PDA

View Full Version : patriots: greatest ever........

larman
12-24-2007, 04:56 AM
I dont think it has dawned on most sports fans that this patriot team
is simply the greatest football team ever. Just look at the ease
with wich they bury teams week after week.

BIG RED
12-24-2007, 05:10 AM
They have had several tough games this season. It was in games where their opponents decided to play to their best. The Patriots have not played 'lousy' all year, which will give you some games. They played very good, to get the rest.

This, by far, is the best Patriot team I have seen, and finally proud to say, there have been a few! Best of all, can be debatable. I hope like hell they don't go 16-1

Bobzilla
12-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Share season tickets with a good friend down here in CT so I'm at a lot of the games. Was there last night, not sure how it looked on TV but I thought for sure that Dolphin Safety had picked that pass which Gaffney snagged and took to the house. Happened in front of me and it was like a real life optical illusion. Lot of energy at Gillette this year. And it was great to see the Red Sox honored before the game last night. I bet that Dolphins Tight End is feeling a lot of time in the hot tub today, God was he getting repeatedly smacked good last night. Rodney layed him out righteously on at least two occasions.

Though the 16-1 scenario has crossed my mind this year, it's hard for me to view this Patriots Team as not a team of destiny. Even in the games in which they were arguably outplayed, such as Philadelphia and Baltimore, they found ways to win. Great teams do that. I really believe this is a great team.

Wonder if the New York Post is still placing an asterisk next to the Patriots in the AFC East standings, with the * explanation "caught cheating"..... would seem rather silly and jounalistically unprofessional if they still are.

ghostyapper
12-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I think the patriots have proven the last 2 weeks (showing a dominant run game) to be more unbeatable than they looked against buff. Even in bad weather, they will be an overwhelming favorite.

If they finish 19-0 defeating the jags, colts, and cowboys in the playoffs, I would have to call them the greatest team of all time.

Marshall Bennett
12-24-2007, 12:41 PM
The Packers had some teams back in the 60's that were just as great . That was a different era though and a different style of football . Its tough to compare .

GaryG
12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
The Niners of the 80s were at least as good. Impossible to say who was best ever, just like the heated debates about the best horse ever. Bill Walsh didn't wear a hoodie though.

kenwoodallpromos
12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Miami was 17-0 total for the season. If NE loses 0 total "grestest" will be objective not subjective!

Gibbon
12-24-2007, 04:41 PM
All else being equal {a near impossibility} Pats' are the greatest in an otherwise mediocre year.
’85 Bears
’86 Giants
Denver’s two superbowl wins…
would devour this team.

Dallas wins it all this year. Dallas is battle hardened by their two losses. GB loss yesterday to an occasionally brilliant yet terribly inconsistent Bears’ defense may be their wake up call. Pats’ were outplayed against the Ravens on Monday night. Pats will lose this year!

Wickel
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Pats a memorable team no doubt. But I'd have to say the '85 Bears and some of the Cowboys teams of the '90s were on par. Doesn't matter, though, because the Colts will repeat if healthy!!!

OTM Al
12-25-2007, 08:50 AM
As much as sportscasters have assumed 19-0 this year from September on, I have been wondering why they have even bothered to play the season....

highnote
12-26-2007, 01:40 AM
I've always been a Belichick fan. I thought Modell made a huge mistake when he fired him as head coach of the Browns.

Belichick is not given enough credit, IMHO.

How good would Brady's stats be if he played on a lousy team? Even Brady couldn't get a team like the Dolphins to the playoffs.

delayjf
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
The Niners of the 80s were at least as good. Impossible to say who was best ever, just like the heated debates about the best horse ever. Bill Walsh didn't wear a hoodie though.
Agreed, I would also put the 90s Cowboys in the same league. Both of those teams had better defenses than NE.

IMHO,NE is outstanding on Offense, they just don't make mistakes with penalties and turnovers. But, they are not a physical team, they outscore you - They don't beat on you defensively or offensively the way the 80s 49ers or the 90's Cowboys did. They also play in a very weak division.

I was hoping that the giants would need to beat NE to make the playoffs, because they have the kind of physical defense needed to beat NE. Specifically you need a pass rush up the middle and tight man to man coverage the way Philadelphia / Colts / Ravens played against him. NE offensive line is very good at funneling the rush around Brady which gives him a clear view of the field. Dallas made that mistake. If you get a push up the middle it will obscure Brady's vision and force him to throw over and around which would effect anybody's accuracy. I think teams like the Steelers and the Cowboys will play them differently than they did the first time. More in your face man to man instead of drop zones.

skate
12-26-2007, 03:55 PM
im looking for dallas to win outright against n.e.

RaceBookJoe
12-26-2007, 06:28 PM
It impossible to say who the greatest team was.....there have been some really good teams. I think it would be much easier to make a top 20 list, but would have to do a little research. For example, which steel curtain team was the best, which '90s cowboy team was strongest, same with the '80s 49ers,'60s packers,etc. Yes, I am a redskin fan and my list would definately include the '91 Redskins, they are probably the most underrated great team. I cant comment on teams before 1970, except that the '60s packers were a real good team.

delayjf
12-26-2007, 06:38 PM
The 77 Cowboys were the only team to when the Super Bowl rated number one on offense and Defense in the NFL in the same year.

Ron
12-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Are the Patriots that great or do all the other teams suck? There's really only 4 competitive teams this year.

OTM Al
12-28-2007, 03:32 PM
The impossible to answer question but considering how very few teams, compared to previous years still had a shot at the playoffs even as of last week, one would seem to think there is a disproportionate amount of wins grouped among a few teams, thus causing me to think that if the former was not true, then the latter certainly was. 6 of those wins come against a pretty weak division to start with, but they should be given credit for quality wins against the likes of Indy and Dallas as well.

BIG RED
12-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Al, that's what makes me feel good about this team. Who is thought as SB champs to be? Indy and Dallas, which the Pats have seen, and beat. I do hope they get the 16 tonight, another great accomplishment I have witnessed with my own eyes.

BIG RED
12-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Heading out soon to watch the game. Put on NFL.com and a nice top picture of Belichick and the team. The NFL is loving it. What do you think about them bouncing it to the network stations, live feed?

delayjf
01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how teams can make such mistakes against the Pats in the 4th quarter. The Pats are good, but they've also lead a charmed life.

46zilzal
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Best of the decade? Sure.

Of all time?.....One cannot compare generationally just like in horse flesh.