PDA

View Full Version : TVG screwed themselves

horses721
12-28-2007, 09:55 AM
TVG basically told tracknet they can have the valuable New York signal if they gave back to TVG any profits they made for carrying NY racing. This was the start of the ADW mess.

Now that TVG no longer has an exclusive right with the NYRA, why should tracknet do TVG any favors and let them have the tracknet signals? If you check past bloodhorse articles, you will find that TVG refused to sit down and talk with tracknet while they had the valuable New York racing signal instead of trying to work out a deal that is best for both sides.

As I said several months ago, when TVG loses the exclusive rights to the New York signal, they will get it handed to them when they try to negotiate with tracknet for signals they have the exclusive rights to. TVG is just getting paid back for refusing to try and work something out when they held the rights to the most valuable signals out there, New York racing.

It seems everybody hates tracknet because they couldn't bet the Derby, well I couldn't bet New York, New Jersey and several other MAJOR tracks because of TVG exclusive contracts. TVG (a supporter of exclusive contracts which started this mess by the way)never tried to work out a deal to solve the problem but many on this board leave them blameless for this mess. I can only assume it is because you only lost access to CHurchill Downs and a few minor tracks.

Just ask yourself this, if your competitor refuses to sit down and try to work out a deal to exchange products, when the time comes for them to come to you to work out a deal because they no longer have the upper hand on you, would you give them any breaks? I'm sure you wouldn't. TVG blew it because they knew their most valuable chip in the deal (exclusive rights to New York racing)was expiring by the end of the year. Instead of preparing for it properlyby trying to deal fairly, they made enemies with a competitor who will now have the upper ahand and most certainly use their power to hurt them. TVG IS GOING TO GET WHAT IT DESERVES. Unless someone can explain to me how the exclusive contracts demanded by TVG in the past is good for the betting public, I will blame TVG for starting this mess and I will not have any sympathy if tracknet or any other group gives them the shaft in any dealings with them in the future.

cj
12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
They both share blame. Trying to figure out which has to shoulder more of the blame is not only an exercise in futility, but ultimately pointless.

phatbastard
12-28-2007, 11:56 AM
i think any track that turns it back on TVG is wrong.....who put these tracks on TV and @ quite the programming cost.....sent out crews to hype these said tracks on their biggest racing days, again bringing high production costs...

sure they benefitted by getting a share of the wagering, but exposure is what this sport needs and they sure gave their partners plenty of it

garyoz
12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Unless someone can explain to me how the exclusive contracts demanded by TVG in the past is good for the betting public, I will blame TVG for starting this mess and I will not have any sympathy if tracknet or any other group gives them the shaft in any dealings with them in the future.

The exclusive contracts and associated handle gave TVG the cash flow to provide high quality production. Sympathy for Magna and CDSN? Hardly...

I recall reading that TVG was cash flow positive--but who knows about their viability given the Gemstar acqusition and NYRA hoopla? Also TVG has clearance (being broadcast) on more cable networks and DirecTV (which like Gemstar used to be owned by News Corp.) than HRTV.

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Have no idea what NYRA's position will be in the coming months but one thing seems clear to me . If TVG is locked out of coverage from both New York and California ( Santa Anita ) , they're not going to be sitting well . Hope it doesn't come to this because personally , I enjoy TVG ...

Scav
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Have no idea what NYRA's position will be in the coming months but one thing seems clear to me . If TVG is locked out of coverage from both New York and California ( Santa Anita ) , they're not going to be sitting well . Hope it doesn't come to this because personally , I enjoy TVG ...

Word is that starting January 1st they will be on Twinspires.com, but I can not confirm that

Dave Schwartz
12-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Personally, I support TVG and wish them well.

Expansion of the sport depends upon drawing in new fans and TVG's approach is what the new fans want. It may not be what you and I want but it is what they want.

Therefore, it is good for racing and good for us.

Competition between companies is also good for us.

