PDA

View Full Version : Virus

LOU M.
01-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Beware KLEZ is back. Luckily, Norton caught it.I always return to sender without opening it . Seems to keep it away for a while.

Dave Schwartz
01-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Lou,

With KLEZ the "sender" is not really the sender. In other words, if I get a virus-loaded email that says it is from you the one person it is not from is you.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

GameTheory
01-22-2003, 01:06 PM
That's true of most viruses -- don't send them back out! Just delete them...

thoroughbred
01-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Lou M

Just a point if interest. When Norton Anti-Virius is set up properly, it scans BOTH incoming and outgoing messages for viruses.

If you try to send the infected message back, (in your case to the pseudo "sender"), won't Norton find the virus and warn you not to send it out? Or do you disable Norton during your attempt to send the message back to the sender, thus exposing your computer, during that short time period, to a virus attack?

GameTheory
01-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Actually, in most cases it wouldn't send an attachment back unless you specifically "re-attached" it...

LOU M.
01-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Probably shouldn't be sending them back out. Norton let them go thru though.Is there anyway to stop this Ahole?Anyone else receive these?

GameTheory
01-22-2003, 07:32 PM
In most cases there isn't really an "ahole" involved, or at least the originator of the virus cannot be determined by looking at the email itself. It "pretends" to be from someone it really isn't. If your software hadn't blocked them, people would be getting viruses "from" you without your knowledge. So the way to stop them from spreading is just to keep your Norton updated and on at all times. Many ISPs block them now before they even get to you -- I get many messages from my server saying "This message HAD a virus and we blocked it".