PDA

View Full Version : Bad Beat at HOU

TEJAS KIDD
01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I've probably had the worst meet of my life this season at Sam Houston. I think I've won 3 of the 20+ racing days. I finally have a horse tonight that I know is miles the best. SO I FIRED AWAY!!!!

If any of you have access to replays, watch the trip on SJ STARBURST in the 10th race on Sunday 1/6. She was number 5.

If she wins, I cash a $4 Pick 3. A 10$ DD. $1100 to win. A $450 dollar Exacta
A 60 Trifecta and a $19 Super.

I cant Freakin take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:

I still made about 6k in the race, but it's nowhere near what I'm stuck for the meet/ or even the week.

BombsAway Bob
01-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I've probably had the worst meet of my life this season at Sam Houston. I think I've won 3 of the 20+ racing days. I finally have a horse tonight that I know is miles the best. SO I FIRED AWAY!!!!

If any of you have access to replays, watch the trip on SJ STARBURST in the 10th race on Sunday 1/6. She was number 5.

I still made about 6k in the race, but it's nowhere near what I'm stuck for the meet/ or even the week.
so it's You that's been killing the odds on horses I like there!:lol:

keilan
01-06-2008, 10:39 PM
That's a devastating beat, the 5 was clearly the best horse today but the start cost him and you the win.

You're a big hitter and it especially hurts when you take your swing. I'm tempted to download the card because the odds 4.5-1 don't represent how this horse ran after the slow start.

I've felt your pain

TEJAS KIDD
01-06-2008, 10:40 PM
so it's You that's been killing the odds on horses I like there!:lol:

Are you sure it's not YOU killing the odds on the horses I Like? Have you had any success at HOU? I think my failures this meet are attributed to the TERRIBLE jockey colony there. If you watch replays, watch the head on's of the break. It seems that 1/2 of every field is eliminated leaving the gate. I played 3 horses tonight, all at decent odds.
Race 3- BAMA SLEW
Race 6- IMACOUNTRYBOYTOO
and the aforementioned SJ STARBURST in the last.

If any of them would have won tonight, it would have been a HUGE night.
I just can't seem to overcome the bad trips this meet and I'm about ready to call it a meet and start over somewhere else. Beulah starts tomorrow:D

banacek
01-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Just watched the replay, that was a tough beat.

Amazingly the BRIS charts fail to mention the start the horse got, just said he railled 4 wide on the turn to take the lead.

TEJAS KIDD
01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Just watched the replay, that was a tough beat.

Amazingly the BRIS charts fail to mention the start the horse got, just said he railled 4 wide on the turn to take the lead.

That doesnt surprise me.

If you get a chance, watch that horses first career race. You'll understand why I loved her tonight. The running lines don't do her justice. She's a very nice horse, if she'd only learn how to leave the gate. She'll be 3/5 next time and I'll just watch her do the same thing, without my money on her.

BombsAway Bob
01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Are you sure it's not YOU killing the odds on the horses I Like? Have you had any success at HOU? I think my failures this meet are attributed to the TERRIBLE jockey colony there. If you watch replays, watch the head on's of the break. It seems that 1/2 of every field is eliminated leaving the gate. I played 3 horses tonight, all at decent odds.
Race 3- BAMA SLEW
Race 6- IMACOUNTRYBOYTOO

I just can't seem to overcome the bad trips this meet and I'm about ready to call it a meet and start over somewhere else. Beulah starts tomorrow:D
I vote for "Blinkers On" for the Jockeys! I have played most of the meet, & it kills me to watch jocks gawking around, looking over his left shoulder going into the far turn, then his right shoulder at the 1/8th pole...if they had a cell phone in their hand I'd swear they were driving on 190 in Worcester,Ma.

Zaf
01-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Tough Beat :( I wouldn't abandon ship so quickly. The 12 % takeouts on the Pick 3's are sweet. I have hit many this meet which have paid at least double of what the parlay would of paid :)

Z

TEJAS KIDD
01-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Tough Beat :( I wouldn't abandon ship so quickly. The 12 % takeouts on the Pick 3's are sweet. I have hit many this meet which have paid at least double of what the parlay would of paid :)

Z

I really cant play the pick 3s. I bet too much. I do play them, but only for 1 or 2 dollars ($5 at the most). My betting volume is way too much to be able to play into those pools. I'd have to hit every pick 3 on the card just to break even for what I spend on the rest of the card.
But I do agree with you, they are a good deal. It's funny that the PICK 4 with it's 25% takeout, generates more handle than the PICK 3's with it's 12% takeout. A majority of horseplayers can care less about takeout (actually a majority of gamblers can care less). Look at the LOTTERY (what is it 50% takeout?)

