PDA

View Full Version : "Stoopers"

Teach
12-27-2007, 08:02 AM
We've all seen them. They're about as numerous as opinions at a racetrack. They’re usually seedy-looking characters with unkempt hair and unshaven faces. They’re called “stoopers," or at least that's what they used to be called.

Fast forward your the "Time Machine” H.G. Wells. In the old days, the “stooper” needed a quick right foot (they woulda made good soccer players). You needed a quick turn of the ankle. "Stoopers" could turn over a face-down discarded mutuel ticket faster than you can say: "Invasor." Then, after gliming the ticket, they'd either pick it up, or they'd move on to the next. With all that stooping, it's no wonder some of those guys develped lumbago.

As our “Time Machine” fast forwards to the 21st Century, there's no more need to have an aching sacroiliac. All you need is strong pair of mitts (being two-fisted helps). It also helps to have deft fingers, grasping hands, and plenty of patience. Gone are the old-days with the lithographic-like mutuel tickets that were the size of baseball trading cards; today, the tickets are small. I've seen some "stoopers" bring their kids or grandkids to the the track. Many small hands make light work. These discarded tickets are then fed into the automated (who needs tellers) machines.

Yes, today a whole new arsenal of "stoopers" has emerged on the scene. They’re actually the "scavengers," (I’ll be kind and call them "the cleaners of the racetrack") like those snails in your fishtank that consume waste and scum.

Today’s "stoopers" go from carrel to carrel, from table to table scooping up discarded tickets. I’ve seen guys with hundreds of tickets in their hand. They bring them to the automated machine. This is where the process is finalized. Ticket-in. Ticket-out. In the vast majority of cases, this process is an effort in futility; however, as they say at the racetrack — all it takes is one!

The other day I was talking with one of the "stoopers". I asked him about his trade. He gave me some insights. He said, " The best time to stoop is when there’s somethin big goin on." e.g., Kentucky Derby, Breeders Cup. "That’s when there a lot of newbies," he added. "There's more a chance of pickin up 'winning' tickets."

Another area the "stooper" discussed was disqualifications. He said, "There's no telling how many winners I can pick up on DQs." He added, "The other day at one of Florida tracks one of those gate guys, you know the ones that steady the horses for the jocks, held onto the reins or somethin, the horse never come outta the gate. After the race, the horse was declared a non-starter. I knew there'd be a lot of stuff out there. Nothing big mind you, but good."

The "stooper" continued, "Stay away from the dogs. Waste of time. Did ya ever hear of a dog being DQed? I then asked, "What's the best payoff you've ever found?" "Big ticket," he said. "It lit up the machine like a Christmas tree. A tax ticket," he added. "I can't remember the amount," he continued, "but I was eatin high off the hog, even bought myself some new threads," he added. "What kind of ticket?" I asked. "He replied, "I think it was superfecta. Big investment. At least Sixty Benjies, maybe more. Must have been some disqualification; there always is." With that, "the stooper" continued on his stooping ways, er, or should I say grasping ways.

As a postscript: I was at the track early one day a few weeks ago. I saw a handful of tickets lying on this table in front of me; they had apparently been left there by the night crowd. I killed time by taking the tickets over to the machine. For fun, I tossed them in the slot. I put the tickets in, one by one. Reject. reject. Reject. Then on the fourth or fifth try. Buddabing! It registered. A four-horse exacta box at Delta: $24. Nice way to start the day. And I hadn’t even made a bet! This could be the start of a whole new career. Then again.

fromtheroof
12-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Having worked at a racetrack for the last 3 years, I have come into contact with plenty of stoopers. They are a rather big nuisance who take up the tote machines and we normally usher them away when we catch them, one thing i bet most people dont realize, any uncashed ticket goes back to the track after a certain period of time, so they would much rather not any stoopers at all, because it hurts their return if someone finds a big one. I know of one ticket at my track that is out for over $13,000, it happens all the time, people buy tickets and forget about them, or accidentally throw them away before the race is run etc etc.. The professional stoopers usually stick to the jockey clubs, because that is where the high rollers are usually at, I know of one our stooper guys who cashed in on over $2400 one day off of a trainer's son's table. It was ridiculus. Of course he was booted for a year lol

njcurveball
12-27-2007, 10:40 AM
any uncashed ticket goes back to the track after a certain period of time,

I believe NJ is a 50/50 split between the track and the horsemen.

fromtheroof
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I just grouped the horseman together, yes it is a 50/50 split in NM

TEJAS KIDD
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I remember a time at Bay Meadows, where they needed 8 starters for a trifecta. If a horse was scratched at the starting gate and made the field size less than 8, the trifecta was cancelled and all wagers refunded. Of course, the public was unaware of this as the horses were loading in the gate. The race would go off and all the losers would throw their tickets away. Made for some good "stoopin".

DrunkenHorseplayer
12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Only stooped once in my life; awhile back at GG there was a double DQ in the last race, 2nd and 4th I believe, and I knew there would be some tickets around. Checked for about five minutes and found nothing.

46zilzal
12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
At one time I was a member of the Sport of Kings Society and we traded old totes. In order to get enough to establish a trading group, one usually collected the harder to find variety 100 and 50 dollars (in the old days when the denomination was indicated by the ticket color).

Going around the clubhouse and GGF, I was scooping up a group of discarded $100 tickets when a fellow told me "We have janitors to do that!" "Okay" I responded and kept to my task. Then he yelled: "I'm no going to tell you again NOT to pick them up." "That's not what you told me," I responded.

He then launched into a tirade about the tickets were the property of the racing organization and I was not allowed to pick them up or I would be ruled off the track. I told him they were common trash and anyone was allowed to pick them up no differently than old hot dog wrappers.

