PDA

View Full Version : Question about win/exacta bet design

douglasw32
12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I posted the odds line I worked up for this race (I have been toying with doing this by hand, with good results)

I have been betting Win/Place but noticed that a lot of my top 3 form exactas, and on occasion the wager for win/place goes to the heavy favorite who runs 2nd and the place bet does not really make any sense at that point ?

So I was thinking Bet Win on my top horse regardless of odds (even if heavily favored) then box my top 3 as an exacta (insurance)

Might cash twice, might just get the win or might just get the exacta ?

So how do you structure it...

The lowest cost for an exacta box would be $6.00 for $1.00 box

so 1/2 the exacta pay off, if it is low maybe get the $8.00 back
if it wins to get the 8 back you need more on win etc ?

Obvious it can not be perfect every time but how much $$$ would you guys/gals place on the win compared to the exacta etc or wouldn't you and why?

Here is the line for the race I plan to play today.... (Also in the selections forum)

1-1/8 Miles (Turf)
THE SAN GABRIEL HANDICAP. Grade II.
-------------------------------
1. Daytona (Ire) 6-1
2. Lang Field 4-1
3. Proudinsky (Ger) 7/2
4. Sensational Humor 8-1
5. Medici Code (GB) 5/2
6. Storm Military (Arg) 3-1

=========================

????

Cangamble
12-30-2007, 01:23 PM
The more combinations you bet the more you are playing into the track takeout. In a perfect world, we could track all our bets for different types of bets. Premier Turf Club allows this btw. Over a large period of time, you could see where your best returns are. That should be your focus when it comes to the bulk of your betting.
But you really need to see what gives you the best return in the long run. I don't think many players (including me) take this advise seriously enough.

You can also break it down with respect to odds when it comes to win and place.
Inevitably it will be either win or place that gives you the best return. And if both are losing propositions, I wouldn't even bother with those type of bets unless you can prove that you can make money at certain odds levels.

betovernetcapper
12-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't have any chiseled in stone policy except to examine the pools and make my decisions based on my options. Sometimes the exacta is best and sometimes the win. Sometimes the best bet is A-B, A-C in exactas and A-D in a quinella. There are even times when just betting to place seem to be the best option.

douglasw32
12-30-2007, 03:12 PM
From what I am reading across the Web and comments here... Looks like I may get a steal with "MY" favorite.

Probably will just lay a Win/Place on medici code

betovernetcapper
12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
It's about 2 min to post and an $18 exacta dutch would net between $76 & $87 and $20 to win would net $74. On the #5

douglasw32
12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Ouch- seriously underestimated the winner, I guess thats why they call them favorites :)