Zaf
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I know what you mean about small pools, I actually took half of a Pick 3 pool at Delta this past tuesday night playing $1 combos :eek:

Z

Jeff P
01-06-2008, 11:58 PM
I've enjoyed a pretty good betting meet there but have to concur with your assessment two things:

1. Have to be careful about overloading the pools

2. The Jockey colony.

I've learned to temper the plays I make based on who is riding. Some of the riders there (a small handful) actually ARE pretty skilled when it comes to getting the lead and keeping it. I think of those as my riders and have no qualms about betting when one of those guys is on a horse I like. The rest of the time finds me sitting on my hands.

I have to say most of the riders there have no idea of what pace is and wouldn't know a speed bias if it came up out of the ground and bit them on the ass. On a night when winner after winner happens over and over again on the front end the same guys "ride" horses the same way no matter what... As a result I've created a handful of UDMs that identify riders who whenever they are on the fastest horse in the race almost always strangle that horse and take it well back many lengths off the pace... even or especially a SLOW pace.

Needless to say I avoid betting horses flagged by negative rider UDMs like the plague. Over the years this strategy has saved me a LOT of money.

Before I went to identifying the habitually bad riders you don't know how many times I've cursed at the screen while watching some other horse at HOU win a route race on the front end in fractions of something like 25.1 and 49.4 while the rider of the horse I bet was fighting and strangling my horse to keep it back 10 lengths off that soft pace so that it could "finish" to be a well beaten 4th or 5th.

It kills me to watch that... whether it be at Sam Houston or Saratoga.

I won't name names but some of my negative rider UDMs are spelled with letters like QHAMCANTRIDE and BWALKERSPECIAL.

-jp

2low
01-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I love this HOU meet! It's the only good thing that breaks up the gawdawful buggy races on TVG:) . I just wish more people would log on and play at night to get the pools up.

Oh, and I had the 5 too:(

samyn on the green
01-07-2008, 03:51 AM
That was brutality. You couldn't find that type of abuse with $5000 and a Dominatrix. We have all been there but this one is about as bad as it gets. You have all the factors that make a bad beat, tangled break, jockey error and under the wire theatrics. This may be the "perfect bad beat"

By the way I discovered Sam Houston this year. After never making a wager there in my life Houston has become my preferred out of town track. The controlling factor that initiated the love affair are those pick 3s with the 12% takeout. The boycott crowd should be playing this place exclusively.

bigmack
01-07-2008, 04:39 AM
The controlling factor that initiated the love affair are those pick 3s with the 12% takeout.
Tough to fall in love with pools that scarcely cross 10K even with the charitable take.

TEJAS KIDD
01-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I won't name names but some of my negative rider UDMs are spelled with letters like QHAMCANTRIDE and BWALKERSPECIAL.

-jp

It's really sad when I think that those two are the better riders on the circuit. What does that say about the rest?
I throw out LT now. I think something happened to him physically and he doesnt sit well on a horse anymore. He still wins his share but he looks awful on a horse and he doesnt get the run he used to.
You're right about QH. He takes everything back. I think he's still psychologically reeling from his HORRIBLE ride on Kip Deville in the Colonial Turf Cup. I guess he's trying to make up for it by strangling everything else.
BTW, I had $750WP on him in that race at 28-1. UGH!!

boomman
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM

Tejas: We've all had 'em over the years, but I agree with you 100% that this horse was a MILE the best. Unbelievably poor ride: Left in gate, used up to make the lead too early in the stretch, you name it, he did it. Unfortunately, many times overlays like that (I was watching the Sam Houston race card last night, and made a few plays because of the low takeout and PTC carrying it with cash rewards), result because of the connections or the price creeps up because of who's aboard. Keep your chin up, it's been my experience that these things have a way of evening up if you consistently have the best horse like you did here..............:ThmbUp:

Boomer

jotb
01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
It's really sad when I think that those two are the better riders on the circuit. What does that say about the rest?
I throw out LT now. I think something happened to him physically and he doesnt sit well on a horse anymore. He still wins his share but he looks awful on a horse and he doesnt get the run he used to.
You're right about QH. He takes everything back. I think he's still psychologically reeling from his HORRIBLE ride on Kip Deville in the Colonial Turf Cup. I guess he's trying to make up for it by strangling everything else.
BTW, I had $750WP on him in that race at 28-1. UGH!!

