PDA

View Full Version : Joe Talamo...

Hajck Hillstrom
12-22-2007, 04:52 AM
...step forward or back with the firing of his agent, Ronnie Eubanks?

Coming of age, or bad advice?

Quite a bit to-do about it Friday on TVG with Christina Olivares interviewing both.

I do find it strange that Talamo wanted an agent that would focus on his book, and then hooks up with Solis' agent, Scotty McClellan.

Any insights or opinions?

boomman
12-22-2007, 10:31 AM
...step forward or back with the firing of his agent, Ronnie Eubanks?

Coming of age, or bad advice?

Quite a bit to-do about it Friday on TVG with Christina Olivares interviewing both.

I do find it strange that Talamo wanted an agent that would focus on his book, and then hooks up with Solis' agent, Scotty McClellan.

Any insights or opinions?

Hajck: I was a little surprised that Talamo fired Ronnie Eubanks, too, and contribute his drop in winning percentage more to losing the bug than anything else, as every hot apprentice rider experiences that to some degree when they first become a journeyman. But I can tell you, he got the best agent in the business in Scotty Mc Clellan:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer

Hajck Hillstrom
12-22-2007, 12:42 PM
he got the best agent in the business in Scotty Mc Clellan:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: BoomerWithout question, Scotty McClellan is definitely a class act.

Loyalty, once again, appears to be the forgotten trait.

Interesting comments by Eubanks that the individual most effected was his girlfriend.

I really don't know what to make of the situation, and after listening to the spin, I would really like to know the core situation.

BombsAway Bob
12-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Without question, Scotty McClellan is definitely a class act.

Loyalty, once again, appears to be the forgotten trait.

Interesting comments by Eubanks that the individual most effected was his girlfriend.

I really don't know what to make of the situation, and after listening to the spin, I would really like to know the core situation.
A Young successful jockey gets to hear; "With YOUR TALENT you could be doing MUCH BETTER!"..while things go smooth, no problem. Once the wins start to fade...time for a change! I'm sure Joe will go thru all the 'growing pains' associated with journeymen jockeys. Wonder what Alex Solis thinks about all this; he hasn't exactly been getting "live" mounts from Scott recently. How's that business relationship going to shake out?

BIG49010
12-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Joe should talk to Shane Sellers, and see how business is these days!:bang:

JustRalph
12-22-2007, 04:04 PM
As a student of body language etc........... I thought that interview with Christine was very revealing. The fact that "ron" seemed completely honest and concerned in what he was saying tells me much about the situation.

After getting Joe entrenched in the toughest colony in the country, I think leaving this guy was a mistake.

ALostTexan
12-22-2007, 04:07 PM
This will either be the best or worst move of his career, but I do agree that loyalty has been forgotten...

bigmack
12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
According to Ebanks, Talamo’s decision was based on concern over competition from Ebanks’ other client, jockey Tyler Baze. Going into the Dec. 22 closing day card at Hollywood Park, Baze was second in the standings (28 wins) to leading rider Garrett Gomez (34 wins). Talamo was fifth with 17 victories.

“He gave me an ultimatum to fire Tyler or he was gonna get another agent,” said Ebanks. “I said ‘You’re making the stupidest mistake of your career; you’re making this decision based on emotions.’ I begged him not to do it, but he didn’t listen.”

"I wanted to go in a different direction," Talamo told the Form. "Me and Tyler are fighting to get to the top. We’re good friends. It’s part of the game. It’s time to move on."

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42860

kingfin66
12-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow, I seem to recall seeing a feature on TVG that depicted Eubanks not only serving as Talamo's agent, but also as a roommate, guardian and father figure. I think Talamo could greatly regret his decision.

