PDA

View Full Version : Overextended in Cashcall Futurity

Bobzilla
12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Is it just me or does this race look like it hits this guy right between the eyes?

For me this is like the Derby in December, a large field of young relatively inexperienced colts, many of whom not having much in the way of racing adversity and ready to go out there and violate one another's energy mojo (whatever I mean by that).... Anyway, this is a fun race to handicap and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it yields some good prices, Superfecta anybody?

I respect Massive Drama and Colonel John based on what they've done to now, and wouldn't be surprised if any one of them won, but in a field like this with rapidly improving youngsters, why take a short price? I like Overextended to pick up the pieces late. Doug O'Neill thought enough of him to run him in a G1 at Dmr before breaking his maiden, then off the maiden win he felt fit to give it a go in the BC Juvenile, a race one can draw a line through because of the nature of the surface that miserable day. From watching videos of him he appears to be a hard horse to ride but the best results have come with Matt Garcia in the irons which will be the case today. He takes awhile to gear up and is a bit of a grinding sort and that's why I think the dynamics of today's event will suit him well. PVal on the impressive McPeek shipper warrants much respect after being so wide in that last and winning anyways. He choses Old Man Buck rather than Overextended but I think he moved to soon on the latter in the Delta Jackpot resulting in an extremely wide 2nd turn, yet O maintained relative position. The lower figs earned by Overextended can be attributed, to some degree, the tactics of the field going too slow for too long during the running of the event. Overextended will probably have more of a chance to save ground today than some of his more heralded competitors today with the exception of MD.

Sierra Sunset, Eaton's Gift also look interesting to me. Tres Borrachos, hey I think that means 3 drunks in Spanish, so I have to throw him in my exotics as well. Anyway, so excited about the race just thought I'd write about it. Good Luck to those who decide to play it. I have a hunch we're looking at a very generous Superfecta for those so inclined.

bigmack
12-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I think Monba's got some real talent. All in all it should be a ding dong dandy of race.

john del riccio
12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Massive Drama is who I am going to look at. He can sit the trip from that post and likes the track.

John

JustRalph
12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I hated the way overextended ran in the last out. Looked like he regressed to me.......it was a tough field...........but after the way he ran behind col.john I thought he would do much better............but he just didn't have anything in the last 8th........at all.............I think he needs some more time off...........

1GCFAN
12-22-2007, 04:02 PM
What a nice race. Uncle Buck is scratched. Col John was very impressive in is last but it was a case of the rail opening wide for him. Still the one to beat. I didn't consider Monba much until watching his races. He will travel behind horses and might find room to get up. #14 Refree had a lot of trouble last out but he might be running at the end for a part of the super.

10/8/1-2-12/1-2-12-14

Bobzilla
12-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I was wondering the same thing in regard to him possibly needing a freshening in the wake of so many races in a short period of time. I'm willing to give him another shot, I think the price will be correct and I want to be there if it happens.

dylbert
12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
First person observation here -- I was standing next to Doug O'Neill during running of Delta Jackpot 15 days ago in Vinton, Louisiana. He and Overextended's groom seemed excited when he made his move during later part of race. Overextended moved too late and too wide for Delta Down's compact 660-foot stretch. After race, O'Neill did not seem upset. In my opinion, he looked disappointed that Overextended did not do as well as expected.

Overextended handled dirt well. He may have been victim of Delta's quirky configuration. I call it "bull ring with dragstrip". Elongated chute, 2-1/2 furlongs to finish line, is attached to 6 furlong "main" track. So, I am giving Overextended "pass" for his Jackpot effort and labeling it as $20,000 public workout. Why stay in SoCal when you call earn valuable graded earnings toward Kentucky Derby starting gate and enjoy evening workout in hot, humid Louisiana?

Bobzilla
12-22-2007, 05:39 PM
That's good info, thanks for that, Dylbert. It's interesting you said the move was too late, I though if the rider had waited he might have been able to save ground while traveling the turn, but I fully admit I don't know the winning moves or the nuances of Delta Downs. I've been sensing O'Neill is high on him based on where he's been placing him. Worth a shot at the odds.

dylbert
12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Clarification / correction: After I made post here, I re-read an earlier post I made today concerning Overextended and Delta Downs surface. I stated "Overextended did not seem to handle Delta Downs surface too well." Better stated, Overextended's jockey did not handle DeD track configuration well. PVal moved too late and ended up too wide. Other observers have suggested that PVal got "schooled" by local jockey. Albarado, Borel and Gomez have ridden here previously and understand nuances of this classic bull ring as well. Today I expect better outcome for Overextended and his connections.

Robert Fischer
12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Overextended kind of strikes me as an expensive colt that just hasn't materialized to the talent level expected of him. Reddam is a major owner, and I think Reddam has more to do with the lofty placement of this horse than actual trainer intent. Stranger things have happened and I would like to see him do well!

For the Morning Line Longshots I think Indian Sun and Referee have to be considered for pretty much every type of wager. Indian Sun comes in off the right preperation with the right running style in top form. Other than Colonel John, Indian Sun looks like the most likely winner. Referee had a nice win in his debut where he actually won after racing inside off the pace at Turfway (a rarity). Then he finished very willingly over at Churchill. Referee looks to be one of the top 3yo derby-prep season horses, although preferably on dirt. Neither will go off at near there high ML odds but both will offer value.

JustRalph
12-22-2007, 07:00 PM
I think Indian Sun and Sierra Sunset could be upsetters............

1GCFAN
12-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Official finish 12-8-2-10

Mandella had the 12 cranked. I felt he might be caught wide but he got a great ride. Monda (my choice) was dozen back after three quarters and as the form said, "found his best stride too late". I am still a beliver and when they start going longer he will very tough.