PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article On ADWs At DRF Site

trying2win
12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I just read an interesting article at www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com/) about New York's major thoroughbred tracks and ADWs. It's under the title "NYRA In Account Wagering Talks", and was written by Matt Hegarty. You have to be a registered member with a user name and password to read the article.

I don't know if it's appropriate for Ian Meyers of PTC to comment at this time about these talks, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks,

T2W

NoCal Boy
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
This is good news. It looks like California, New Jersey and now New York will have some form of open access for ADW's. How long do you think it will take for the horsemen in other major racing states to also demand open access for their signals? As long as an ADW is willing to pay a fair price, then it should have the signal. All win in that scenario.

Track Collector
12-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up TRYING2WIN. Imagine AQU/BEL/SAR with rebates!

BillW
12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up TRYING2WIN. Imagine AQU/BEL/SAR with rebates!

I'm trying to imagine them AVAILABLE for wagering. :eek:

stuball
12-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Hurry up 2008 and get here already.....want to see these changes ASAP
I am impatient I know....want to give all my action to PTC.

Stuball

john del riccio
12-19-2007, 09:26 AM
This is good news. It looks like California, New Jersey and now New York will have some form of open access for ADW's. How long do you think it will take for the horsemen in other major racing states to also demand open access for their signals? As long as an ADW is willing to pay a fair price, then it should have the signal. All win in that scenario.

Can it be, NJ getting out from the political nonsense in AC, I will hold out hope.

I will keep from getting too exited just yet, i've been living in NJ too long to beleive this.

John

Scav
12-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I also thought this article is awful interesting. Once Tracknet gets the golden goose, Youbet and TVG will be in an awful lot of trouble if they don't get on board with all those tracks.

tbioaj
12-19-2007, 03:09 PM
I also thought this article is awful interesting. Once Tracknet gets the golden goose, Youbet and TVG will be in an awful lot of trouble if they don't get on board with all those tracks. If NYRA opens up their signal, Youbet should cut ties with TVG. That should enable them to get the first two legs of the Triple Crown back. Youbet would only miss out on Keeneland and the NJ tracks but I think the Kentucky horsemen(or the Jersey horsemen for that matter) wouldn't go for one ADW with limited exposure to be the only one carrying their signals. In the end, I think we will all get a chance to wager on every track with whatever ADW we want.

Scav
12-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I do to, specifically because NY is the golden goose when it comes to simucasting.

hoovesupsideyourhe
12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=Scav]I do to, specifically because NY is the golden goose when it comes to simucasting.[/QUOTE

no doubt ..the rest will die on the vine..i hope tvg takes it hard.. really hard.]

trigger
12-20-2007, 08:20 PM
I do to, specifically because NY is the golden goose when it comes to simucasting.

As the golden goose, NY is going to demand a very high price to ADWs to carry their signal (similar to what California, NYOTB, and presumably Tracknet affiliates does now) . IMHO, this will mean that ADW's will not be financially able to grant very big rebates (if any) especially if the ADWs also have to also kick in some money to TVG/HRTV.
For premium tracks, Youbet's recent proposal to split the takeout 1/3rd each to tracks, purses, and ADWs (6-7% each) is probably not going to be acceptable to these tracks or horsemen.
On the other hand, the growing move by the tracks and horsemen to regain control of the distribution of their product ( and related revenues) will in all likelihood mean that takeouts won't be reduced anytime soon...when was the last time you heard a horsemen's group support a lower takeout?
BTW, it appears that Tracknet's strategy has been successful in making the current movement toward universal access to tracks via the ADW of your choice a reality.

JustRalph
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM

After not being able to bet them for a while now............. I really haven't mised the goose and the short prices that much............. give me open access to California tracks year round and the NY Goose gets none of my money in the future...........

Kelso
12-20-2007, 10:21 PM
As the golden goose, NY is going to demand a very high price to ADWs to carry their signal (similar to what California, NYOTB, and presumably Tracknet affiliates does now) . IMHO, this will mean that ADW's will not be financially able to grant very big rebates (if any) especially if the ADWs also have to also kick in some money to TVG/HRTV.

Well, that will give the industry an opportunity to test the relative weights of the purists (for lack of a better word) who revel in the alleged quality of NY racing ... and the gamblers who are primarily out to make money from the game. (I guess I'm still new enough to all this to not understand all the fuss over AQU and BEL. Saratoga ... OK, I appreciate tradition.)

My bet is that the NY and other 'premium' tracks will lose market share ... and the not-nearly-so-greedy tracks/horsemen that allow room for larger rebates will see major increases in handle.

The TV channels might just find out how little they're needed, as well.

trigger
12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, that will give the industry an opportunity to test the relative weights of the purists (for lack of a better word) who revel in the alleged quality of NY racing ... and the gamblers who are primarily out to make money from the game. (I guess I'm still new enough to all this to not understand all the fuss over AQU and BEL. Saratoga ... OK, I appreciate tradition.)

My bet is that the NY and other 'premium' tracks will lose market share ... and the not-nearly-so-greedy tracks/horsemen that allow room for larger rebates will see major increases in handle.

The TV channels might just find out how little they're needed, as well.

The "premium" tracks have traditionally garnered the most attention and handle...don't see that changing too much in the near future.
BUt, whichever way it turns out, IMHO horse racing without TV is just not going to make it in the long run.

Kelso
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
IMHO horse racing without TV is just not going to make it in the long run.

To be clear, I think TVG and HRTV are "preaching to the choir." It seems, to me, that they attract people who are already into playing the races. They don't, as a rule, attract the new blood on which all industries depend. I also think most players will continue playing, with or without HRTV/TVG.

I agree that a prominent ... i.e., network ... horse racing program, with high production standards, sensible programming strategies and a strong, regular schedule, could be of enormous benefit to the thoroughbred pari-mutuel industry.

shanta
12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
IMHO horse racing without TV is just not going to make it in the long run.

I have never watched a race on Tvg/Hrtv.

Just give me an odds board and a video stream to watch the race. I'm good to go.

trying2win
12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
give me open access to California tracks year round and the NY Goose gets none of my money in the future...........

Ralph:

I'm guessing someone would have to influence Inspector Coutu of T.O.C. to make any progress on that wish.

...I'm sorry....I'm getting the T.O.C. fellow I just mentioned, confused with that police character from the Pink Panther movies :). I'm just teasing Drew Coutu, but I wonder if PTC does manage to get the signal for the major New York thoroughbred tracks in the near future, whether that would influence Drew in some positive way for open access to California thoroughbred tracks for all onshore ADWs.

T2W