PDA

View Full Version : Some one help me regarding Quirin Spd Pts

timtam
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
I am using a method by Steve Wolsen and it requires figuring out

Quirin Speed Points and since I'm new at it I've been doing them by myself

and then comparing the numbers with Brisnet Past Perfomances but for the

love of me I can't figure out where they are getting 8 points for

Bazooka Bob the number 9 horse in the first race at Aqueduct.

These numbers are the meat of the method and I need some assistance

in figuring out these numbers because every now and then a horse like this

comes up where I give it a 0 and the number is an 8. Any Help PLease :confused:

NormanTD
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I posted this elsewhere in respose to a question regarding pace numbers and while my answer is correct in regards to Q speed points, it was not answer to the question asked. But I think it's what you're looking for.

Quirin speed points are always regarding the first call point of a race

We use the last 3 races unless one of those was run at a a route, in which case we adhere to the rules below concerning a route in today’s sprint race.
Each horse in a race will be credited with a certain number of "speed points" for each of 3 recent races.

We start with the most recent race and work backward, never going back farther than 5 races in the horse’s record, to find 3 "ratable" races.

The horse’s speed point total for these 3 races will represent a consensus of its recent ability to flash early speed in today's sprint.

Each horse in the race starts with 1 speed point credited to its account.

Sprints – up to 7 1/2 furlongs: speed points:

1 point for any sprint in which the horse was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at the first call, and/or (with an exception for 7F and 7 1/2F races)

1 point for any sprint in which the horse led or was within 2 lengths of the lead at the first call

0 points for any other sprint performance

0 points for any route, unless the horse was within 1 length of the lead at the first call, in which case the race is passed over and not counted in the rated races, meaning we must go back to the prior qualifying race; the horse receives a bye for that race
(At 7 and 7 1/2 furlongs, a horse is eligible for 2 points – see 2nd bullet - only if he led at the first call)

So a horse may receive from 0 to 2 speed points for each of 3 races.

For a sprint, only past sprints can contribute to the total – all route efforts receive either 0 points or a bye.

For past races at 7 or 7 1/2 furlongs, a horse is eligible for 2 points only if it led at the first call.

If the horse had been 2nd or 3rd, or within 2 lengths (or both) at the first call, it receives only 1 point.

Award 1 bonus point to horses that led or raced within a neck of the lead at the first call of all 3 rated races, for a maximum total of 8.

Any horse that receives only 1 speed point that was in the rear half of its field at the first call in each of its rated sprints must be penalized 1 point, giving it a new total of 0 points.

Likewise for the horse with 1 speed point whose last 5 races were all routes, with none of the last 3 resulting in a bye.

If the horse has been in the rear half of the field in the rated races, deduct the initial point for a 0 rating.

Here is how to interpret these numbers.

8 points: Demonstrated desire/ability to be on the lead or 2nd or 3rd but within a neck of the lead at the first call.

7 points: Demonstrated desire/ability to be on the lead or 2nd or 3rd but within 2 lengths at the first call.

4, 5 & 6 points: Demonstrated desire/ability to stay in touch with the leaders at the first call. On occasion, will be among the first three horses at the first call, particularly in the absence of higher QSP rated horses in the race.

1, 2 & 3 points: Will generally be in the last half of the field at the first call.

0 points: Will be in the back of the field at the first call or has no qualifying races in its past performance lines.

Plus, the BRIS and TSN data files provide a similar number although I don't think it is based on the exact formula as above. I've tried to calculate QSP's in the past via the above formula and always come back to just using the numbers provided in the BRIS and TSN data files.

cj
12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Bazooka Bob is easy. All horses start with 1 point. He gets two points for each of his last three races. 1 for being 1, 2, or 3 at the 1st call and 1 for being within two lengths of the lead.

He then gets the "bonus" point per the following rule:

"Award 1 bonus point to horses that led or raced within a neck of the lead at the first call of all 3 rated races."

1+2+2+2+1=8.

timtam
12-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry guys I put in the wrong horse in question. Aqu race 2

It was the 3 horse So Glitzy who was 8 by 11, 7 by 3, and 4 by 2

and the brisnet number was 8. I'm sorry for my mistake !! :blush:

cj
12-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm at work and don't have the PPs in front of me anymore. However, I do know BRIS tends to make mistakes with both running style and QSPs.

Overlay
12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry guys I put in the wrong horse in question. Aqu race 2

It was the 3 horse So Glitzy who was 8 by 11, 7 by 3, and 4 by 2

and the brisnet number was 8. I'm sorry for my mistake !! :blush:

I don't have the PP's in front of me, either, but if you say the horse has zero speed points with the first-call running positions you indicated, its three ratable races must all have been route races, and it would have to be dropping back to a sprint today. Otherwise, it would receive at least one additional speed point (aside from its "automatic" point) for trailing the leader by only two lengths at the first call in the third ratable race you gave above. (It could also receive a second additional speed point for the second ratable race you listed (making three speed points total) as a result of trailing the leader by only three lengths in that race, as long as today's race is a route race.)

Overlay
12-30-2007, 02:31 PM
I should have added that, in order to get eight points, the horse would have had to have been leading, or else trailing the leader by no more than three lengths at the very most (depending on distance switches), in each of its three ratable races, which this horse clearly was not. I'm not sure where Brisnet is coming from on that one.

rcknhrse
12-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Until you get the hang of it go to this web page ,they do the work for you coveringall major KY,NY,CAL and FLA tracks

http://simulcapper.com/

rcknhrse
12-30-2007, 02:53 PM
One more thing about the QS.I feel that the rules are too strict and often overlook some horses.Take the 1st at aqu.#7 received 0 speed points yet went wire to wire.When i do my own i look at all 5 most recent races and take the 3 best of those 5 .With my adjustments #7 received a QS of 6 putting him right in the mix of early runners.An agrssive ride by C Cedano got that 47-1 first out of the gate and home for the big upset

Tom
12-30-2007, 02:53 PM
That horse should get 2 speed points. The One starting point and one for being within 2 lengths in the third back. BRIS is NOTORIUS for screwing up. NEVER just believe BRIS.

Tom
12-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Until you get the hang of it go to this web page ,they do the work for you coveringall major KY,NY,CAL and FLA tracks

http://simulcapper.com/

Looks like they copy BRIS - they have it as having 8 QSP as well.
Hmmmm - Simulcapper and BRIS give it 8, CJ givers it 5, I give it 2.......guess this guy is a "versitle runner!" :rolleyes::lol:

rcknhrse
12-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I dont have the PP'S for that race so i cant review where Bris and Simul get it wrong.Just 1 more reason to always do your own work.