Show Me the Wire
12-22-2007, 06:53 PM
An observation. It appeared to me that Ebanks booked T.C. on the livelier mounts when T.C. and Joe rode in the same race.

toetoe
12-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm wondering whether Victor will dump HIS agent. I don't think so; he's too nice. He also must admit he just has not been riding well.

eastie
12-22-2007, 09:12 PM
typical ungrateful jock with a short memory. People won't trust him to be loyal to them anymore either. These jocks seldom see the big picture.

lamboguy
12-22-2007, 09:18 PM
these jockeys all think its them winning the race. as far as i am concered a jockey can never win you the race, they can only lose it for you.

i have never used the top jockey's when i ran my horses. my lifetime record racing horses is over 25% and my average win-ticket is 21.00. i have raced in tampa, new york, new jersey, keeneland and del-mar.

i have at times been with top trainers, but not all the time. most of the horses that i have run come from off-the farm training in ocala

Pace Cap'n
12-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow, I seem to recall seeing a feature on TVG that depicted Eubanks not only serving as Talamo's agent, but also as a roommate, guardian and father figure. I think Talamo could greatly regret his decision.

Just a guess, but perhaps that is the reason for leaving--maybe he feels he's old enough to try his wings.

Also, he already had a rep as a talented jock when he showed up in SoCal.

The folks on TVG seemed to share the opinion of the board.

Turfday
12-24-2007, 05:45 PM
This past Sunday night, Dec. 16, I attended a very nice Xmas party at Ronnie Ebanks house in Playa del Rey. He was the consummate host and couldn't have been nicer. Had some downright delicious Lousiana gumbo.

Joe Talamo lives there and was at the party as well. I wonder if this means Talamo was planning to move out of the house this past week, or wondering if he's still living there. Might make for an awkward situation, don't you think?

I also chatted for quite a while with Christina Olivares and trainers Beau Greely and Brian Koriner. Nothing was mentioned even about a possible split. I'm quite surprised.

Pace Cap'n
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
A good article on Joe Talamo, via Equidaily.com...

sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=jo-talamo122607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=jo-talamo122607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

But as Baze's fortunes rose, Talamo's business dropped.

The situation came to a head Dec. 16.

In the fourth race at Hollywood Park, Talamo was listed as the rider on a 5-to-2 shot and Baze was listed as the rider on a 12-to-1 shot. But Baze's horse was scratched before the race, and the public address announcer updated the crowd on a change in the program.

Baze would replace Talamo on the 5-to-2 shot, leaving Talamo without a mount.

A change of jockeys is considered acceptable in a stakes race. But in a race for low-level claimers, when the riders already are listed on the day's program, a change in jockeys is considered an affront. It's so rare, in fact, a trainer must meet with the stewards and typically argue his case over the objections of a jockey's agent.

But Ebanks had no objections.

MakinItHappen
12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for sharing the article Pace Cap'n!

Best of Luck To You Today!

MakinItHappen

bigmack
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Baze would replace Talamo on the 5-to-2 shot, leaving Talamo without a mount.
TBaze picks up In My Life @ 5-2 and it pays $6 to place?

toetoe
12-27-2007, 01:44 PM
mack,
I saw that, and the feeling is mutuel.

Indulto
12-27-2007, 02:08 PM
mack,
I saw that, and the feeling is mutuel.Happy Holidays, toester, and I hope that feeling is as mutual as our acquired taste for a F'ridgerated Big Mack. ;)

bigmack
12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Happy Yuletide, toe's (Lilie Von Schtupp), & Duelto. Bring in The F'Ridge and The Fantastic Four could work up a number "6". That's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life and highjack yet another thread.

All the best, gents.

toetoe
12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Wotta revoltin' development. :eek:

As to Mrs. Meade, I would, for a quarter, pound 'er. :bang:

Flaming on,
The Hijacker

P.S. The Merry Marvel Marching Society wants ... YOU. tt

Indulto
12-27-2007, 03:49 PM
It appears we have in fact hijacked Hajck's thread, so getting back on-track, Mack, my take is that Talamo helped himself in getting McClellan just as Gomez did by going with Anderson despite Pegram's role in his come back. So once more it's "Hit the road, lo-Jack-er!" :D

With all the other uncertainties and distractions jocks face, it seems reasonable to me to end a situation where nagging doubts were obviously festering. Did McClellan "recruit" Talamo the way Anderson supposedly did Gomez?

Have there been other enduring jockey-agent relationships like Shoemaker's with Silber?

toetoe
12-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's hoping no one gets "hjacked off" over thread redirection.

Remember the Talamo !! :jump: