PDA

View Full Version : New 'High Five' wager might prove problematic

Pace Cap'n
12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
In addition to the cost of a ticket, Richard Eng considers some other potential problems...

Interest will increase as the carry-over grows. When the pot gets large, the betting syndicates will jump in, and that's where trouble could occur. For example, the day that an odds-on favorite finishes sixth or worse and a big syndicate wins the entire six-figure pool, horseplayers will be grumbling that the race was fixed. The sport doesn't need that.

The Super High Five would be an easier bet to manipulate than a multi-race wager. That's because you need only one horse, the favorite, to run badly to make a life-changing score.

The stewards now must compel jockeys to ride hard for fourth and fifth place. This is problematic because at the end of any race, all of the horses are exhausted. Just to differing degrees. If I were an owner or trainer, I would not want my horse abused, or possibly injured, just to run fifth.

www.lvrj.com/sports/12706462.html (http://www.lvrj.com/sports/12706462.html)

njcurveball
12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
The stewards now must compel jockeys to ride hard for fourth and fifth place.

Ummm, can we start by getting the jocks to ride hard for 2nd and 3rd place first?

BombsAway Bob
12-21-2007, 11:41 AM

Ummm, can we start by getting the jocks to ride hard for 2nd and 3rd place first?
They can Compel all they want..Maiden $25K horses have one feature in common with BMW's...They can stop on a dime!

Tom
12-21-2007, 12:45 PM

:lol::lol::lol: Right on brother!

magwell
12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
They can Compel all they want..Maiden $25K horses have one feature in common with BMW's...They can stop on a dime! and give you 9 cents change