PDA

View Full Version : Entry Files in Delimited Text?

InControlX
12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm looking for a source of delimited text entry files for North American tracks to quickly scan entry names. If this has been covered in previous threads I apologize, I couldn't locate it using searches. I don't mind paying for the text entry files if they're not too pricey. Currently I'm using a homegrown HTML conversion which is very manual (time consuming) and high maintenance as it needs attention when the root file structures change.

Has anyone run across a source? I've asked the DRF Customer Service if they plan to offer "Text Entries" like they do "Text Charts and PPs" but have received no reply.

Thanks!

cj
12-27-2007, 04:45 PM
While this may not be exactly what you are looking for, it would do the trick:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/intoday_kym.cgi?date=2007-12-27

Just select All Tracks, then click on "All" under horses and voila, you have all the horses running on any particular day.

BillW
12-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm looking for a source of delimited text entry files for North American tracks to quickly scan entry names. If this has been covered in previous threads I apologize, I couldn't locate it using searches. I don't mind paying for the text entry files if they're not too pricey. Currently I'm using a homegrown HTML conversion which is very manual (time consuming) and high maintenance as it needs attention when the root file structures change.

Has anyone run across a source? I've asked the DRF Customer Service if they plan to offer "Text Entries" like they do "Text Charts and PPs" but have received no reply.

Thanks!

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/trk_report.cgi?etd

cj
12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/trk_report.cgi?etd

Yes, but you have to pay for those. :) Every penny counts when saving up for the Spa trip.

BillW
12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes, but you have to pay for those. :) Every penny counts when saving up for the Spa trip.

It's getting to be about that time, isn't it. :jump:

InControlX
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks fellows... The leads were accurate, but 50 cents a race seems steep for each track entry file. I'll keep my miner's cap on for awhile.

Kelso
12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks fellows... The leads were accurate, but 50 cents a race seems steep for each track entry file. I'll keep my miner's cap on for awhile.

ICX,
Very short on DP savvy, here, so perhaps I don't understand what you're seeking ... but I just copied CJs link (All Tracks, All Horses) into an Excel spreadsheet. Was then very quick and easy to sort the rows into track/race/horse order. All columns are, of course, searchable/deletable/etc.

InControlX
12-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Kelso,

The free links do give the entry info, but they are in HTML display format (like the DRF entry files I'm now using), which require individual downloads and conversion to delimited (data separated uniformly) text files to pick off the entries for each race. The 50-cent each text race files are already in the delimited format but would add another $150/month to my handicapping budget... which cut's too sharply into my ROI (and cigar fund), so I'll stay put.

plainolebill
12-29-2007, 12:35 AM
What version of Excel are you using? Later versions will download those tables into the correct format.

Tom
12-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I am using Excel 2000, and if I save the htm files, then use "Open With" and choose Excel, it will open with data in the cells.

highnote
01-04-2008, 02:44 AM

Great link! Thanks!!

Hope to see you at the spa!

ranchwest
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
This link is pretty cool if you are looking to specialize in certain types of races, such as maiden, turf, etc.

asH
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Copy and paste whole as text (in Excel), would be easy to parse the names since they are surrounded by numbers (post position, age)

5 Wood Winner 5 G L 118 Dominguez Ramon A. Gullo Gary P.

2 Sweetiewheatie 6 G L 118 Rodriguez Rudy R. Imperio Joseph

asH

1 Voryias 9 H L 118 Pezua Julio Molina Martin, Sr. Frank
2 Sweetiewheatie 6 G L 118 Rodriguez Rudy R. Imperio Joseph
3 Love That Song 7 G L 111 Branch Kyle Barker Edward R.
4 Dynergy 6 G L 118 Ortiz Felix L. Aquilino Joseph
5 Wood Winner 5 G L 118 Dominguez Ramon A. Gullo Gary P.
6 Then And Now 5 G L 118 Garcia Alan Bond H. James
7 Dr. Quirk 6 G L 118 Messina Robert Englehart Chris J.
8 Phil's Blue Way 6 H L 113 Cedeno Carol Rice Linda
9 Jersey Giant 9 G L 118 Maragh Rajiv Levine Bruce N.
10 Appealing Speed 5 H L 120 Arroyo, Jr. Norberto DiPrima Gregory
11 Just Le Facts 9 G L 118 Ortiz Felix L. Rojas Osvaldo

asH
01-06-2008, 12:22 PM
actually, copied the Brisnet file into Word (or excel) as a text file then manipulated a macro to replace the spaces (" ") with comma ","...with a little tweaking using VB one could create a comma delimiting version of the Brisnet file with relative ease.

asH
couldnt do that in a DB program

Sub Macro1()
'
'
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = " " 'represents space " "
.Replacement.Text = ","
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.TypeParagraph
End Sub

richrosa
01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
asH
couldnt do that in a DB program

Uh. No.

I could just as easily write a shell script like your VB program, or write a simple command line utility with a regex to replace the breaks with commas, then pipe the output to a MySQL command line utility that will read in the data.

For FREE of course, and fast.

To live in a world where Excel and Access and the other MS$ ways to do things are the only way might be cheating yourself out of the fullest education.

asH
01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
no you cant...I checked out Mysql last night..
I'm not simply talkin bout replacing spaces with commas as you see.... The function would need to discern full names as one, separate numbers from text keeping full names (Jr, Sr., middle initials) as one.
separate race, date, race condition,detailed race condition as separate entities. then - post, name (as one item), jock (as one item) trainer(as one item) for each race on separate lines.... if you didnt want to use VB then you can structure a Schema in XML
SQL is a data base language and would take to- to much effort to do all this.

1st Race (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=AQU&date=2008-01-06&race=1) - Aqueduct - Sunday, January 6th, 2008 STARTER ALLOWANCE. 1 Mile 70Y Dirt. Purse $49,000. INNER DIRT (UP TO $9,310 NYSBFOA) FOR FILLIES AND MARES FOUR YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE STARTED FOR A CLAIMING PRICE OF $50,000 OR LESS AND WHICH HAVE NEVER WON A RACE OTHER THAN MAIDEN OR CLAIMING. Weight, 123 lbs. Non-winners Of A Race At A Mile Or Over Since November 6 Allowed 2 lbs. (Races Where Entered For $35,000 Or Less Not Considered In Allowances). (12:30 PM) (8)PPHorseA/SM/EWgtJockeyTrainer
1My Fair El4 FL 116Arboleda Aldo Dutrow, Jr. Richard E.
2In For A Dime4 FL 121Samyn Jean-Luc Jacobson David
3Spartan Valor5 ML 121Messina Robert Englehart Chris J.
4Magic Momentum5 ML 121Lopez Charles C.Galluscio Dominic G.
5Bunny Junction6 ML 121Luzzi Michael J.Terranova, II John P.
6Unto The Hills4 FL 121Hill Channing Hushion Michael E.
7Alchera4 FL 121McCauley W. HerbertO'Brien Keith
8She Belongs To Us4 FL 121Dominguez Ramon A.Contessa Gary C.

and if you simply say after all this that you can then show me...
Thanks
asH

richrosa
01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
asH,

you're right, I don't know anything.

Good luck with your programming.

asH
01-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Rich, would it be ok for me to ask you for help with MySql... and if I can help you with anything?

thanks
asH

richrosa
01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Rich, would it be ok for me to ask you for help with MySql... and if I can help you with anything?

thanks
asH

yes. I help anyone on the board who asks. PM me anytime.

osophy_junkie
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
If you ask publicly, some others are likely to answer also.