PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2002 macro doesn't work with new Excel

098poi
12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I sent someone a spreadsheet I made with Excel 2002 and they have Vista on their machine and newer version of Excel (I am not sure which version) and the macro I wrote won't open on his end. Any suggestions. If he e-mailed me a spreadsheet and I copied the macro from the edit page could I recreate it on his? Can he enable something to see older versions? Thanks in advance.

douglasw32
12-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I would be that person ;) and it is version 2007
I do not think it is so much a vista thing as it is a non backward compliant type issue ?

dutchboy
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Have you tried this: I don't use the 2007 version but it has worked for me on other versions.

Click File
Click, save as type, at the botton of the screen
Click, select excel version,

Assume it needs to be done by the 2007 version user.

I sent someone a spreadsheet I made with Excel 2002 and they have Vista on their machine and newer version of Excel (I am not sure which version) and the macro I wrote won't open on his end. Any suggestions. If he e-mailed me a spreadsheet and I copied the macro from the edit page could I recreate it on his? Can he enable something to see older versions? Thanks in advance.

098poi
12-29-2007, 08:22 PM
EXCEL ent idea! Thanks

cj
12-29-2007, 08:26 PM
It will work, you just have to enable the security settings so macros are allowed to run. I don't have the new Office at work or I'd tell you how to do it exactly.

douglasw32
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
CJ-That is what I thought but when I set the sheet security to allow macros it never does, it just acts like it did nothing, and then...does nothing.

Never happened in older versions
?

098poi
12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Have you tried resaving the file as suggested? If you go to tools/macro/macros does it show one (Macro1)?

Tim
12-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I doubt that it's a version issue, more likly a security setting. Look in the trust center. When Excel is open try clicking the 'Office Button' then 'Excel Options' then 'Trust Center' then 'Trust Center Options'.

Make sure you click the "Show the Message Bar in all applications when content has been blocked" button in the Message Bar Settings. It will make things easier.

You can do a search for "trust center" in excel help. Lots of stuff in there.

asH
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM
security settings macros automatically disabled to run in 2007:

click office button on top left Excel, then Excel Options (bottom right),Trust Center (right side), Trust center Settings (left side), Macros - under Macro Settings- ck the Disable all Macros with Notification (window will notify you before open), under Developer Macro Setting - ck the Trust Access to The VBA Project Object model...if you write your own UDF's (user Defined Functions)... Under Message Bar (right side) choose Show Mesage Bar in all aplications when Content has been blocked (this will let you know why your udf's or macros are not working due to settings...if you convert files to comma delimited then import to excel - Click External Content (right side) Under Security settings for Data Connections , click Prompt user about Data Connections (redundant info, but helpful), under Security forWorkbook links, choose Prompt user on automatic updates (extremely helpful, remembering the comma delimiting settings when using more than one track) ... OK close then reopen the problem spreadsheet...

asH

douglasw32
01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
NICE ! That Worked