PDA

View Full Version : "Don't Swing At Pitches Out Of The Strike Zone!"

Teach
12-28-2007, 07:48 AM
“Don’t swing at pitches out of the strike zone!” That quote came from the late, great Red Sox slugger, Ted Williams. What does that quote have to do with harness racing? Everything. Oh sure, different sports. Different activities. But the same message.

Let me explain. You’ve probably played baseball and softball. Every time you went to plate you wanted to get a hit. Right. Yet, you're excited. Maybe nervous. You know you've got the ability. All you need is to get solid wood (or in this day and age, aluminum) on the ball.

Yet, how many times did you get caught up in the moment. You ended up swinging at the first pitch that was out of the strike zone. Instead of a solid hit, you ended up popping out or hitting a weak grounder. Disgusted, you returned to the bench. At times like this, you should say to yourself, "Patience. I'm only going to swing at my pitch. I'm going wait until it comes, and then, I'm going to attack the baseball."

Enough baseball, let’s get to harness racing. You come to the track. You read the form. You look over all the races. Some races on the card immediately strike you as formful. They're definitely playable. Others are definitely not. Too many question marks. Too many horses with chances to win.

Just like that fastball (I knew I'd get back to baseball) that’s too far off the plate, layoff that pitch, I mean race. Watch the race. If you must be part of the action, make a token two-dollar win bet on your top choice.

In racing, just as in baseball or softball, you must focus on what you consider your best shot. In baseball, it's a pitch that’s in your wheelhouse. In racing, it's a race or races that are the most playable.

I'm sure you've heard the old adage:“You can beat a race, but you can’t beat the races.” Good advice. I know its hard not to bet just about every race. People get caught up in the moment. But your head has to rule your heart. You’ve got to detach yourself. You want to win. Therefore, you've got to concentrate on races that give you the most probability of winning.

Further (I know this may sound extreme), I believe that you should mythically think that you're wearing a pair of handcuffs around your wrists every time you think about getting up and going to the windows and betting questionable races.

Advice is cheap, but I’ll give you my best thought. Look over the harness racing card. Pick out three of four races (it could be less) that you believe are most betable — and then bet only those races.

Sure one of the horses you like may pop in one of the questionable races. So be it. Just think of how many times have you bet money on questionable races --- and lost. Save your ammunition for the best opportunities. And then...swing for the fences. Or, as Ted Williams used to say, “Don’t swing at pitches out of the strike zone.”

Sea Biscuit
12-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Teach: The more I read your posts, the more I like it.

You have a real good head over your shoulders.

I agree with you wholeheartedly what you said in your post.

Patience, in my humble opionion is the key to winning at races,
be it the T-Bred or the harness kind.

njcurveball
12-28-2007, 10:52 AM
“Don’t swing at pitches out of the strike zone!” That quote came from the late, great Red Sox slugger, Ted Williams.

Well that ends Vlad Guerreros Hall of Fame Career! :bang:

GaryG
12-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Well that ends Vlad Guerreros Hall of Fame Career! :bang:And almost every other Dominican as well...

wilderness
12-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Ted Williams never had 8-10 simulcast screens to focus his attention on ;)

It takes a determined and dedicated wagering fam to sit and NOT-wager on races while enjoying the races or chatter with his friends, all the while, remaining attentive enough to resume his spot plays when their moments arise.

Nor was he required to determine the abilities of pitches being whilred in his direction by throwsers from leagues of which he wasn't familar ;)

Sinner369
12-28-2007, 12:43 PM
That's why horse racing.......thoroughbreds or harness appeals more to guys with the patience and understanding of why horses win or lose.

You have to watch the progress of each individual horse......when they are ready to win......study charts and pp.....and replays. This takes time and patience.........most young people don't have the urge to do this. I know I didn't when I was younger!

sinner369

DeanT
12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
That's why horse racing.......thoroughbreds or harness appeals more to guys with the patience and understanding of why horses win or lose.

You have to watch the progress of each individual horse......when they are ready to win......study charts and pp.....and replays. This takes time and patience.........most young people don't have the urge to do this. I know I didn't when I was younger!

sinner369

Us bettors are cool, as far as I am concerned. It is a tough game, and when you win you have to smile, because it does not come easy. Harness racing is similar to thoroughbreds, and not unlike other games of skill.

Here is a story about harness betting and bettors.

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=59482