PDA

View Full Version : "Horse Talk: It Pays to Listen"

Teach
12-25-2007, 08:49 PM
One of the best books I ever read on winning at the races had nothing to do with charts, computer-generated handicapping programs, Beyer figures, trips, trouble lines, biases, etc. It had everything to do with a horse's body language. The book I'm referring to is called:"Horse Talk: It Pays to Listen."

Just as people give off non-verbal cues: folded arms, eye contact or lack thereof, posture, hand gestures; thoroughbred horses do the same. Most people are not aware of a horse's body lanuage; thus they can't take advantage of it. Visual handicapping can be a big part of your handicapping routine.

In this day in age of simulcasting, with dozens of tracks running from various parts of the country, you may be tempted to bet a race you have no form for. I call it "betting off the board." Yet, if you're astute and knowledgeable about horse body language, you may, in just looking at the post parade, spot something about a particular horse's demeanor, canter or anatomy that will suggest that he's ready to win.

The book I'm mentioning: "Horse Talk: It Pays to Listen (I'm not shilling for it) has a wealth of information on horse "tells." One of the things I remember most when I first read it (I lent it to a friend and never got it back) was that in a sprint you're looking for a horse that looks like a the knight in a chess match. You know that powerful mane and head look. Another factor I recall was the horse appearing lively on the track; the horse would be prancing around as he came onto the track for the post parade. He'd be on his tiptoes.

Further, you might want to look for what is called a "conditioning muscle." That musculature may be more obvious on one particular horse in the field than others. There's another muscle group, usually invisible in most horses, that the author calls a "tootsie roll" because this muscle group (I believe it's located above a horse's hind legs) resembles a giant horse-sized "tootsie roll". Frankly, I wish I could recall all the books details, but it's been several years.

Yet I do believe that horses' non-verbal communication about their well-being and conditioning, or lack, can be one more tool in handicapping the races.

kenwoodallpromos
01-05-2008, 08:41 PM
A good book indeed!

stuball
01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Just got mine and read it thru once....a bit dated but good info...
intend to read it several times....I bet from home so hard to study
horses in paddock etc on computer....video not the greatest...

Stuball

ranchwest
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Just got mine and read it thru once....a bit dated but good info...
intend to read it several times....I bet from home so hard to study
horses in paddock etc on computer....video not the greatest...

Stuball

Dated? Did horse body language change?

stuball
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
horses don't speak to me in english......Hmmmm
Maybe it's me that is dated....in fact I am
now sure if it......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuball

Hammerhead
01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
This is not a joking matter Sir Stu. Shape it up. Pay attention. No snikering or snied comments from the pumpkinfields of Wisconsin. Hey Stu. :lol:

cnollfan
01-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Dated? Did horse body language change?

Hip-hop. It's totally different.

DJofSD
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Further, you might want to look for what is called a "conditioning muscle." That musculature may be more obvious on one particular horse in the field than others. There's another muscle group, usually invisible in most horses, that the author calls a "tootsie roll" because this muscle group (I believe it's located above a horse's hind legs) resembles a giant horse-sized "tootsie roll".

When a horse is in top training form, there are a series of muscles that will look like a Tootsie Roll. They'll run at approximately 45 degrees to the ground and there will be 3 or 4 of them. I don't know how you'd go about measuring them but as a guess I'd say they're maybe 6 or 8 inches long.

Another "tell" is how distinct and how close to the dock the line formed by the muscles that form the horses quarters (it's butt) appear. A short, ill defined line would appear on any horse, even those just sitting around the barn doing nothing but burning hay. But a horse that has a very sharp, very distinct line that proceeds right up to the tail -- watch out, he's an equine Mr. Atlas. I used to look for the degree of conditioning of DWL fillies when he was here in SoCal by observing that line.

ranchwest
01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Hip-hop. It's totally different.

I was wondering why there were so many post parades featuring bling.