PDA

View Full Version : NETCAPPER

il2randr
01-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Would like to hear of experiences using NETCAPPER. Thanks

Derek2U
01-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Now, at the outset Understand that my remarks about
NetCapper as I type this is PURELY MY PERSONAL STATEMENT.
Got that? So, in that way let me say that EVERY horse player
room is GREAT. We players need choices and NetCapper provides
a choice. But, as regulars congregate--- IMO--- PA assembles
the best cappers, and its board leader is more open to change
and more responsive to us regulars' needs than any other room
I've seen. Having said that, and meaning every word, I would
NOT want to see MOST of NewCappers Regulars try to blend in
here. IMO they found their niche and should probably stay there
where their comfort level is maintained by an older, less free,
nanny-ish overseer. (There are 2 cappers there who I regard
as A++ .... BTW). Also, NetCapper allows way too much self-
interested advertising of over-priced, over-hyped software and
one book ad nauseaum. But I hope that NC stays around for
a long time because it has its place and many like it that way.

Dave Schwartz
01-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Derek,

>>>...I would
NOT want to see MOST of NewCappers Regulars try to blend in
here.<<<

This is a joke, right? If not, then in my opinion, you are out of line here.

Do you not want NetCapper users or do you not want ANY software users here? Or maybe you only want people that use paper & pencil? Is it the sophistication level that bothers you?

From the posts to and from you that I have seen on Netcapper, it is very possbile that the Netcapper folks might feel the same way about you.

Why don't we just let everyone post and try to get along in harmony?

Respectfully,
Dave Schwartz

Derek2U
01-18-2003, 11:31 AM
huh? I use pen & paper, never a pencil. When will you get
au courant?

Dave Schwartz
01-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Derek,

au courant?

Is that a bird?

Dave

il2randr
01-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Guys, just looking for info. here, good experiences with the program, bad; too expensive, etc. Thanks

Derek2U
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
I've been trying to use NC but its tedious w/ my pen & paper.
I started doing a race on 9/24 and I'm still working at it.
More pertinent, there are several regulars in THaT room who
have been using it since day 1 & they're objective in how its
doing, but I suppose you've read all them posts. BTW, I'm
also very sure its an interesting product, despite its hefty price.

andicap
01-18-2003, 12:43 PM
What we have here boys is a failiure to communicate.

The question, Derek, was not about the room, but the software.
The problem was in terminology since the name of the program is the "Capper," and the website is www.netcapper.com.
So I can see where Derek got confused as did everyone else.

So Derek unless you use Gordon's computer program....this question is not for you.

Kitts uses it -- email him for a good response on the program.

kitts
01-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Netcapper as a handicapper's website is way long on picks and way short on handicapping discussions in my opinion. For anyone who wants my review of The Capper, software developed by Gordon Pine, who is also the man in charge at Netcapper. I just bumped that thread

Tom
01-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Derek,

au courant?

Is that a bird?

Dave

It is the French version of grilled spotted owl <G>
Served with cream sauce.

Bob Harris
01-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I don't use The Capper personally but I've seen it in action at the Hilton...very impressed with how it handles first-time starters. I'm guessing there is a blend of breeding/trainer stats which the program uses to pick up the contention. This particular user has also developed a nice spot play on horses going off at 5-1 or higher.

The only downside would be the monthly expense to HDW for data if you're a "once a weekend" type of player. Even so, compared to golf or skiing, this is a pretty inexpensive activity.

Speed Figure
01-19-2003, 01:18 AM
Bob,
your right if the program used bris or tsn that would be my top program.but i don't want to start anything about the capper using bris or tsn pp's. :p

LOU M.
01-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Not to start a debate about daily versus monthly downloads but Netcapper which I don't use and HTR which I do require monthly downloads because each software requires complete PP's on a daily basis for computations. In the case of the Capper it's predictors need the info to determine whats winning at the track.If you only downloaded once or twice a week the software is useless to you. IMHO even if you only actually play on weekends you would need daily info for your track for the software to be useful. I know a lot of successful players not all of whom use a computer,but they all keep records of all kinds and they all need a daily stream of info for their success. Conversely, I don't know anyone who can look at some pps once a week and be successful.Having said that, if you spent $2.00 per day at say Brisnet for their ULT.PP's ,5 days a week you're at $40 per month and add in other sources and how far away are you from the monthly fee.If you feel the software is that good it should be able to cover the additional cost. That was my reasoning for joining HTR.Happily it was the right choice.Sorry for the long post but this topic of downloads arise often.