I wrote to the California Horse Racing Board about this and they backed up my position. The next time I was there, armed with the position of a higher authority and........he didn't do a thing. He had a bad day and needed to yell at someone I believe.

Snag
12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Waiters and Wait Gals can always spot the table with the big money, plenty of drinks (Adult beverages of course), and not one of them with any knowledge of the horses. The tickets left on the table are a goldmine.

thespaah
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
It's getting to the point where I see stoopers going thru the trash cans looking for discarded winners. Amazing.
I accidenatally dropped a winner at Saratoga in '06....I was going thru my tix on the way to the machine and noticed one was missing. One thing I always do is note the window number every time I bet or reconcile my voucher. I also write down every bet I make in my program. Just habits.
Well I alerted the Tote teller. The one that sells the vouchers who in turn called her suprvisor over. I told him what happened. He ,to my surprise sprung into action. He asked if I knew which window I went to . He went over turned a key and punched in a bunch of codes. Sure enough the record of my bet was there and he cancelled the ticket....I was issued a voucher for the amount. about $45...Not more than 10 seconds later the supervisors radio cracks and sure enough the person that stooped was trying to cash the now defunct ticket..Too bad. So sad.
The supervisor told me that I was very lucky. Usually they don't get to these before the ticket is cashed.

Doc
12-28-2007, 11:06 AM
I often wonder how some of these stoopers root through the trash cans without wearing rubber gloves ... Some pretty disgusting substances are often in them.

On a much brighter note, my daughter was kicking around a pile of tickets at Philly P ark one afternoon and fished out a $50 bill. I immediately ushered her out of the area for fear someone would come looking for it.

Doc

Peter Berry
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I was a stooper for a day at Moonee Valley in 1984 (pictured). We call them emus in Australia. As I recall, of the 300 or so tickets I collected, I made $10.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2937&stc=1

Snag
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
I was a stooper for a day at Moonee Valley in 1984 (pictured). We call them emus in Australia. As I recall, of the 300 or so tickets I collected, I made $10.

It only takes one.

Peter Berry
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
It only takes one.

My newspaper made me give the $10 to charity.

Snag
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
My newspaper made me give the $10 to charity.

LOL. Ok, for you it takes only two......

Hajck Hillstrom
01-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Joey "the Signer" Mizrahi made a nice living in SoCal. He kept a very low profile, but when someone needed a big ticket signed for, Joey's services were made available. The 28% Federal Withholding Tax was applied to Joey's account, and the holder of the ticket walked out of the track with a large sum of unreported income. Joey was responsible for that.

Funny thing was, Joey didn't bet, but he did spend everyday at the track. He had his sources on the Turf Club wait staff, and janitor's whose job was to keep the grounds clear of losing ticket clutter. Sizeable tickets were his bread and butter. He paid his sources a small percentage on the value of trash they collected for him. Cash for trash on the downlow didn't hurt anyone. He had no problem picking up the losing $200 ticket off the floor himself now and then. That ticket would find a useful place in his records.

At the end of the year, Joey would usually have a combined total of W-2G's in the range between $500,000 and $1,000,000. He would then declare about 80% of those totals as certain gaming losses and live comfortably off his 6 figure federal tax return.

He was audited twice...and passed, but the third time, he wasn't so fortunate.

I think he will parolled in a couple of years.

Tracks are tougher on stoopers these days, and I do believe the I.R.S. had a hand in that.

My daughter accidently tossed a Pik6 ticket after losing the initial leg last summer at Del Mar. I told her it could still be live for for a consolation, and she went back to the trash can and tried to retrieve it. Security was on her so fast I was forced to step in and explain the situation. They were very helpful then, but he said the tracks have been alerted to "certain" situations.

Another reason the government should support ADW sites.

TEJAS KIDD
01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Joey "the Signer" Mizrahi made a nice living in SoCal. He kept a very low profile, but when someone needed a big ticket signed for, Joey's services were made available. The 28% Federal Withholding Tax was applied to Joey's account, and the holder of the ticket walked out of the track with a large sum of unreported income. Joey was responsible for that.

Funny thing was, Joey didn't bet, but he did spend everyday at the track. He had his sources on the Turf Club wait staff, and janitor's whose job was to keep the grounds clear of losing ticket clutter. Sizeable tickets were his bread and butter. He paid his sources a small percentage on the value of trash they collected for him. Cash for trash on the downlow didn't hurt anyone. He had no problem picking up the losing $200 ticket off the floor himself now and then. That ticket would find a useful place in his records.

At the end of the year, Joey would usually have a combined total of W-2G's in the range between $500,000 and $1,000,000. He would then declare about 80% of those totals as certain gaming losses and live comfortably off his 6 figure federal tax return.

He was audited twice...and passed, but the third time, he wasn't so fortunate.

I think he will parolled in a couple of years.

Tracks are tougher on stoopers these days, and I do believe the I.R.S. had a hand in that.

My daughter accidently tossed a Pik6 ticket after losing the initial leg last summer at Del Mar. I told her it could still be live for for a consolation, and she went back to the trash can and tried to retrieve it. Security was on her so fast I was forced to step in and explain the situation. They were very helpful then, but he said the tracks have been alerted to "certain" situations.

Another reason the government should support ADW sites.

Next season if you're at Del Mar, wait until the races are over and watch for the guys in the TRASH CREW t-shirts (I think they wear PINK TSHIRTS). There are a group of stoopers that volunteer to pick up recycleables after the day's races. In one bag they throw in bottles and cans and in the other bag, discarded mutuel tickets.

TEJAS KIDD
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
There's an article in the DRF about Jorge Periban (low profile trainer in So Cal). He survived as a stooper for 5 years. I actually did the same for about 6 months before I could get on my feet as a horseplayer back in the early 90's...