PDA

View Full Version : Winning Percentage

Teach
01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I've recently opened a harness racing website: www.harnessmaven.com (http://www.harnessmaven.com). I've been keeping track of how many winners I've picked. I have a question for the forum: What would you consider a winning percentage? I might mention that I'm making a pick for every race on the card.

headhawg
01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I think that ROI is all that really matters (profits, really), but to answer your question I think that you would need a higher percentage than the public for the track(s) that you are making selections for.

bigmack
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I've recently opened a harness racing website: www.harnessmaven.com (http://www.harnessmaven.com).
Your primary photo is a tad stretched. I became dizzy. I had to leave.

FlyinLate
01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I think that ROI is all that really matters (profits, really), but to answer your question I think that you would need a higher percentage than the public for the track(s) that you are making selections for.

Agreed. I'd much rather ask from someone who wins at a 20% clip with great prices than someone who bets 3/5 shots and wins at a 50% clip. ROI is really the only true way to judge this.

wilderness
01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Your primary photo is a tad stretched. I became dizzy. I had to leave.

People leave websites for a lot less.

the improper use when adjusting the size of the photo is termed "aspect ratio".

Websites are new to him and he used an image of Ponter Painting of Cat from the Harness Tracks of America website.
The image is taller than wider.
He needs a different image that is wider than taller.

He'll learn website structure and make the change eventually.

bigmack
01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
the improper use when adjusting the size of the photo is termed "aspect ratio".

The image is taller than wider.
He needs a different image that is wider than taller.
As someone who has created a few sites, I'm "hip" on the scene.

pandy
01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I've recently opened a harness racing website: www.harnessmaven.com (http://www.harnessmaven.com). I've been keeping track of how many winners I've picked. I have a question for the forum: What would you consider a winning percentage? I might mention that I'm making a pick for every race on the card.

I've been selling picks for many years, flats and trots, and unfortunately, if you expect people to eventually purchase your picks you need a pretty high win percentage. Logically, people should only be interested in your R.O.I., but my experience has shown that most people who purchase picks want winners, winners, and more winners. I would bet that if you had two professional handicappers, one guy that picked 40% winners and broke even, and another guy that picked 20% winners and showed a flat bet profit of 7%, the guy who picked 40% winners would have at least twice as many customers.

DeanT
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
That sounds logical.

When I go to the track with a new person I am asked who I like. It is often an 8-1 or over shot with some value. After four straight losses, they dont ask me who I like anymore.

Nice job still with the Grand Adventure Bob. Solid ROI.

pandy
01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
That sounds logical.

When I go to the track with a new person I am asked who I like. It is often an 8-1 or over shot with some value. After four straight losses, they dont ask me who I like anymore.

Nice job still with the Grand Adventure Bob. Solid ROI.

Thanks!

JoeG
01-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree with Bob and Dean on this. I have a spot play that hits 48% to win and a small ROI 2%. I also have a spot play thats 21% to win with a +50% ROI. The second is streaky and has some +10 horse losing streaks and people I've given (for free ;) ) the picks too have grumbled during those losing streaks and haven't asked for any more.

BTW, Bob's grand adventure and service (I subscribed last year, but haven't so far this year) are both winners..............now when is that long anticipated book coming out so I can steal.....err, incorporate some of your methods :lol: