PDA

View Full Version : Hor$ense at AQU Inner & Gulfstream

CapperLou
01-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Recently purchased Hor$ense with idea of using for tracks where speed plays strong.

Gulfstream since opening day has not done well, but I believe we need a couple of weeks for most of the horses to have a race over the track. I know that last spring (2002) this software did extremely well at GP.

The way AQU has been running--with speed dominating--I think this should do well. Today it nailed Boldest Heart in the 9th at AQU which paid 30.60 and had the 2nd horse also which produced a 220.00 exacta.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has been using it at Aqu Inner and how they have been doing. You will save me a lot of time and dollar bills by not having to download back AQU files from Bris.

Guys---thanks for any input you can give me!!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

Derek2U
01-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Would you plz clarify your post. I would like that program "Horse
Sense." --- but you said you purchased it in the spring of '02 ---
some 8 months ago, yet you want a review of it. And, it just gave
you a $220 at AQU and did well last year at GP ... so, what is your financial concern? It seems more than worth it. Explain?

CapperLou
01-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Derek2u:

If you re-read the post you will find that I indicated I recently purchased it.

I have infomation from other sources that the software performed very well at GP in the spring of 2002.

Today was the first day I used this sofware at AQU--I'm sure you realize that you cannot judge software on the basis of one day's results.

CapperLou

Tom
01-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Whose program is it? Is there a web page for it?
Always curious about software.

I bet Lefty has it <G>

CapperLou
01-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Tom:

The program is by Joe Mainardi and his website is:

www.ponypicker.com

CapperLou

Show Me the Wire
01-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Capper:

I too was a bit confused by your post. I can understand why Derek2U asked the question. The strong affirmative statement about it doing well last year at GP was the culprit.

A sincere quuestion? Isn't your query sort of what came first the chicken or the egg? I am not familiar with the sw and that is why I phrased the question as above.

Shouldn't the software crunch the data to indicate what tracks it should be used at? If you have to identify speed bias yourself why do you need sw to calculate speed favoring tracks for speed horses?

Maybe I am missing something about what the sw is actually suppose to do?

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

The more I experience the less I know.

CapperLou
01-19-2003, 09:25 PM
ShowMetheWire:

I do a lot of handicapping the old fashioned way--going over the charts.

Hor$esense is not a databased piece of software--so you have to take time--like most other software--to find out where it is strong and where it is weak--nothing is perfect!!!

I am only aware thru a post on PA that it did well last year at GP. IMHO--this is a piece of software with heavy emphasis on speed---not pace or class.

Therefore--it should work well at tracks that favor speed!! AQU has had a huge speed bias this fall and that is why I'm interested in learning more about anyone's experience thus far this past fall to the present.

I only use one other software program and all year long and that is Thomas Racing System's Total Victory At the Track which utilizes the work in the book by William L Scott. For many years I did TVATT from the drf and it took hours for each card.

CapperLou

Show Me the Wire
01-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Capper:

I am still confused? Do you down load data or do you manually enter data?

If you download data the sw should crunch the numbers which in turn should indicate what tracks you should play. If you have to manually enter the data I do not see the usefullness of the program, because you already identified the speed bias track and it is not to hard to conceptually see what horses are speed types by looking at the pps.

Still not sure what the benefit of this program is.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Too much color blinds us.

CapperLou
01-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Show Me The Wire:

The program--like most others--takes bris single files. I am using the program to complement my other program.

I am interested in seeing what it can do on it's own at tracks that favor speed. I do not have the time to handicap 4-6 tracks manually every day.

Most software programs do not "pick" winners--they just give you lots of info and you have to use one of the top choices based on your own instincts. For example--AllWays etc.

This is a piece of software that eliminates most races on a card as "pass" races and selects a few that are "good" to play and then actually produces picks thru its auto defaults that are said to be good. I'll find out soon enough thru research and some actual play.

CapperLou

Kappa
01-19-2003, 10:41 PM
I thought CapperLou was asking if anyone else was using this software. Why is he being given the 3rd degree? Did I miss something? Either you have information about it, or you don't.

I know that I would be interested in hearing some user's thoughts.

Show Me the Wire
01-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Kappa:

Didn't know asking civil questions constituted the 3rd deegree. I was interested in what Capper was asking because of GP. As I said I am not familiar with the program and what benefits did Capper believe he would receive from using the program.

BTW, I don't think Capper saw my questions in the same light as you so I don't understand the need to defend someone from nothing.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Nature acts without intent.

CapperLou
01-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Kappa:

You have it right--thx very much!!!!!

CapperLou

Show Me the Wire
01-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Capper:

I asked you civil questions, I am sorry if you thought I was giving you the third degree. If you felt that way I wish you have said something.

I really don't understand the problem. I do not use sw, but if I was going to use sw I would expect it to crunch the numbers and point me in the rihgt direction.

I enloy playing GP and last year it was not really a speed bias track, The track surface had more sand added than usuual.

I thought this board was to discuss. Is this guilt by association because I agreed with Derek2u? I pointed out why I could see Derek2u was confused as I was.

