PDA

View Full Version : What should the President know?

GameTheory
12-24-2007, 07:38 PM
PA pointed out in another thread recent comments from Hillary Clinton showing that she has no grasp of Economics 101, which got me to thinking: what subjects should our president be an expert in, or at least be reasonably proficient?

I think it is unrealistic to assume we can elect a genius who is going to have a masterful knowledge of economics, foreign affairs, sociology, etc etc. But are there certain subjects that they've just got to know, or is it only important they've got good character (or maybe they don't need that either)?

Maybe the only essential skill is to be able to judge others well enough to know whether the so-called experts you're going to surround yourself with are really telling you the whole truth?

Robert Goren
12-24-2007, 11:35 PM
PA pointed out in another thread recent comments from Hillary Clinton showing that she has no grasp of Economics 101, which got me to thinking: what subjects should our president be an expert in, or at least be reasonably proficient?

I think it is unrealistic to assume we can elect a genius who is going to have a masterful knowledge of economics, foreign affairs, sociology, etc etc. But are there certain subjects that they've just got to know, or is it only important they've got good character (or maybe they don't need that either)?

Maybe the only essential skill is to be able to judge others well enough to know whether the so-called experts you're going to surround yourself with are really telling you the whole truth? No one has a masterful knowledge of economics!

skate
12-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Maybe the only essential skill is to be able to judge others well enough to know whether the so-called experts you're going to surround yourself with are really telling you the whole truth?

Good question.

Essential skill about judgement "On Truth".

And being able to Lie, while being fair and truthful to "the rules of the country".

lamboguy
12-26-2007, 05:14 PM
presidential field full of hall of fame flip-floppers and liars.

mitt romney is head flipflopper and hillary is el-supremo liar.

those are your 2 front-runners for the coveted office of president of the USA.

my guess is when it comes down to it the american public likes liars better than flip-floppers

Pace Cap'n
12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Various stain removal techniques.

kenwoodallpromos
12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Their own limitations.

Snag
12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I like to know WHO the next President will put around him to be the experts in all the fields mentioned.

xtb
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
How to gain the trust of the people that they lie to.

riskman
12-26-2007, 10:12 PM
We want the President to be flexible, pragmatic, capable of compromise -- also firm, decisive, principled. He must be steady and stable, housing his exceptional combinations of gifts within a personality approximately "normal."

Does this person exist today?

betovernetcapper
12-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't normally disagree with PA-but he is dead wrong on this one. Anyone who, with no experience, can turn $1000 into $100,000 betting cattle futures is an economics expert. :rolleyes:

http://www.top10weasels.com/hillary04.htm

betchatoo
12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
What the President needs to know is what every good executive needs to know. How to find answers when you don't know them. How to surround yourself with intelligent people who both agree and disagree with your point of view. How to listen to both sides and how to make a firm decision based on facts and logic. How to be flexible and make changes if it turns out your decision was wrong or if situations fluctuate. How to stand firm if you know your decision is right even if it's unpopular. How to put the interests of the American people above the interests of you or your your circle of most influential advisers.

Overlay
12-27-2007, 10:51 AM
What the President needs to know is what every good executive needs to know. How to find answers when you don't know them. How to surround yourself with intelligent people who both agree and disagree with your point of view. How to listen to both sides and how to make a firm decision based on facts and logic. How to be flexible and make changes if it turns out your decision was wrong or if situations fluctuate. How to stand firm if you know your decision is right even if it's unpopular. How to put the interests of the American people above the interests of you or your your circle of most influential advisers.

Very well stated. The only thing I might add is bring able to tell when someone is trying to sell you a bill of goods.

Tom
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, good post.
Add he should know "shinola" from other substances too.

Dan Montilion
12-27-2007, 12:46 PM
The President should know Pace Advantage off topic... it appears all the answers to all the problems are there. Who woulda thunk it?

mrharness
12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
what subjects should our president be an expert in, or at least be reasonably proficient?

pronunciation :D

46zilzal
12-27-2007, 01:15 PM
NO ONE PERSON, can wear all the hats in any administration.
One surrounds themselves with a wide array of experts in their relative fields and gleans their expertise.

The enlightened official however, keeps on their staff a member on the opposite side of every argument, (not the "yes men" sycophants that the rutabaga loves and harbors), in order to balance their understanding of all issues. An understanding of both sides of the coin allows them to govern with insight.

skate
12-27-2007, 06:58 PM
We want the President to be flexible, pragmatic, capable of compromise -- also firm, decisive, principled. He must be steady and stable, housing his exceptional combinations of gifts within a personality approximately "normal."

Does this person exist today?

Only if those that elect Him/Her have those qualities...and i think Not.:cool:

skate
12-27-2007, 07:00 PM
NO ONE PERSON, can wear all the hats in any administration.
One surrounds themselves with a wide array of experts in their relative fields and gleans their expertise.

Talk about a wide array of Hats, how about the Pope, he's sure enough got some Great looking Hats.?:ThmbUp:

skate
12-27-2007, 07:06 PM
pronunciation :D

Which has me thinking (ute oh)

What Qualities should be removed from your Presidential Vote.?

Pronunciation..,;)

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
(not the "yes men" sycophants that the rutabaga loves and harbors)And you know this scenario exists in the Bush White House because why? Did you work there too, along with the many other varied occupations you have held throughout your life?

ddog
12-28-2007, 12:29 AM
http://www.setamericafree.org