PDA

View Full Version : Calder / Hollywood / TVG

Marshall Bennett
12-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Guess I shouldn't be surprised , they put a grade 2 race on tape from Calder to show the first at Hollywood Park live ... hmmm ... no bias here !!

David-LV
12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
When The Meadowlands was running the Breeder Crown races a couple of weeks ago, TVG was showing $4,000 claiming races from Los Al live while $700,000 Breeder Crown races were on tape delay.

Yes the people that run TVG appear to be brain dead most of the time.

_______
David

Tom
12-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Most?

:lol::lol::lol:

ArlJim78
12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
they let nothing interfer with Los Al, which they view as sacred. even when they have special coverage of races like the Melbourne Cup (2million purse going 2 miles) or the Japan Cup, at inopportune times they breakaway to catch $4000 claimers going 350 yards which you can see every night of the year if you're so inclined.

thespaah
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Guess I shouldn't be surprised , they put a grade 2 race on tape from Calder to show the first at Hollywood Park live ... hmmm ... no bias here !!IMO TVG has always had a pro Southern California bias.
After all their studios are located in LA. I think most of their on camera talent are So Cal people.

thespaah
12-15-2007, 06:40 PM
When The Meadowlands was running the Breeder Crown races a couple of weeks ago, TVG was showing $4,000 claiming races from Los Al live while $700,000 Breeder Crown races were on tape delay.

Yes the people that run TVG appear to be brain dead most of the time.

_______
DavidStandardbreds have always taken a seat at the rear of the bus on both TVG and HRTV...

BIG49010
12-16-2007, 11:57 AM
You should have HPI in Canada, they put Grade I's on tape delay 3 minutes to post for the beloved Woodbine.:bang:

hibiscus
12-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Isn't it possible that, when there are two tracks running a race simultaneously, TVG will favor any track other than Crc since Crc will be shifting over to HRTV in a few weeks?

Marshall Bennett
12-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Isn't it possible that, when there are two tracks running a race simultaneously, TVG will favor any track other than Crc since Crc will be shifting over to HRTV in a few weeks?
Not when one involves a 200k Grade II stakes race ..

rrbauer
12-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Not when one involves a 200k Grade II stakes race ..

TVG's allegiance is to their "exclusive" partners and has nothing to do with what's being run at a lame duck track. I don't say that's "right" but that's the way they operate.

Tom
12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Kind of like an infomercial for ghinsu knives - TVG is not really what we would call a racing channel. Neither is HRTV, but they seem to understand that they have an audience who is over 10 years old and bet tracks other than California crap.

thespaah
12-17-2007, 06:40 PM
It is? I have not seen any news on that. Do you have a link?

thespaah
12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Kind of like an infomercial for ghinsu knives - TVG is not really what we would call a racing channel. Neither is HRTV, but they seem to understand that they have an audience who is over 10 years old and bet tracks other than California crap.
If those channels are not racing services, then what are they?. Are there any services dedicated to horse racing other than TVG or HRTV?
Who is "we"?
A note..These are basic questions. Not challenges. These queries should not be construed as a bias in favor or against TVG and/or HRTV.

Tom
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
They are come ons for the betting services they represent. Neither does a great job of promoting racing, nut, IMHO HRTV wins hands down - not even close. I can't imagine either one draws in many new fans, aside from short attention spanned mental midgets who are amused by clowns.

The only place you will find racing based stuff is the net - YouBet, Twinspisers, but then again, Twin spire is very limited by thier own choice and Youbet by TS choice.

Horse racing is represented by short sighted dimwits at all levels.

thespaah
12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
They are come ons for the betting services they represent. Neither does a great job of promoting racing, nut, IMHO HRTV wins hands down - not even close. I can't imagine either one draws in many new fans, aside from short attention spanned mental midgets who are amused by clowns.

The only place you will find racing based stuff is the net - YouBet, Twinspisers, but then again, Twin spire is very limited by thier own choice and Youbet by TS choice.

Horse racing is represented by short sighted dimwits at all levels.
HRTV is so milquetoast. The people on there may be knowledgble but they are bereft of any personality.
Jon White a sharp guy, reminds me if Mr Rogers. Joanne Jones is incapable of making a brief point. She constantly has the need to put her personal spin on everything. Blecch...... Becky Witzman......no comment..
And then we have the production.. Most of the time HRTV has no on camera talent and plays that wrist slitting music.
To be fair..Laffit Pincay III does a very good job. So does Peter Lurie.
But overall HRTV is almost unwatchable. JMO..
THe other services you mentioned aren't on tv and are available only to members who can legally wager on those sites.
Which is another can of worms. I wish there was a way I could simply set a up an account with any one of the domestic sites and wager. But because I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt, that ain't happening. I think that is total BS..

hibiscus
12-18-2007, 12:05 AM
It is? I have not seen any news on that. Do you have a link?

My comment was mere speculation. Hence the words, "Isn't it possible that..." ;)

I guess that I'm in the minority but I happen to like most of the TVG guys. Matt doesn't seem to get too much love on this board but I find him entertaining. Frank is a decent race analyst and Todd and Simon are enjoyable.

I'm capable of forming my own opinions and don't need someone on TV to assemble a pick-4 ticket for me. So when they're discussing their selections I just ignore. But I don't find the need to bash them. For the most part I'd rather listen to the TVG guys who have personality. Yes they're biased to the CoCal circuit but I can live with that. I've actually developed more of an interest in that circuit because of TVG's coverage. It’s just disappointing that they’re losing so many good tracks to HRTV when I don’t get HRTV in my area.

Marshall Bennett
12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I've voiced my share of complaints . However , if you were to walk into my living room on any given afternoon , chances are my set would be tuned to TVG . I enjoy their programing for the most part . I'm glad their around !!

Tom
12-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Mr. Rogers......LOL!

"Today, Mr. Trolley is taking us to the Big A."
"Can you say Exacta? I think you can."

:lol: