PDA

View Full Version : Whither The Lead Pony?

Pace Cap'n
12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
While watching TVG yesterday, my wife (a good capper and judge of horseflesh) says, "Why do they need to have the lead horse?". My first response was "to keep the racing steed from running off", but then, they seem to find their way back to the gate after a warmup.

So, what's he there for? To insure an orderly post parade? To block your horse from view for half the parade? How much do they make? How much do they cost the track? Where do they come from? If twelve horses are in race 6, and eight in race 7, how do they decide who sits out?

Not the most pertinent of subjects, just wondering...

Jeff P
12-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Many track feeds give you a great view of the outrider's horses while they block the horses we bet on from view. Whenever I'm trying to watch a horse warm up I'm convinced that's why they're there. <G>

Seriously though...

Have you ever seen a loose horse on the track?

Believe me when I say this - some of those outriders are really good when it comes to gathering up a loose horse.

-jp

green80
12-23-2007, 12:56 PM
you are correct, the lead pony it there to maintain order in the post parade. While some horses are calm and easy to control, others are not. Most will do better with the pony at their side. The pony is paid by the owner of the horse. Back when I ran horses in the 80's you paid about 10-20 bucks. You just made arrangements with the pony rider. These are just local guys that make a few bucks at the track.

onefast99
12-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Pony fees are $25 now, it is well worth it as the pony calms down the younger greener horses during the post parade and they bring the horse right up to the gate. Some of our older horses like the ponies also!

Tom
12-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Excellant postabout the lead ponies blocking the view.
Just another little common sense thing that escapes the great minds in this industry. I think they are still in shock over standarized saddle cloth colors.

Amazing how a game so lacking in competance has lasted as long as it has.

Bruddah
12-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Excellant postabout the lead ponies blocking the view.
Just another little common sense thing that escapes the great minds in this industry. I think they are still in shock over standarized saddle cloth colors.

Amazing how a game so lacking in competance has lasted as long as it has.
In my part of the country they say "Amen, Bruddah, Amen! Your preaching at the choir! :D :lol:

Bruddah
12-23-2007, 02:26 PM
If I were a production supervisor putting together a Telecast/ TV show for horsemen, handicappers and fans, what is of interest to them? (1) 15 minutes of nasal drivel from wanna-be personalities, explaining their choices, or (2) 10 races with 1 1/2 minutes per race, of clear pre race warm ups, with comments. I say the latter and not the former.

They should read these forums and discover what's of interest to the horsemen/ handicapper/ fans.

Naaaahh! That would be giving us what we want and educating a new audience, along the way.
:bang: