PDA

View Full Version : Neural Net Software

mrharness
12-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Jaguar mentioned using NN in another thread - I'd like to hear all about them. What is still out there. How they perform. etc; Anyone using them exclusively?

Racecom was the most miserable piece of NN that I ever saw in my life. There were programming errors so that various buttons did not even work. Rather than reprogram the software they supplied various workarounds so that I wouldn't have to use those buttons. And that was how they handled that expensive piece of garbage.

Tom Barrister
12-08-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't understand how a neural network can be expected to accurately assess the chances of various horses in a race. It would seem to me that training would be an exercise in backfitting. Could somebody explain why this would work?

robert99
12-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Have a look at

http://www.uk-neural.net/

thoroughbred
12-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't understand how a neural network can be expected to accurately assess the chances of various horses in a race. It would seem to me that training would be an exercise in backfitting. Could somebody explain why this would work?

Tom,

I don't believe that Neural Networks, can YET, do very well as a handicapping tool.

But, the objective of Neural Network research is to one day be able to do so.
As Computers become more powerful, they will be, more and more, able to be programmed to duplicate what the human mind does when handicapping.

In principle, whatever a handicapper does, can be done by computers when they become powerful enough.

I know this may be hard to believe, because we humans find it hard to think that a computer may, some day be able to handicap as we do.

Simply put, whatever handicapping techniques that can be described by a handicapper can be duplicated in a computer. The problem is that, as yet the computers are not powerful enough. Some day they probably will be.

dutchboy
12-08-2007, 08:14 PM
If you have access to brisnet you can download and read the manual for the Neurax and Neurax Pro software. The software is a free download. The manuals will explain the theory behind neural networks and the use of fuzzy logic to create an oddsline for each horse. I assume the computer science and math would be similiar for most nn programs. How the nets are trained can very with every user. It is an interesting read.

I don't think any other neural network software program would allow you access to the manuals without first buying the program.