PDA

View Full Version : Racetrack Chaplain Article. Beulah Park/Turfway

JustRalph
12-13-2007, 04:10 AM
http://www.thisweeknews.com/?sec=home&story=sites/thisweeknews/120607/GroveCity/News/120607-News-464026.html&tab=tab1

Good piece. Positive piece on racetrack Chaplain, with a slideshow

http://www.thisweeknews.com/?slideshow=sites/twn/slideshows/beaulahpark07/&slideshowTYPE=3

~Snip~
Bilingual blessings
Chaplain at Beulah Park reflects growing number
of Hispanic workers at horse tracks

Echoing off the long rows of cinder block stables and mixing with the dank smell of horses and straw, a calm voice of a man reading the Book of Psalms, first in English, then in Spanish, is heard late mornings on the backside of Beulah Park.

Track chaplain Ruben Berra walks out of his office trailer, which has a cross painted on it. He goes down the metal steps holding a Bible that has horses and jockeys at a racetrack on the cover. Berra speaks slowly into the security station loudspeaker:

"Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked ... but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night."

"I don't have bells," Berra said, after his short, loudspeaker sermon. "I have a speaker."

~more at the link~

boomman
12-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Ralph: I am proud to say that I have worked very closely with the Racetrack Chaplaincy over the last several years, especially with Chaplain Ken Swenson and Carl Criswell.We hosted Pat Day at Yavapai last year, who of course, is heavily involved in the chaplaincy and does many personal appearances on their behalf and assists in ministering to the backstretch personnel at tracks all over the US. Chaplains like Chaplain Berra in this article do a fantastic job of helping and spiritually uplifting the backstretch workers and their extensive behind the scenes work is often not recognized or acknowledged. This was a fine article, and in this season of giving, it is important to remember those less fortunate. Pat Day already knows this, but on this forum I pledge any help I can give to the chaplaincy, and encourage others on this board to do the same!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

GaryG
12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Keep it up.....:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I think this is a great group and think what it does is very important. I know this is not off topic, so I do not wish to start a discussion of this here, but you have to know that many of the people they give aid to are illegals. Does this alter your feelings about this program?

kenwoodallpromos
12-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I think this is a great group and think what it does is very important. I know this is not off topic, so I do not wish to start a discussion of this here, but you have to know that many of the people they give aid to are illegals. Does this alter your feelings about this program?
If true today, aid is also given illegals by owners, trainers, tracks, possibly vets or farriers who overhear things. Wouldn't it be nice if they were all above board and legal, or if Americans wanted the jobs? What are they typical hours and pay for stable help? IMO any body who does it Legally are to be applauded!