I had two $10 DD’s from my two picks to Lilac Queen and two $2 DD’s to ‘Bay. So I’m alive.

R2
Mr. Frankel is here with Lilac Queen and Mr. Bray has another New Zealand import, Monterey Bay . Queen should have these over a barrel.
Result: ’Queen tracked inside to the 3/8th pole, came out to the 3-path for the run off the turn and nabbed La Vita E Bella (also Frankel !) at the 1/16th pole. ‘Bay was along for 3rd. Double came back $11.60 for $2 so I got $58 back from my $24. I started new doubles from Queen to four in the next (mostly to #1, #5 and #7 with a flyer on #4); and I started P3’s from Queen going thru that same bunch to Genie and Pearl in the 4th.

R3
Wayne Hughes either needs a new bloodstock agent or a new trainer (maybe both). They paid $440k for Carthage last spring and here he is after one race in for $80k. Hot a ½ to Xtra Heat ain’t so hot and making him a gelding hasn’t improved anything. Baffert’s other one, One Eyed Cobra should improve here. They have to catch P Val on Bull Headed Harry
Result: Well Carthage made short work of ‘Harry’s lead, opened a handful by the turn and galloped home an easy winner. ‘Cobra took back, came between contenders into the stretch and was a flying 2nd. Le Notre stayed outside for 3rd. Luther improved with a nice move into the lane, but ran out of gas late. Don't know if anyone took Carthage or not.
Had an $8 double ($8.60) to the winner that returned $34 for my $26 in DD bets (won’t get rich this way!). I’m live to Genie ($3 ticket) and Pearl ($8 ticket) in P3’s. Total of $50 invested there.

R4
Pearl Hunt found a spot she should like and a good draw. Genie Magic improved last time and could do better with Lafitt on board.
Result: Annoying! Perfect Woman got away early with Pearl tracking about three lengths back. Pearl made a nice move on the turn to hit the lane a length and a half back. If you saw the race, then you saw Vergara on three occasions try to switch the whip to his left hand but couldn’t do it. Beat a length-Damn! Pearl 2nd ($57 P3 for a $1) and Genie along for 3rd. ($34 P3 for a $1). I did have some place and show dough on Pearl (off at 9-1) but $57 times 8 would’ve been better!

I kicked off a P4 for a total of $68 starting in R5. Using 2,3,7/6,9,11/1,5,6/1,4,5,7. Some of those don’t get played on all tickets. I’ll post this and I’m going for a jog (already made my beer run this morning!!).

See ya after the 8th.

dogfish
01-24-2003, 06:50 PM
#1 smokey blue sure got bet down in first,got to watch out for farina-biancone,also garcia-abrams had a $17.40 winner yesterday.7th every ones talking about #6 atswhatimtalkinbout looks good but not much of price in a tough field.

rrbauer
01-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Damage Races 5 thru 8

R5
Jaklin’s Last Kin is going good and Spawr is managing him well. Lafitt stays. If a real ding-dong gets going up front, then it could set up for I Gotcha Covered and possibly Sabre Tooth Tiger . Bolchina’s Prize is not working nearly as well as he was when last seen here. That explains the drop to the bottom and with Jaklin having the recency edge and Lafitt riding bolder than ever ‘Prize will not get a lollypop trip in this spot. I’ll let him beat me.
Result: This one started OK with Bolchina getting parked out in the 5-path on the first turn. Jaklin got the lead up the backside, but Lafitt left the rail open and Martinez on Harbour Crossing went thru to get the lead. That left Lafitt wide on the turn. Jaklin battled back into the lane to regain the lead but Crossing had more left and won clear. Jaklin 2nd and Sabre Tooth grinding along for 3rd. –$68 on the P4 that died a quick death!

R6
Dream Of Dashing caught the 1-hole in his debut and ran midpack. He did get bet a little (for a Fanning charge) and has come back to work lights out and catches a group that hasn’t much speed. I like ‘Dashing to wire this bunch. If he falters, then the two that will benefit late are Cheer The Score (not my favorite trainer) and Supervelous (not my favorite jock).
Result: Goofy race. First, ‘Dashing opens at 3/2 (off at 9/5 I think) and runs a little early but never gets into the race after that. Time To Please outgamed Supervelous and Mr. Roadway to get the win. Redinal who made the early running held on for 4th Cheer The Score made a run into the turn but faded after that. Best part about this race is that my computer locked up so I couldn’t get any exactas in….saved me money!

R7
If you twisted my arm and held a gun to my head, I’d just say Listen Indy . Devote has been rested and working very well for Baffert and the Wayne Hughes/Ron Ellis combination have another high-priced colt ($800k !) in Atswhatimtalknbout who flew late to win his debut. He won’t have Maidens in front of him today however. (I wonder if Wayne Hughes would like to spend a few bucks on a couple of my ventures?) :)
Result: Speed, speed and more speed. Apalachian Thunder & Nation Wide News opened up three on the field up the backside and never came back. ‘Indy tracked in 3rd but never threatened. ‘talknbout came along late to get 3rd but never threatened either. The first two both took some late heat, 5-1 to 7/2 and 6-1 to 9/2 respectively. ‘Indy was 4th. Had $10 DD’s from 1 and 6 to 1 (High Counselor) in the 8th. -$20.

R8
Mr. Tufts (the ML guy) looks to have this one right. High Counselor should take back and let Flores go with Sir Tificate. Distinctive Speed and Bettor By Farr (Blinks On) will also go. Don’t know what P Val will do on Millennium Moment , but I guess he will try and gun, too. Raise Expectations should be in the garden spot into the turn and be ready to duke it out with ‘Counselor grinding away down on the inside for the money.
Result: Sir Tificate and Bettor By Farr went out winging and Lafitt tried to go with them with ‘Counselor (bad move). Raise Expectation tracked to the turn and took over into the lane. P Val got Millennium Moment winging into the lane and got the lead from ‘Expectation in deep stretch. ‘Tificate held on for 3rd and ‘Bettor saved 4th. I dropped $10 win and $20 place on ‘Counselor (7-1 when I bet). -$30

Looks like about a minus $115 on the day.