PDA

View Full Version : SAX might cancel racing this weekend !!!

SRK
01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
SAX might cancel this weekend ??
Just read this at the LA Times website.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/horse...orts-horse_raci (http://www.latimes.com/sports/horseracing/la-sp-horse3jan03,1,3864617.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-horse_raci)
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

BillW
01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Please, single post is enough.

Tom
01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

This game is gettting so pathetic you have to laugh at it.

Ron
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
So they paid $1 million to dump finer sand in there, and that didn't fix the drainage problem?

46zilzal
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I thought these things were touted as ALL WEATHER and they can't hold up to a little S. California rain? pitiful.

kenwoodallpromos
01-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Magna tried to use smaller materials that would speed up the track, then tried a cheap fix that did not work. Between the original materials and that added twice, they still have materials (too small sand) that was not in the original specifications.
I hope those that love to bash tracks because they have some rubber or carpet fiber in them will take this into consideration.
Well, too late for that already!
"Bloodhorse

Dec 26- "Upon completion of the Oak Tree meeting Nov. 4, Santa Anita officials discovered that the new surface was not draining properly because ****fine sand and wax were clogging the asphalt base. The renovation project, which began Dec. 5 and was delayed due to rain and because it took longer than expected, involved removing the material down to the base, cleaning the asphalt, and then**** mixing in coarser sand and more synthetic materials." (not replacing with the proper materials)
Jan 3- "Ron Charles, president of Santa Anita for Magna Entertainment Corp., said in a phone interview that while drainage has improved in part, "it is nowhere near" the level it needs to be. He said that ****the additional silt that Cushion Track used in the sand and wax mixture (not replacing)-- and makes it different from the engineered surface at Hollywood Park -- prevents water from draining through properly.

Weather forecasters are predicting four to five inches of rain from a series of storms moving through the region late on Jan. 3 and continuing through Jan. 6. Charles said Santa Anita will ****seal its main track prior to racing each day "and hope the water doesn't penetrate down" where it will cause the sand and silt in the lower layers to clog." (That will solve the problem of the first 11 6f races being won by "s" type runners!)

Tom
01-04-2008, 07:26 AM
How do you seal a plastic track?
One of those vacuum food sealers? :lol:

Spendabuck85
01-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Any Metamucil users in this forum better head out to the store before there's a shortage.

According to an article in DRF:
"We added stabilizer, which is a derivative of Metamucil," Tedesco said. "It will grab 30 times its weight in water. We're trying to get the track stabilized because of this drainage problem. We want to grab the water before it gets to the bottom and we lose this track."

Turfday
01-04-2008, 11:06 AM
That the deluge of rain expected would likely shutdown racing until the track became safe again.

Here's the Accuweather forecast. It doesn't look good, especially for Saturday:

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=91006&metric=0

Norm
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
If you have shares of the manufacturer's stock, you may want to re-consider your position and bet it on a good class horse instead :) . If the manufacturer cant solve the problem by the end of the meet, they will rip up the track and start over. Here's an excerpt from an AP article :

***Paul Harper, technical director of Cushion Track Footings, said the problem is one his company had not encountered before, explaining that the focus on enabling the track to withstand high temperatures has probably compromised the drainage.
"After extensive testing, which is still going on even now, the experiments indicate that the sand seems to be the area of concern," Harper said in a news release issued by Cushion Track. "Over the past few weeks and following extensive efforts, the drainage has improved."
It's unknown whether the drainage has improved enough to allow racing to go on as scheduled. Harper said if a remedy isn't found, Cushion Track will install a new surface after the Santa Anita's winter-spring meet, scheduled to end April 20.***

Here's a link to the full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-santaanita-drainageproblem&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dan Montilion
01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
It will be interesting to see how GGF's tapeta holds up today. The Frisco bay is getting pounded with rain.

Tom
01-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Perhpas they should have done a little more investigations into how poly tracks will perform in heat, cold, wet weather - yadda yadda yadda - before they proclaimed it the Holy Grail of surfaces and mandated it everywhere.
:lol::lol::lol:

NoCal Boy
01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
The Bay area is being pounded right now. GG might have to cancel because of high winds even if the Tapeta track holds up with the rain. This will be a big test for the Tapeta track. I have not seen rain like this for quite some time around the Bay area.