Colonial Turf Cup day was not a good day for early speed types on the turf. I never watched the race but it looks like hoss ran off with the jock opening up to an 8 length lead at the first call. The 1/2 and 3/4 time was toooooooo fast going that distance. I think Kip was trying that distance for the first time and it turned out in his career that he was a solid 1 mile horse. There's no doubt the fractions did him in and you must have said during the race what the hell is this kid doing. The jock was replace after that race for the Virginia Derby (Bejarano) and the distance was 10F. Kip had the the lead all the way once again but this time the fractions were 48 change and 112 change and you would think he should have enough energy to finish but he weakened in mid stretch and failed to hit the board.

Joe

BombsAway Bob
01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
That was brutality. You couldn't find that type of abuse with $5000 and a Dominatrix. We have all been there but this one is about as bad as it gets. You have all the factors that make a bad beat, tangled break, jockey error and under the wire theatrics. This may be the "perfect bad beat"

By the way I discovered Sam Houston this year. After never making a wager there in my life Houston has become my preferred out of town track. The controlling factor that initiated the love affair are those pick 3s with the 12% takeout. The boycott crowd should be playing this place exclusively.
Seems most people that try Sam seem to like it. We should have a one-shot "Pace Advantage Pick-3 Night" @SamHouston!
Mountaineer is off 'til the 19th..if everyone on PA were to handicap the card on Thur.Jan.17th or Fri.Jan.18th, maybe combined we could bump the P-3 pools a tad! ;) Heaven knows my $60 a night won't do it alone!Rolling Pick-3's starts on Race 2 every night.

toetoe
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
TEJAS,

Hang in there with those 12%-takeout pick-threes. :ThmbUp:

TEJAS KIDD
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Colonial Turf Cup day was not a good day for early speed types on the turf. I never watched the race but it looks like hoss ran off with the jock opening up to an 8 length lead at the first call. The 1/2 and 3/4 time was toooooooo fast going that distance. I think Kip was trying that distance for the first time and it turned out in his career that he was a solid 1 mile horse. There's no doubt the fractions did him in and you must have said during the race what the hell is this kid doing. The jock was replace after that race for the Virginia Derby (Bejarano) and the distance was 10F. Kip had the the lead all the way once again but this time the fractions were 48 change and 112 change and you would think he should have enough energy to finish but he weakened in mid stretch and failed to hit the board.

Joe

I know exactly what happened to him that day. QH, being the inexperienced rider he was, was probably riding in the biggest race of his career that day. He was breaking from a far outside post. When the gates opened, he thought he needed to send to get over to the rail and not end up parked out very wide. What he didnt realize is that going 10 furlongs and having that 3/8s run to the turn, he would have just fallen into the lead without any urging. Instead, he panicked and pushed the button as soon as he left the gate and by the time he got into the 1st turn it was too late, KIP was gone. Of course, we all know now that KIP would have stopped regardless of the pace. I fired back on him in the Virginia Derby, he rated nicely for Bejarano and still stopped the final 1/4 of mile. It's funny how I realized he was a miler about 6 months before his connections did.

whyhorseofcourse
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I just watched the replay.
I bet you were pretty confident coming down the stretch.
That does suck big time though.

TEJAS KIDD
01-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I just watched the replay.
I bet you were pretty confident coming down the stretch.
That does suck big time though.

Actually, the way things have been going for me, I never felt like a winner. I was suprised she even held in there that long. I've never really seen a horse make that kind of run and be able to sustain it to the wire (well almost the wire)
I knew she was best going in to the race, but I didnt realize how much better. She did the exact same thing in her 1st start but was beaten 12 lengths. I bet her with the notion that she would break with the field and just cruise to an easy lead. When the gate opened, I knew she'd have no chance to win, but as the race progressed and she just kept running at them, I though MAYBE she could get there.

If any one is interested, here are a couple of BAD BEATS I had last year.