GR1@HTR
01-19-2003, 09:33 AM
If your goal is to win money:

For the record, I am not a netcapper user but something that never is said about all you can eat downloading services is that it gives you valuable data you can analyize about the track/tracks in question...ie time to prepare on the latest goings @ your track.

Guys who run a turkey trot, 10K, marathon race, bike race, powerlifting competition, spelling bee, or whatever don't just show up on saturday and say here I am, lets win this thing...They prep during the week. They train and practice...

Now if your goal is to have some fun and hopefully win money (which there is nothing wrong with) then the $1 file would be the best route...

Larry Hamilton
01-19-2003, 10:49 AM
courants-

thats what you do with the workers in your neural net when they are not working correctly... "cure ants" heheh

LOU M.
01-19-2003, 10:54 AM
You have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much time on your hands.:D

Larry Hamilton
01-19-2003, 11:00 AM
naaaaaaaagh, you think?

Bob Harris
01-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by LOU M.
Not to start a debate about daily versus monthly downloads but Netcapper which I don't use and HTR which I do require monthly downloads because each software requires complete PP's on a daily basis for computations. In the case of the Capper it's predictors need the info to determine whats winning at the track.If you only downloaded once or twice a week the software is useless to you. IMHO even if you only actually play on weekends you would need daily info for your track for the software to be useful. I know a lot of successful players not all of whom use a computer,but they all keep records of all kinds and they all need a daily stream of info for their success. Conversely, I don't know anyone who can look at some pps once a week and be successful.Having said that, if you spent $2.00 per day at say Brisnet for their ULT.PP's ,5 days a week you're at $40 per month and add in other sources and how far away are you from the monthly fee.If you feel the software is that good it should be able to cover the additional cost. That was my reasoning for joining HTR.Happily it was the right choice.Sorry for the long post but this topic of downloads arise often.

Lou,

I don't have any problem whatsoever with the unlimited download format...for what you get, it's a very nice bang for the buck. If someone was only able to play once or twice a week, they could still use the Capper as their handicapping tool but there is a requirement to keep the data current...and that costs money. A regular player doesn't really have a decisicion to make...none of the HDW plans are overpriced in my opinion. A weekend player does have more of a decision to make...Am I willing to make the time and financial commitment to keep a particular piece of software current?

Bob

LOU M.
01-19-2003, 01:32 PM
My point really wasn't about the weekend player but about paying for downloads monthly versus daily. The software most peolple on this board use requires daily info to keep it "learning", and it might be cheaper in the long run to use a monthly download.Maybe Speed Figure could clarify his statement.Do you want to play once a week or do you feel Tsn or Bris is better?Bob, you're right,it is a decision wether you want to make a serious commitment . The question should be "do I want to be a successful player" not about keeping the software up to date.Wether you use paper and pencil or a PC serious players make serious commitments.

Speed Figure
01-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by LOU M.
Maybe Speed Figure could clarify his statement.Do you want to play once a week or do you feel Tsn or Bris is better.

I did not make a statement.I only play 2 or 3 times a week.My downloads cost only $15-$20 bucks a month using bris and $5-$10 bucks using tsn.

If i played every day than HDW would be a great deal but i don't.

Richard
01-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Must one use only the HDW files with the Capper or can one use the PP's (Bris,TSN,or DRF) and manually enter info?

Lefty
01-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Richard, I don't have the Capper but bght the manual and you have to use the HDW files as there is no manual entry.

Speed Figure
01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Lefty,
i just knew you had the capper.looks like you are a Bris($1) & TSN(.50) man like myself.

Lefty
01-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Speed, don't have the Capper, just the manual. Cost $10.