Santa Anita...I feel bad for Magna. Nothing seems to work for them. They have been proactive on the surface issues and now they might get bit on the ass. Ron Charles does a nice job in that wacky organization and deserves better. Let's hope the track holds up at SA.

Richie
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
"feel bad for magna"

You got to be kidding, I'm wishing them nothing but bad luck, the quicker they get out of racing the better off we will all be. I'll never forgive them for what they did to GP.

skate
01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
thanks SRK, and just in time.

most likely, not only the rain, but the wind.

nothing worse than "cancel at the last min."

kenwoodallpromos
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
If you have shares of the manufacturer's stock, you may want to re-consider your position and bet it on a good class horse instead :) . If the manufacturer cant solve the problem by the end of the meet, they will rip up the track and start over. Here's an excerpt from an AP article :

***Paul Harper, technical director of Cushion Track Footings, said the problem is one his company had not encountered before, explaining that the focus on enabling the track to withstand high temperatures has probably compromised the drainage.
"After extensive testing, which is still going on even now, the experiments indicate that the sand seems to be the area of concern," Harper said in a news release issued by Cushion Track. "Over the past few weeks and following extensive efforts, the drainage has improved."
It's unknown whether the drainage has improved enough to allow racing to go on as scheduled. Harper said if a remedy isn't found, Cushion Track will install a new surface after the Santa Anita's winter-spring meet, scheduled to end April 20.***

Here's a link to the full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-santaanita-drainageproblem&prov=ap&type=lgns

"if a remedy isn't found, Cushion Track will install a new surface" THAT IS RIGHT! Magna may have to start over and DO IT RIght this time!
GGF- Yes freak heavy rain- great campared to all the years they sealed the track without a drop of rain!

Turfday
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Let's say Santa Anita loses 5-10 days of racing because of this Cushion Track fiasco. Okay.

I read where the Cushion Track company has offered to replace the surface after the meet. Fine.

But does Santa Anita have grounds for suing Cushion Track for lost business? I'm just throwing this out. I have no clue if there was something in the initial contract about this matter.

Norm
01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Let's say Santa Anita loses 5-10 days of racing because of this Cushion Track fiasco. Okay.

I read where the Cushion Track company has offered to replace the surface after the meet. Fine.

But does Santa Anita have grounds for suing Cushion Track for lost business? I'm just throwing this out. I have no clue if there was something in the initial contract about this matter.

Of course, one must see the actual contract to know with certainty but, after writing major construction contracts for many years, I would dare speculate that there are "loss of use" and "liquidated damages" clauses in the contract that would put the manufacturer in a very difficult situation if they don't find a solution ASAP.

kenwoodallpromos
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Loss of business-
Brisnet charts today 1st 5 races show: all runners finished; the 4 sprint mutuel pools were $250k+; 4 sprints were 44 3/5 or faster to the 1/2; all races were won by E or P types; 4 were won by low-odds horses; only 1 was a short field; weather was SHOWERY.
I know it is not the weekend yet, but so far SA owes money!

Spendabuck85
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Sant Anita is cancelled for today per DRF

By JAY PRIVMAN - Posted 11:42 am

Santa Anita announced at 8 a.m. Pacific time on Saturday morning that it was canceling its race card for today, citing an unsafe track following heavy rain Friday night.

kenwoodallpromos
01-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Sant Anita is cancelled for today per DRF

By JAY PRIVMAN - Posted 11:42 am

Santa Anita announced at 8 a.m. Pacific time on Saturday morning that it was canceling its race card for today, citing an unsafe track following heavy rain Friday night.
I guess they forgot to put the tarp over it last night!LOL!! Time to study the NFL wildcard games!
I will ASSUME they would have cancelled if the track was REAL dirt too!

rrbauer
01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
The CHRB had strategy-planning sessions to consider, among other things, what would happen if there was no longer racing at Hollywood Park. Considering Magna's financial mess and its Cushion Track mess at Santa Anita they should've been considering what would happen if Santa Anita shuts down!

Indulto
01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
The CHRB had strategy-planning sessions to consider, among other things, what would happen if there was no longer racing at Hollywood Park. Considering Magna's financial mess and its Cushion Track mess at Santa Anita they should've been considering what would happen if Santa Anita shuts down!Assuming the CHRB isn't shutdown first. ;)

Has there been any analysis of handle allocated between (T) and <A> currently vs (T) and Dirt previously?