The first one.
I was in position to win the HORSEPLAYER WORLD SERIES on it's final day. I moved up into the top 5 or so and I had 6 plays left. After an 0 for 5 run, I decided to take a shot to put the field away. I played my last bullet on a horse by the name of PRONZINI at 59-1. He was the #2 horse in the 8th race at GG on Jan 20th,07

The second one
I had been clocking the whole meet at DMR and I caught a NICK HINES runner blowing out down the lane. He looked awesome. On Mon Sept 3rd, the horse was in the 6th race. He didnt have very good form, but his workout was spectacular, so I decided to take a shot. The odds were certainly going to be right.
I pretty much singled him in the DD's, the rolling Pick 3's, and in a $1700 pick 6 (bad move- 1700 x 33-1 odds, is worth 56000 alone, I would have needed to hit another 5 winners to cash for 4x that amount)
Anyway. I started the double/pick 3 and pick 6 with a double digit winner.
I was alive ending in the double for $12000 to INDIAN WEAVER. Also I was alive on a $10 Pick 3 in the middle leg (which I wouldve ended up hitting). I also started Pick 3's with him (which I wouldve ended up hitting) and I ended up making 4 out of 6 (4 times), on a day that 5 out of 6 paid $50,000+

Those are the two scenarios.
I figured they were $350,000 (HPWorldseries) and about $200,000 or more on the DMR race.
It's up to you if you have the stomach to watch the replays.

1/20/07 GG race 8 #2
9/3/07 DMR Race 6 #10 ( you really have to listen to the racecall )

Zaf
01-07-2008, 07:37 PM
WOW,

Those two are killers, both looked home, both race callers thought they were home. The tide will turn in 2008 & you will be on the good side of a few finishes like that. :jump:

Z

Jeff P
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
TEXAS KIDD, hang in there man. Keep making the GOOD bets... Because doing that has a funny way of making things work out in your favor.

-jp

whyhorseofcourse
01-07-2008, 10:51 PM
The del mar one must have made you sick!

thespaah
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Race 3- BAMA SLEW
Race 6- IMACOUNTRYBOYTOO

Sam Houston to Beulah?!!! Isn't that going from worse to awful?

TEJAS KIDD
01-08-2008, 10:30 AM
The del mar one must have made you sick!

Actually the GG one was worse, because I knew what was on the line at the time. I knew that if that horse won, I was going to win the tournament. I ended up finishing 8th without the horse winning. Had he won,my bankroll would have been about $400 more than the eventual winners'. First prize was $357,000. 8th was $14000

I had no idea how much that DMR race would eventually cost me. I was only ending for about 11k in the rolling DD. I still made a substantial score in the race anyway (actually probably made more in the race with him getting beat) The GG race, I made NOTHING.

Fastracehorse
01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I think one of the great aspects of this game is that it teaches us to deal with it - or we implode.

Bad things happen to good people everyday - there is comfort in this.

Empathetically,

fffastt

whyhorseofcourse
01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
I didnt get a chance to watch the GG one.
Speaking of bad beats.
Watch the replay of Beulah race 7 today.
If the 4/6/9 won the race, I would have hit the pick 6.
What a freaking crooked race. With the speed of the 1/4 I thought I had the race in the bag!

edit: fastracehorse is right, stuff like this makes horse racing all the more fun when it does work out.

Jeff P
01-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Had a bad beat (self inflicted) of my own at TUP yesterday. In R4 I really liked the #2 horse EX NAVY. After getting scratches I spent a few minutes with ticket structure and then hit the submit button... that was right after R2 had run. Multitasking, I then pulled up an algorithm I've been working on and spent the next half hour or so with my head buried in that. As post time neared I toggled back to track video just in time to watch them load for R4. My horse wasn't in front of the gate and as the race went off I realized that EX NAVY had been scratched.

One problem though...

EX NAVY horse was part of an entry. You guessed it. The other half of the entry 2B Jump Bail - who IMHO had absolutely no chance - hadn't scratched. My tickets were still live and riding on that horse. grrrrrrrrrr :bang:

I watched helplessly as Jump Bail lost contact with the field going into the far turn sending my botched bet down the drain.

Handicapping 101... If you are betting part of an entry make sure the part of the entry you want is actually running.

-jp

TEJAS KIDD
01-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Had a bad beat (self inflicted) of my own at TUP yesterday. In R4 I really liked the #2 horse EX NAVY. After getting scratches I spent a few minutes with ticket structure and then hit the submit button... that was right after R2 had run. Multitasking, I then pulled up an algorithm I've been working on and spent the next half hour or so with my head buried in that. As post time neared I toggled back to track video just in time to watch them load for R4. My horse wasn't in front of the gate and as the race went off I realized that EX NAVY had been scratched.

One problem though...

EX NAVY horse was part of an entry. You guessed it. The other half of the entry 2B Jump Bail - who IMHO had absolutely no chance - hadn't scratched. My tickets were still live and riding on that horse. grrrrrrrrrr :bang:

I watched helplessly as Jump Bail lost contact with the field going into the far turn sending my botched bet down the drain.

