PDA

View Full Version : "Drafting"

Teach
01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
"Mike," I said, "Duck in behind ‘Bet-A-Billion’." "Billy," I continued." tail "the Beard." "Joe," I added, "get in behind ‘The Man’." These are some of the comments you might have heard at Foxboro Raceway nearly fifty years ago.

When we were teenagers, we used engage in the practice we was called "drafting." This kind of drafting had nothing to do with auto racing, NASCAR, or the Indy 500. It had everything to do with betting on harness races.

During the late-1950s and early 60s, my friends and I were regulars at Foxboro Raceway’s summer harness racing meet. At the time, we were young, foolish, and well, "wet behind the ears." We were filled with crazy ideas and crazy schemes. In fact, most of us were so young we had barely graduated from high school. Being young, we would engage in youthful indiscretions. One of those indiscretions was the activity I'm about to describe:"drafting."

What is drafting? Simply stated: It’s ducking in behind a well-heeled bettor who’s about to make a wager to find out what horse he’s betting on. From our nightly visits, we would quickly learn who the big bettors were. We would determine who our "pigeons" were. Now, mind you, we meant them no harm. We were not trying to deceive or defraud them. All we wanted to know was: Who were they betting on?

When we "drafted," we’d subtly tail them into line. It had to be done with quickness and finesse. You had to be quick; yet you had to accomplish the whole process without any undo attention. You had to act like an ordinary patron hurrying to get in line to make a bet.

I’ll provide a hypothetical example. Let’s say I was assigned to tail "Bet-A-Billion," or as we simply called him, "The Bet." I’d be watching him outta the corner of my eye. It was almost as if I were casing a job. Suddenly, I see him head for the window. Well, with the kind of moves that Detroit running back Barry Sanders used to make, I would quickly, but unobtrusively, duck in behind him. We used to call this process: "Running To Daylight."

Seconds later, "The Bet" is calling out his wagers. I’m within earshot. I’m making mental notes. I know what horse he’s bet and how much. After he’s left the window, I quickly (so as not to slow up the line) make a token $2 show bet on the horse he's just bet, or I might bet the prohibitive favorite. I then come back with my information. Others have done the same with their assigned "pigeons."

Well, we quickly collate our findings. We make an assessment. We pool our funds; one of us then goes to the window. Sometimes we’d bet; yet other times we didn’t. If there were, as they say in legal circles "a preponderance of evidence," we would likely make the wager. However, if we got conflicting signals, we’d back off.

Some of these guys that we followed began to sense what we were doing. That’s why we were always bringing in new recruits; we would "change crews."

Sometimes, the guys we tailed would go to the $50 window. It was private; it was secluded. It was off limits. We were out of luck. However, most of the time, they were too lazy to walk the extra few feet. So they’d go to the windows the small bettors used; that’s when we’d "draft."

There were also times when our "pigeons" would wait until the last minute to bet. In that case, there was no time for verbal exchange. Instead, we used signals. At those times, you’d think you weren’t at Foxboro Raceway but at the Chicago Board of Trade.

In the end, come to think of it, we didn’t make much money. In reality, we were probably lucky if we were breaking even. It was a childish game. A sport. A diversion. When I think back about it, I picture myself as one of those street urchins in Dickens’ "Oliver Twist." You know: "You’ve got to pick a pocket or two..." Only we weren’t picking anybody’s pockets, we were gathering information. Another aspect to all this was the fact that we were relatively poor guys. Even if we did get solid information, we didn’t have the funds to really take advantage of it.

Nowadays, every time I watch a NASCAR race and I hear the announcer say "that’s Tony Stewart drafting in behind Jimmie Johnson," I start to chuckle. In our day, the concept of "drafting" had a whole different meaning.

cnollfan
01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Nice post.

keilan
01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey Teach -- I'm glad you found our board, your remenisings of yester years really are quite good. Years ago a group of us went to the track together and there were a couple of guys who "drafted" behind trainers, grooms and jockey agents to the windows trying to get a leg up.

I chuckled while reading post, remembering a time 30 years ago :)

Zman179
01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Geez, I've done that a few times! :lol:

Greyfox
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Teach...can I be your book agent?:lol:

phatbastard
01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
...used to draft with a few other fellas....rarely if ever could a trainer or owner make a wager we weren't aware of......some guys thought they were smart...trainers ducking out through the tunnel and entering grandstand through gate we couldn't use, but if we saw him take-off, no need to see ...he was alive....actually saw a race with 12 entrants and everyone of them bet

best was @ garden State....5...10 and 50 window clerks were notorious touts, always hustling the whales.....well in 1st race, Hobeau horse trained by Jerkins ships down looking like lock of the day.....all the right people were betting him @7-5 [quite the huge fave in those days],well as i'm standing there by 5 window and thinking i don't want 7-5, here comes mrs Paxson, never saw her bet a horse not alive, but never more than 2wps...rich as could be, it was the thrill i guess....she walks up to Tommies window[the biggest tout on the grounds] and i'm thinking there goes the 20-1.....well tommy didn't know mrs paxson and she bet 5 wps....i'm apoplectic...rounding up the guys.....the touts pushing the chalk kept it up...i guess between the bunch of us we got 125 wp and horse drops only to 19-1........turning for home there are only 2 horses with a shot and our 19-1 shot prevails.......we had a good time watching the touts after the race

caught some great #'s on trots @ atl city too

sure miss those days.......

chickenhead
01-09-2008, 01:35 AM
you're a very good writer Teach, thanks for taking the time.