PDA

View Full Version : Change for the Sake of Change

Pell Mell
12-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Why, when everything is working fine, and when one just gets into the swing of things, does every thing every where have to have a "New and Improved Version" with every feature they can think of? I know I'm an old fogie but I, and millions more like me spend money also. I don't even have a cell phone and most of my friends don't either. Why? Because we can't figure out how to use them. We would buy a cell phone if we could find one that is just a PHONE. I don't need or want caller ID, programmed dialing, a camera, etc.

What prompts me to post this is my computer. Since I reinstalled Windows XP all the updates and latest features of windows and the Google toolbar, which I had liked, have my screen so cluttered there's hardly room left for a web page.

Do I need 2 bookmark icons? Do I need 4 places on the screen telling me what website I'm on? Why can I no longer right click on the back button to return to the original website? Why does everyone want me to sign up for everything under the sun? In order to get one feature I want I have to take 10 I don't want.

Question, how can I get the older version of Google toolbar and windows xp? And, how can I get a nice clean web page other than my homepage which is blank?:confused: :mad:

DJofSD
12-16-2007, 04:02 PM
And, how can I get a nice clean web page other than my homepage which is blank?

Use FireFox.

kenwoodallpromos
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Are you saying you feel like MSN is telling you what to do online?

mrharness
12-17-2007, 02:08 AM
I have no problems with Internet Explorer and any malware/virus. So, I think IE is the best and don't push some other type of browser. Firefox is liked by a lot of people that have tried it - but many don't like it. And it might give you problems at some websites.

Do I need 2 bookmark icons? Do I need 4 places on the screen telling me what website I'm on?
If you are using IE6, you can customize the toolbar (or totally eliminate it). Right click on it and choose customize. Add or remove buttons and put them in any order that you like. You can remove the address bar if you want. Same way, right click and choose remove.

It can also be done by clicking View. You can also remove the status bar, that is the one at the bottom that tells you if a page is loaded or if some error in loading comes up (also from View).

As to the Google Toolbar, I don't use it but from what I am told, Google will upgrade it if you have it and you may not have any say so in the matter. So, it is unlikely you can get the same old version, even if you had a installation copy sitting on your hard drive.

I suppose to get an older version of XP - when you install the version you have, just don't do the updates. Although, it is not recommended.

Why does everyone want me to sign up for everything under the sun? Do you mean in general? Or is this some unwanted stuff popping up on IE? Did you reinstall due to malware? Depending how you reinstalled, you might still be infected? More details would be needed.

judd
12-19-2007, 08:43 AM
really like firefox

phatbastard
12-21-2007, 10:54 PM
i open an I.E. window to run cbs live racing...use firefox for everything else...ez to use and rarely get any spyware .

being a geezer...this stuff generally baffles me, but ease of firefox impresses me

mrharness
12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
It would be a good thing if the original poster wouldn't abandon his thread. Report back with details and let us know if the problems have been solved or not.

Pell Mell
12-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I want to thank everyone for their help. I've got my screen under control now.

BUT, NEED HELP: When I re-installed windows xp I did as it said and unhooked everything first. Now I have no printer or scanner. I plugged my printer in and put the CD in the D: drive. but nothing happens. The printer is a Canon Pixma ip6000d and had no trouble installing it before. It plugs into a USB port but my computer does not see new hardware. I keep getting a message that says; Msetup4.exe has encountered a problem. Any help guys?

DJofSD
12-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Make sure the devices are correcting connected and powered on. Then Control Panel, Add Hardware then respond to the prompts. If windows does not discover it by itself, try to install it using the installation that should be a part of the CD.

Good luck -- time for the Christmas feast.

Pell Mell
12-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Make sure the devices are correcting connected and powered on. Then Control Panel, Add Hardware then respond to the prompts. If windows does not discover it by itself, try to install it using the installation that should be a part of the CD.

Did that and a lot more. Evidently a driver is missing and I'm working on that.

Pell Mell
12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Here is a column, that tells better than I can, the problems that older people like myself contend with.

http://townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2007/12/25/computerized_confusion?page=1

cmoore
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I use firefox and internet explorer..

dutchboy
12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Do you still have the instruction that came with the printer? I am looking at the instructions for the canon Ip4300 and I doubt it it matters which canon model you have.

Step 1 of the installation instructions in capital letters states: Be sure to TURN THE PRINTER OFF before continuing.

My suggestion would be to find the instructions and reread them and follow them step by step. There also a line that says to disable all anti-virus programs before installing the driver. Your antivirus program I guess could be blocking the driver install.

dutchboy
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
The instructions I have from Canon states in capital letters that the printer must be turned off before starting the install process for the printer.

Pell Mell
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I have instructions. The computer sees new hardware if I turn printer on but cannot install. I have copied the CD to hard drive and tried to go from that. No matter what I do I get the message that Msetup4.exe has encountered a problem and has to close.

I googled Msetup4.exe and it seems other people have had this problem. I followed some of the advice and am still trying to find that driver and download it. Thanks for the help everyone.

skate
12-27-2007, 06:52 PM
is it possible that you did install the printer, but when you go to "Select Printer"., you've got the wrong printer CKed.?

Hence, the puter is not looking at your install.