Handicapping 101... If you are betting part of an entry make sure the part of the entry you want is actually running.

-jp

Why can't every state adopt the entry rule when one part on an entry gets scratched the other is scratched for wagering purposes only.

How would we like it if we were voting for president, and then mid way through the election the Pres candidate drops out and all of our votes go to his running mate VP.
Or if we were voting for Pres and then the one we voted for dropped out of the race and all of our votes went to the candidate that was leading in the polls. (PICK 3, 4 and Pick 6 rules LATE SCRATCH=FAVORITE)

Dan Montilion
01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
TEJAS KIDD

You'll get out on the mules!!

TEJAS KIDD
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
TEJAS KIDD

You'll get out on the mules!!

The way things have been going, I'm not sure I can pick my Ass.

I'm looking forward to the tournaments later this month.

Donnie
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
...you know it all comes around, Dennis.

Good luck later this month! Wish I could make it out, but the wife has no vacation on her new job and I am too friggin' busy to get away. You're gonna be one busy boy that weekend!

TEJAS KIDD
01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
...you know it all comes around, Dennis.

Good luck later this month! Wish I could make it out, but the wife has no vacation on her new job and I am too friggin' busy to get away. You're gonna be one busy boy that weekend!

Thanks Donnie
I'm going out a few days early. Every year I've gone out the night before trying to get my work done at home prior to leaving. This year Im going to do the work out there. I've yet to get a check at the NHC. 0 for 5 going into this year. Too much in common with the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings and Susan Lucci ( of course, she finally got her award). Hopefully I won't have to wait as long.

ranchwest
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Why can't every state adopt the entry rule when one part on an entry gets scratched the other is scratched for wagering purposes only.

How would we like it if we were voting for president, and then mid way through the election the Pres candidate drops out and all of our votes go to his running mate VP.
Or if we were voting for Pres and then the one we voted for dropped out of the race and all of our votes went to the candidate that was leading in the polls. (PICK 3, 4 and Pick 6 rules LATE SCRATCH=FAVORITE)

Unfortunately, that isn't a good analogy. We elect electors to the electoral college in presidential balloting. The electors can vote for anyone they want (I think some states bind them on the first ballot). So, if a candidate were to die, the electors could select someone else.

Yikes, I digress. Sorry.

TEJAS KIDD
01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, that isn't a good analogy. We elect electors to the electoral college in presidential balloting. The electors can vote for anyone they want (I think some states bind them on the first ballot). So, if a candidate were to die, the electors could select someone else.

Yikes, I digress. Sorry.

I was talking about the Student Body President at my daughter's highschool
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific:D

rokitman
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Or if we were voting for Pres and then the one we voted for dropped out of the race and all of our votes went to the candidate that was leading in the polls. (PICK 3, 4 and Pick 6 rules LATE SCRATCH=FAVORITE)If one scratches after money has been bet on them as an entry, both should have to scratch. I don't want a horse in the race that can't be bet on. A horse in the race, for example, that can jump my speed horse for the lead and kill off my chances to win but I can bet on that horse? Very wrong.

Jeff P
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
If one scratches after money has been bet on them as an entry, both should have to scratch. I don't want a horse in the race that can't be bet on. A horse in the race, for example, that can jump my speed horse for the lead and kill off my chances to win but I can bet on that horse? Very wrong.Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I was betting a race run in AZ... their rules regarding late scratches of entry halves are very different than NYRA. In AZ you are stuck with the other half of the entry... unless you make the effort to go up to a teller and cancel... if you play online you are stuck... and "stuck" in this case was a very apt description of what happened.

-jp

Jeff P
01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
They say bad things come in threes. Today I had bad beat #2 for this month....

HAW R7 I had the #4 horse MALAPAI in front inside the 1/8th pole at 21-1. If she wins I have a very nice pick-3 many times. If either the 5 or the 6 finish in front of her I have a very nice exacta many times. She's in front along the rail inside the 1/8th pole... Houghton is giving her the stick left handed... the 5 is catching her but that doesn't matter to me... a 5-4 exacta the way that I've bet this pays MORE than enough to make for a VERY NICE day... hell, my first car cost less money than what I'm about to collect... Houghton then switches hands... and gives her the stick right handed... as soon as he does she veers left and hits the rail... the impact takes place right before the wire... and slows her just enough to cause her to finish third. :bang: :bang:

Watch the head on replay... it's literally amazing how these things happen sometimes. Like I say that's #2 for this month. One more to go and I figure I'm home free for a while. <G>

