PDA

View Full Version : Win $ Wager Flow - Example 12-19 ROTD

MakinItHappen
12-20-2007, 10:56 AM
The topic of "suspiciously smart" late money flowing into the pools after most of us have been "cut-off" has got some discussion on the board and some have suggested that wagering should be cut-off earlier and final odds posted prior to horses leaving the gate. So I decided to just take a look at yesterday's Race Of The Day at Hawthorne - Race 7. I took screenprints of the Win Pool odds and Wager totals throughout the wagering process (from Xpressbet) and just thought I would pass along my observations / findings for those on the board who find such things interesting.

The pools opened with 19 min. to post with $4,031 in the Win Pool. At 5 minutes to post very little additional monies had flowed into the pools, bringing the pool total to $8,174. As the horses are loading into the gate the Win Pool reached $25,104. Keep in mind that this is on my XpressBet video which I believe is delayed 30 sec-ish? So realistically, the horses are getting close to leaving the starting gate. As the horses break from the gate (on the delayed video) the Win Pool is at $46,722. The final odds update comes as the horses are at the top of the stretch (on the delayed video) with the win pool closing at $80,968. From the $47k mark to the $81k mark 4 horses showed a decrease in odds while the other 7 increased.

The winner dropped from 17-1 to 14-1.
The 2nd place horse who was caught in deep stretch dropped from 7-5 to 6-5.
The 10 horse who finished 7th but was a close-up 3rd through 6 furlongs dropped from 40-1 to 36-1.
The 11 horse who finished dead last after running 6th through the first 1/2 mile dropped from 19-1 to 16-1.

Suspicious? Perhaps a little bit, or maybe not, but regardless, a ridiculously large volume of $'s is flowing into the pools VERY LATE in the process and I think something needs to be done to address this so that at a minimum we can protect the perceived integrity of the wagering process.

How long after the horses have left the gate do tracks or tote systems accept wager transmissions from ADW's, other tracks or simulcast facilities? My guess is very late. With today's software capabilities, what controls are in place to prevent someone at one of these facilities from "dutching" the frontrunners 2/3 rds of the way through the race.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along this observation which I realize is just one of a hundred that occur each racing day and would appreciate comments from those who may be knowledgeable of the wager processing process as to whether their are controls in place to prevent this system from being compromised.

Best of Luck To Us All!

MakinItHappen

levinmpa
12-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't this this is atypical. I think you'll find that 75% of the money wagered in a given race shows up in the final couple of minutes of wagering. As the horses break from the gate, and wagering closes, all the money from simulcast locations must still be transmitted to the host track's tote system. I think this is where the problem lies. They are using old technology to transmit the data and the money does not show up in the pools instantaneously as the betting closes.

Another issue that causes the appearance of odds changes during the running of the race is that the odds on the first 4 horses in running order always appear on the screen. If the order doesn't change, the odds don't refresh in the graphic. When the order does change, the odds shown in the graphic are then refreshed. If the running order doesn't change until the field is rounding the far turn, then odds changes that could have occurred 30 seconds or more earlier, are finally refreshed, but appear to have changed late in the race.

I'm not defending the system by any means. I don't really have much confidence in the system after the Drexel boys did there thing in the Breeders' Cup. I just feel that the old technology can give the appearance of shenanigans.

shanta
12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I just feel that the old technology can give the appearance of shenanigans.

I would replace the word "appearance" with "opportunity and application"

Dave Schwartz
12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
This thread has great potential because (apparently) the powers-that-be in our industry are actually reading PA.

I did a short study several years ago where I compared the pool sizes at zero-minutes to post (on Philly Park's tote system) to the final handle in each race.

The conclusion I came to then was that 45% of the money came down before and 55% after. This varied significantly from track to track, with larger tracks such as Santa Anita, Belmont, etc. coming in as high as 52% and the smaller tracks coming in as low as 40% or so.

I can only assume that the "after" percentages will be even more pronounced now because:

A) This was "pre-whale" times. (Three was only one significant whale that anyone was aware of.)

B) More money was flowing into illegal books. (That money now goes into the pools and probably bets late as well.)

C) More people than ever are wagering with ADW's.

D) The night tracks are almost totally dependant upon off-track handle.

IMHO, even if there is no cheating there will always be the perception of dishonesty. Our game can not afford that.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

SMOO
12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
IMHO, even if there is no cheating there will always be the perception of dishonesty. Our game can not afford that.

:ThmbUp:

MakinItHappen
12-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I followed the same procedure as described in my earlier post and took screen prints of the minute by minute odds updates for this race. The race was won by the 8 at a ML of 10-1. She took command early and never looked back.

Observations:

1) The 8 opened as favorite with 19 min to post at 6-5 with only $601 in the win pool.
2) The 8 gradually drifted up to a high of 7-1 with 2 minutes to post (as shown on Xpressbet) with $11,298 in the pool.
3) A full 5 min. later in real time, at about the time the race is starting the 8 is 6-1 and the win pool is at $46,961.
4) The win pool closed at $85,598.
5) From the $47k point to the pool close, only one horse showed an odds drop. The relatively easy winner, 8 dropped to 5-1.

The smart late money wins another one...

Having said that, the odds drop on the winner was not real significant and not really extraordinary at all. So I would say overall, the significant late money came in pretty comparable to the first half of the pool... it was just slightly more heavily skewed towards the winner.

Again, I don't really think any conclusions can be drawn from this, but just wanted to pass this along to those who may be interested in this kind of stuff.

Best of Luck To Everyone!

MakinItHappen