Gee, I thought we all wore long pants here, now you ask a question and you get accused of grilling someone and someone else has to jump in and defend the original poster.

I remember a time when you could have a discussion without everything being interpreted as an insult.

Best wishes in your endeveors.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Nature acts without intent.

Derek2U
01-20-2003, 08:40 AM
My My ... I can't take U2 anywhere. I want you to recall that
I, Derek, am a budding world spiritual leader and, as such, have
an infinite obligation to look over my flock, which includes U2
seagulls. Now both of U stop scrapping over HorseSense NOW.
And perky blond 1 ... stop harassing CapperLou ... he is a fine
player in the P4 -- unlike U who does not, ever, post picks -- and
we don't know if you're part horse? Also, D2U is never confused.
Thanks for the opportunity to criticize U.

JimL
01-20-2003, 10:14 AM
CapperLou, Unable to answer your question however I have one for you if you dont mind. What do you think of the TRS program? I would much rather see the performance class ratings broken down as Scott did in his book. Jim

CapperLou
01-20-2003, 10:31 AM
JimL:

To answer your question about the TRS TVATT program: I have been profitable using TVATT for many years at most tracks and the software now makes it easier for me than having to do it all manually.

You have to wait for spots where one horse sticks out and that is your roadway to profits. If you try to play every race, you will not have a positive ROI at any track because of the takeout.
But, again, if you pick your spots you can have good success and a positive ROI at most venues.

All the best,

CapperLou

Lefty
01-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Capper, I have the H$ prgm but have not used it much but will give you this: It will also use TSN files.
I'm more into DB stuff and FPS stuff so haven't given H$ much of a trial.

keenang
01-20-2003, 04:18 PM
CAPPER
I HAVE THE OLDER V5 OF HORSENSE. I THINK IT IS A VERY GOOD PROGRAM. MY ONLY RESERVATION IS SOMETIMES IT MAY SAY ONLY 1 RACE OUT OF 9 IS PLAYABLE.
GOOD LUCK GENE

Tom
01-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I have an old DOS version of this - got it a long time ago. I think it was a demo from ITS?
I used all Scott's ideas rather successfully years ago. I think it might have vaule today becasue it is not what the public is using.
I gotta see if the old program is still on my old Windows95 machine. I had a bunch of other simple programs that might be interesting to look at again.
Thanks for the reminder.

karlskorner
01-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Somebody gave me the disk for the 5.0 program, about 2 years ago, because he was distatisfied with it, what I think you have is the "windows" version, if you just bought it recently. At Joe's site it looks a lot like the 5.0 version except you don't have to do it manually, takes about 1/2 an hour to enter "all " the races, I ignored his "don't play" races and typed in the entire card. Same old, same old. The only thing I found of interest was on the 1st page, the last 1/8 mile #, something like Jim Lehane call's the "golden 8th". The one big fault I found with it was it uses DRF speed rating and variant and he built in a track comparison, in the 5.0 version ,you had to enter the Best 3 year times for all the tracks you were interested in, probably they are in your version.

I think it was Jaguar who brought it up a couple of months ago, you might try and get ahold of him.

CapperLou
01-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Karl:

Yes, I did chat with Jaguar about this software back in the fall. The new windows sw has everything built in now and of course it gives you very few plays per card.

I'm testing it at GP--nothing to write home about so far, but I think that after 3 weeks of racing it might start to perform well--we will see!!!

Thx for your input; always appreciated!!

CapperLou

P.S. As usual at GP--the only things working for me so far this meet are ANGLES--horse and trainer/jockey etc. It's always this way the first few weeks at Gulfstream every year.

karlskorner
01-20-2003, 09:19 PM
I guess it was 2 years ago that I played with it, for the last couple of weeks at CRC and a week or 2 at GP. Since it's based on DRF Speed/ variants, you can almost get the same results adding together the SR/VAR. On the last page (5.0) you could go to the bottom and get a chart that listed all the catagories, so you didn't have to waste time going through each page. The fun part was printing the comments for each horse, when it said The "absolute" fastest horses in the race everybody got excited, people would stop me and say "Karl, who's the absolute", rarely won.

midnight
01-26-2003, 05:55 AM
Lou: I've read the Scott books. I'm curious as to what factor of TVATT you use to identify standouts.

CapperLou
01-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Midnight:

I will share this with you---the first thing you would look for is a horse that has a high PCR--lets assume 160 or 138 for example; and then no other horse in the race after sctaches has a PCR over 99.

Then you would want the horse to absolutely qualify on his/her running line--in other words--NNN or N+N for example. The horse shoud also be in the top three in ability times!!

That's about as far as I'll go here---the rest is proprietory!!!
It has to do with knowing what races to play based on age, sex and distance and which tracks are profitable--some are not no matter what filters you use.

This should help you immensely--what I've divulged above!!
Try it on paper until you reach a positive ROI--then start using real money and enjoy yourself!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

JimG
02-07-2003, 11:54 PM
CapperLou,

Please check your PM. I sent you a message. Thanks.

JimG