-jp

TEJAS KIDD
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM

HAW R7 I had the #4 horse MALAPAI in front inside the 1/8th pole at 21-1. If she wins I have a very nice pick-3 many times. If either the 5 or the 6 finish in front of her I have a very nice exacta many times. She's in front along the rail inside the 1/8th pole... Houghton is giving her the stick left handed... the 5 is catching her but that doesn't matter to me... a 5-4 exacta the way that I've bet this pays MORE than enough to make for a VERY NICE day... hell, my first car cost less money than what I'm about to collect... Houghton then switches hands... and gives her the stick right handed... as soon as he does she veers left and hits the rail... the impact takes place right before the wire... and slows her just enough to cause her to finish third. :bang: :bang:

Watch the head on replay... it's literally amazing how these things happen sometimes. Like I say that's #2 for this month. One more to go and I figure I'm home free for a while. <G>

-jp

OUCH!!

cnollfan
01-09-2008, 10:54 PM
If one scratches after money has been bet on them as an entry, both should have to scratch. I don't want a horse in the race that can't be bet on. A horse in the race, for example, that can jump my speed horse for the lead and kill off my chances to win but I can bet on that horse? Very wrong.

Agree -- or at least it should be clear, looking at the TV screen, what is going on and exactly who is running. Race at Belmont a couple years ago -- there is an entry 1 and 1A, one of which has a lot of speed. I walk into simulcast place not planning on playing the race, but look at the Belmont screen and see blanks by the odds for 1 and 1A, so I assume they are scratched, leaving only one other speed horse in the race at a monster price, so I unload on that one. They put the horses in the gate, and lo and behold, # 1 is led into the first stall! WTF? He was running for purse money only. Needless to say he flies out of the gate like Dr. Fager. I lose. I wrote e-mail to NYRA suggesting that they put "PMO" on the odds graphics for horses that are in the race but not eligible for betting. They never responded. I still think it's a good idea.

JustRalph
01-09-2008, 10:56 PM

-jp

Wow, that was tough........... looked to me like she tried to jump something...........I feel for you

Jeff P
01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Watching the pan shot as the race was run live I thought she had jumped a shadow. The stewards called an inquiry and as soon as they showed the head on view it became clear what happened... when Houghton gave her right handed stick she struck the rail. I've seen a lot of horses respond when the rider switches hands. I really can't blame the rider... he gave his all out there. And as a player that's really about all I can ask. I like riders with the talent to change hands... a lot of them aren't capable of that. It's just one of those freak things... she was already so close to the rail that there just wasn't any more room.

-jp

Pell Mell
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Since the advent of replays on the net and spending a lot of time watching them I've found that the number of bad rides is astounding. I've been going to the track for 60 yrs and never realized how many jocks are scared, dumb, or just don't belong on a horse. Most players only notice the bad rides when it happens to the horse they bet but most every time you get the winner someone else gets the shaft.

As for bad breaks, I have been in the worst slump of my life for several months. I have gotten so many bad rides that I'm afraid to bet unless I have the leading jock up. To top it all, my bad streak continued this week when I went up north to pick up a truck I had bought. It was a nice trip back for about 500 miles when a front hub locked at 75 MPH on I-81 and I almost flipped and ended up with my wife, who was following me, crashed into me and wrecked her car. It wasn't her fault as the truck was spinning around and I couldn't steer it. Luckily nobody was hurt. I think I'll spend some time talking to my dogs:mad:

jeebus1083
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
This was news on my message board last Sunday. That was what my buddy "Samyn on the Green" called in "a perfect bad beat".

TEJAS KIDD
01-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Since the advent of replays on the net and spending a lot of time watching them I've found that the number of bad rides is astounding. I've been going to the track for 60 yrs and never realized how many jocks are scared, dumb, or just don't belong on a horse. Most players only notice the bad rides when it happens to the horse they bet but most every time you get the winner someone else gets the shaft.

As for bad breaks, I have been in the worst slump of my life for several months. I have gotten so many bad rides that I'm afraid to bet unless I have the leading jock up. To top it all, my bad streak continued this week when I went up north to pick up a truck I had bought. It was a nice trip back for about 500 miles when a front hub locked at 75 MPH on I-81 and I almost flipped and ended up with my wife, who was following me, crashed into me and wrecked her car. It wasn't her fault as the truck was spinning around and I couldn't steer it. Luckily nobody was hurt. I think I'll spend some time talking to my dogs:mad:

Wow, Sorry to hear that, glad you and the Mrs. are ok.