PDA

View Full Version : Random All-Star Game thought

harnesslover
12-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Not sure why I was thinking about this the other night, and really had no answer..

Why does the NBA, MLB and NHL have their all star games in mid-season and the NFL has their's after the season is over?

Has it been like this from day 1?

njcurveball
12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Easy answer, injuries and the lack of guaranteed contracts.

harnesslover
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Good point. I totally forgot about that aspect. You have to wonder if any players would even play if it was in the middle of the year..

Marshall Bennett
12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
As curveball noted , injuries pretty much forbid the football game from being played midseason . In my opinion they've all become somewhat of a sideshow and I'm bored by them !! When I was a kid back in the 60's , the college all-stars played the NFL champions each year . That was fun to watch , however , after several injuries to the college stars threatened their NFL careers , it became extinct .

harnesslover
12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
As curveball noted , injuries pretty much forbid the football game from being played midseason . In my opinion they've all become somewhat of a sideshow and I'm bored by them !! When I was a kid back in the 60's , the college all-stars played the NFL champions each year . That was fun to watch , however , after several injuries to the college stars threatened their NFL careers , it became extinct .

The only things interesting to me anymore are the MLB homerun derby and (well used to be) the NBA dunk contest..

Even though I hate the NBA, the dunk contests when Jordan and Dominique were in it were legendary

Overlay
12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Easy answer, injuries

They didn't tell Pete Rose in the 1970 All-Star Game (although Ray Fosse wished they had).

RaceBookJoe
12-20-2007, 02:17 PM
They didn't tell Pete Rose in the 1970 All-Star Game (although Ray Fosse wished they had).

Or the hit that Sean Taylor laid on the Bills punter this past year. With the NFL so injury prone is has to be played after the season. I like the homerun derby in mlb, plus at least the game means something ( homefield advantage ). I dont watch any of the others.

kenwoodallpromos
12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
NFL players only play 1 day a week and get a bye in the middle; They do not need a few day' break like the other sports.