MikeDee
12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Sorry Dave but I have to disagree with you on this one.

Expansion of the sport depends upon drawing in new fans and TVG's approach is what the new fans want

Competition between companies is also good for us.

I would like to see any evidence that the TVG race selection, personalities, or their approach of touting a continuous string of 40 and 50 dollar pick 4 and pick 6 losing tickets has in fact, brought in any new fans, or is what new fans want to see.

Competition can be good, but not the exclusionary tactics used by TVG since their inception. That has prevented true and long term racing fans from watching and wagering.

Southieboy
12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
The New York Racing Association has entered into a content exchange agreement with TrackNet Media Group for 2008, NYRA officials said Dec. 28. In addition, NYRA has new deals with TVG and Youbet.com for the upcoming year.

The agreement also grants HRTV non-exclusive rights to televise races conducted at the three NYRA racetracks, according to a release issued by NYRA. TrackNet’s affiliated account wagering businesses, including TwinSpires.com and XpressBet.com, will be able to offer live video streaming of races from NYRA tracks. Both TVG and HRTV will broadcast NYRA races in 2008.

NYRA also announced Dec. 28 it reached an agreement with Youbet.com, another account wagering provider, that will allow Youbet.com to offer wagering on NYRA races and offer video in 2008. Youbet.com now takes wagers on the NYRA product as a sub-licensee of TVG, but in 2008 will be a direct customer of NYRA.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42911

FlyinLate
12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Word is that starting January 1st they will be on Twinspires.com, but I can not confirm that

I hope this is right. I'd love to get NY racing! I saw yesterday on front page of twinspires that we already got Meadowlands/Monmouth racing starting at the beginning of '08 :ThmbUp:

Southieboy
12-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I hope this is right. I'd love to get NY racing! I saw yesterday on front page of twinspires that we already got Meadowlands/Monmouth racing starting at the beginning of '08 :jump:

See http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=465165&postcount=9

whiteathame
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Aqueduct Now Available on TwinSpires

Friday, January 04 2:18 pm

You asked for NYRA racing and we've got it. TwinSpires.com's year-round coverage** of NYRA kicks off with inner track racing from Aqueduct. The addition of the three historic New York tracks fortifies TwinSpires.com's already-loaded lineup of racetracks. This winter you can wager on Aqueduct, Gulfstream, Santa Anita, Fair Grounds, Oaklawn - and that's just the start!

**As of 1/4/08, we are temporarily unable to provide live video for Aqueduct. We will be providing live video of Aqueduct shortly.

HOWEVER- The Twinspires free Video Library has the Aqueduct races that cannot be watched live.

"Half a loaf is better than none."

rrbauer
01-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Yesterday, Saturday Jan 5, TVG showed all of the Tampa Bay Downs races and most of them live (a couple delayed). And, they are now labeling TBD as a "premier" track. I happen to like TBD and go there frequently. TVG's putting the "premier" label on whatever lineup they have seems self-serving.

lamboguy
01-06-2008, 10:01 AM
take a look at the track handles yesterday and compare them to last year, gulfstream and aqueduct under $10 million and santa anita hardly over that number.

even though the analists at tvg give phony stupid picks, they do add a breath of fresh air to this sport. i watched them promote the breeders cup in monmouth and thought without them the day would have been a complete bust. they are flat out good for horseracing.

tvg goes everywhere, and does reguard the sport as top priority.

racing has alot more issues to contend with, why break tvg for trying to keep the sport alive?

garyoz
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Yesterday, Saturday Jan 5, TVG showed all of the Tampa Bay Downs races and most of them live (a couple delayed). And, they are now labeling TBD as a "premier" track. I happen to like TBD and go there frequently. TVG's putting the "premier" label on whatever lineup they have seems self-serving.

They weren't on HRTV yesterday so TBD may have cut an exclusive deal with TVG ala Turfway, Del Mar, etc. which would make them "premier.'